Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
I'm not a troll what a guy can't give his honest view of his iMac. Sorry if I have issues with it, yes hopefully it will get easier. But sorry just stating the facts on my apple use this far. Sorry it wasn't all rainbows and sunshine like yours was.

Seems to me that your issues are twofold:

1. Not knowing how to do certain things in OS X. Not your fault that you didn't to begin with. However, learning the OS takes some effort, especially coming from Windows. There are plenty of free ways to do this on the Web, as well as books.

2. Problems with your iMac, hardware, software, or both. These are typically very difficult to diagnose without hands-on. Have you taken the computer to an Apple store or authorized reseller?

mapleleafer

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2009

comatory

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2012
No, this has nothing to do with a certain mentality Mac or PC it's about my music. There is no way in hell I'd let iTunes tag and handle my music for me. It would be a freaking mess, it lists compilations on certain albums that shouldn't be, lists an artists album by the artists of someone featured on it. I don't listen to a lot of mainstream music and most of my iTunes content is my own not bought through their store. I love iTunes as a player but when it's organized to my liking, I mostly listen to my own stuff rare cd's, tape rips, vinyl rips etc so that's why I do everything on my own.

Now what I wanted to know was just if I can easily get to this music directory...which after looking at some YouTube videos and like was mentioned here it seems simple no need for shortcuts. You just use Finder and then "Music" is probably where it should go.

Majority of the content I have in iTunes is not from the store, it's not even in the store so I get your concerns. It doesn't really matter if you bought music there or not, it is still a good program for managing your music library and it becomes much more once you own more Apple stuff (multiple computers, iOS devices, Airplay speakers...)

Now, why wouldn't you tag music via iTunes? Why so worried about compilations? Everything can be done in iTunes already.
Let me tell you, it will be a freaking mess once you start digging in your iTunes media folder - it was not made to be used like that, it might cause you some troubles.
If you need to mark certains songs as compilation, you just check a button when tagging them that they're part of compilation - they'll be neatly stored in compilation section and won't mingle with the artists section. Artwork can added manually, as well as other stuff.

But I guess it's a waste of breath, you'll already decided on how to manage the music. Why don't you skip iTunes altogether? You could use Vox and organize the stuff via finder if it suits you.

I think you're missing the big picture.

Ak907Freerider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
I know the Internet is full of all the info in the world. That is not the problem I had with apple the problem was their lack of knowledge with their software. Before I bought my iMac I did a lot of reading online. Almost every review said AppleCare is 100 % must have due to how helpful it is. Made pulling the trigger much easier. Then when it came time to follow through they were very little help. Doesn't do much good if you have to refer to forums for help. It's like buying a new car getting the warranty only to have simple issue like say how to use the auto start. So you ask the company how they don't know so you have to refer to forum to learn how. Now I'm sure it gets easier yet feel like it is trying to learn how to ride bike with no training wheels on a mountain. Apples tech support is a joke. Yet sometimes ill call and I will get someone who is extremely helpful but it has been few and far between

Last edited:

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
I know the Internet is full of all the info in the world. That is not the problem I had with apple the problem was their lack of knowledge with their software. Before I bought my iMac I did a lot of reading online. Almost every review said AppleCare is 100 % must have due to how helpful it is. Made pulling the trigger much easier. Then when it came time to follow thr

Never ever read anything about apple care being must have for such a trivial "problems" you mentioned. If ever read about being applecare must have, always for extended HW guarantee. So, again, it looks like another troll here

Ak907Freerider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
Never ever read anything about apple care being must have for such a trivial "problems" you mentioned. If ever read about being applecare must have, always for extended HW guarantee. So, again, it looks like another troll here

Ahhh so no software support but if my hdd goes out I'm good sweet I like it.

For being a troll I'm pretty loyal to the apple Eco system just new to osx. Just a honest opinion on my experience this far sorry it wasn't up to your standard of what you enjoyed.

Last edited:

redache

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2011
The slow down was gradually it gets painfully slow in final cut. I know it is a big program but started out fast now it is beach ball city, haven't added any new videos either haven't filmed in awhile. So not sure on this half tempted to restore entire system and start over and give up on using it to edit. It is faster editing on my iPad which sucks cause iMovie is pretty basic will miss the options final cut has but it seems like this comp can't handle editing without freezing and crashing

So might be out $300 for final cut x since iMac can't handle editing on it. I do a lot of hd videos anywhere from 5 min videos to full 1 hour edits

Don't wanna get way off subject anyone else out their make the switch? What did you think???

This issue is a real curiosity since Final Cut Pro X will background render things which should avoid locking up the UI. I'd wonder if there's an issue somewhere on your refurb that wasn't picked up when they refurbished it, maybe an overheating CPU or similar. This isn't normal behaviour and I would first try reinstalling OS X and if that doesn't work then I would contact Apple.

For a lot of your other complaints, this is something you need to learn. I know not having a C: Drive is confusing but OS Xs file management is the same concept just applied differently. The concept of a Home Folder is far more sensible to me and it means that my Home Folder doesn't have to exist on my primary disk, it just has to exist somewhere :).

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Majority of the content I have in iTunes is not from the store, it's not even in the store so I get your concerns. It doesn't really matter if you bought music there or not, it is still a good program for managing your music library and it becomes much more once you own more Apple stuff (multiple computers, iOS devices, Airplay speakers...)

Now, why wouldn't you tag music via iTunes? Why so worried about compilations? Everything can be done in iTunes already.
Let me tell you, it will be a freaking mess once you start digging in your iTunes media folder - it was not made to be used like that, it might cause you some troubles.
If you need to mark certains songs as compilation, you just check a button when tagging them that they're part of compilation - they'll be neatly stored in compilation section and won't mingle with the artists section. Artwork can added manually, as well as other stuff.

But I guess it's a waste of breath, you'll already decided on how to manage the music. Why don't you skip iTunes altogether? You could use Vox and organize the stuff via finder if it suits you.

I think you're missing the big picture.
How is it a mess? I know my music better then iTunes wether I tag my stuff using the get info through iTunes or tag&rename it doesn't really matter. I still have to label most of the stuff myself along with finding album art as iTunes doesnt recognize most of it half the time so whats the big fuss?? And because I don't let iTunes create folders inside of folders for albums which is pretty stupid and let it label my stuff what it wants which it gets wrong a lot of the time as in a mostly solo album labeled a compilation or listing a rap album as pop, then I shouldn't use it all together??

Do you know how stupid this sounds? iTunes is great for me in handling my huge library, ratings let me get to my favorite tunes easily to make playlists. My music in the genres and under the artist I want them to be, obscure albums have the art I scan or either find via Internet which iTunes would never automatically grab, and ya know I do own an iPhone/iPad/iPod so it manages those as well. It's ok to organize your library to how you want more people do it then you might think OSX or not mainly those with big library's it's why they give you that option. I think you're just trying to b**** about something just to do it but its ok to each their own.

Last edited:

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I really don't understand how people can be on Windows (which presents challenges to the end user often) and tolerate every issue Windows presents, spend hours of their time trying to solve an issue, is unwilling to give up, yet when they buy a Mac they act like it's the first time they've used a computer and it's just too hard for them to learn. Seems like people aren't truly willing to spend time with OS X and figure out issues, but they are more than willing to put forth the rest of their life fixing Windows.

BTW OP, TextEdit is a word processing program.

Ak907Freerider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
I really don't understand how people can be on Windows (which presents challenges to the end user often) and tolerate every issue Windows presents, spend hours of their time trying to solve an issue, is unwilling to give up, yet when they buy a Mac they act like it's the first time they've used a computer and it's just too hard for them to learn. Seems like people aren't truly willing to spend time with OS X and figure out issues, but they are more than willing to put forth the rest of their life fixing Windows.

BTW OP, TextEdit is a word processing program.

Funny Mac users brag to no end of ease of use yet when a new user has problems instead of realizing osx works much different than pc. Instead of that let's just call him a troll and tell him he is never going to be a Mac user because his mind can't adjust to osx on a whim. Real mature just bash honest review because apple is god if you don't worship apple then your wrong and aren't allowed in our club. Sorry I'm not perfect like you with your instant osx knowledge you are so perfect

Ak907Freerider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
Switching to osx was amazing I didn't have any problems. Anytime I would get a problem steve jobs would massage my back and show me how to fix it. I even farted once while typing on osx and gold pixie dust shot out must be this new amazing osx software. I can now walk on water due to my amazing Mac it is unreal. I have cured cancer with one key stroke was unreal! Iam so thankful Mac came into my life with its flawless software. People who don't own macs are losers and dumb and if they do switch to Mac and don't fart gold glitter are unworthy and stupid and must leave our land of perfection. There is that a better honest review?

comatory

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2012
How is it a mess? I know my music better then iTunes wether I tag my stuff using the get info through iTunes or tag&rename it doesn't really matter. I still have to label most of the stuff myself along with finding album art as iTunes doesnt recognize most of it half the time so whats the big fuss?? And because I don't let iTunes create folders inside of folders for albums which is pretty stupid and let it label my stuff what it wants which it gets wrong a lot of the time as in a mostly solo album labeled a compilation or listing a rap album as pop, then I shouldn't use it all together??

Do you know how stupid this sounds? iTunes is great for me in handling my huge library, ratings let me get to my favorite tunes easily to make playlists. My music in the genres and under the artist I want them to be, obscure albums have the art I scan or either find via Internet which iTunes would never automatically grab, and ya know I do own an iPhone/iPad/iPod so it manages those as well. It's ok to organize your library to how you want more people do it then you might think OSX or not mainly those with big library's it's why they give you that option. I think you're just trying to b**** about something just to do it but its ok to each their own.

Hey why so offensive, all I offered was advice. I think I just dont understand how you do things. To me, tagging is the same, whether I'm doing it in iTunes or some other (tagging) utility - iTunes is just there so it's the one I pick.
I never used the automatic tagging, from what I know iTunes will let you download album art on purchased music only.
Btw I thought that point of tagging music was always to do it manually (well, except maybe title tracks etc.) I think we just misunderstood each other.

Ak907Freerider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
I have put well over $4000 into the apple Eco system in the last 3 years think I have a right to give my honest take on a apple product. Sorry it didn't meet your golden standard of a review. But if it isn't for people to point out how something is hard to use nothing will ever advance. With out fair criticism nothing will improve we will be stuck what people consider perfect. With that mind set we would still be rocking games like Oregon trail and snake on our Nokia cell phones. People realize trolls will only bash I did give the Mac a few pats on the back but also pointed out what I found confusing.

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
Switching to osx was amazing I didn't have any problems. Anytime I would get a problem steve jobs would massage my back and show me how to fix it. I even farted once while typing on osx and gold pixie dust shot out must be this new amazing osx software. I can now walk on water due to my amazing Mac it is unreal. I have cured cancer with one key stroke was unreal! Iam so thankful Mac came into my life with its flawless software. People who don't own macs are losers and dumb and if they do switch to Mac and don't fart gold glitter are unworthy and stupid and must leave our land of perfection. There is that a better honest review?

No, this just shows we were right calling you a troll... thx, thread over - solved

thefrenches

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2009
AK - I know it looks like you are getting attacked, and you have to remember you are on an Apple-centric site, so it is to be expected.

I, however, can COMPLETELY understand your frustrations. I have a MacBook Pro, and while I knew it would be a learning curve for the new OS, I'm still not fully comfortable with it, even though I can get around just fine. You and I, and tens of millions of others, have become comfortable with Windows as an OS, and so switching to Mac OS is not easy. I hate that I can't find a 'My Documents' file, or 'Computer', but I'm slowly moving away from a lot of my old computing habits.

I plan to buy an iMac, and with it I plan to become fully educated on the Mac OS. As with everything, it takes time to become accustomed to, and current Windows OS and the most recent Mac OS systems are becoming more and more alike, which makes it easier for the switch.

There are those who consider anything Apple 'perfect', in every way, and there are those of us who may use both systems, and may be transitioning into the Mac world. I respect your frustrations, but I'm also guessing, with relative certainty, that after a few weeks, you'll have the hang of it.

Ak907Freerider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
AK - I know it looks like you are getting attacked, and you have to remember you are on an Apple-centric site, so it is to be expected.

I, however, can COMPLETELY understand your frustrations. I have a MacBook Pro, and while I knew it would be a learning curve for the new OS, I'm still not fully comfortable with it, even though I can get around just fine. You and I, and tens of millions of others, have become comfortable with Windows as an OS, and so switching to Mac OS is not easy. I hate that I can't find a 'My Documents' file, or 'Computer', but I'm slowly moving away from a lot of my old computing habits.

I plan to buy an iMac, and with it I plan to become fully educated on the Mac OS. As with everything, it takes time to become accustomed to, and current Windows OS and the most recent Mac OS systems are becoming more and more alike, which makes it easier for the switch.

There are those who consider anything Apple 'perfect', in every way, and there are those of us who may use both systems, and may be transitioning into the Mac world. I respect your frustrations, but I'm also guessing, with relative certainty, that after a few weeks, you'll have the hang of it.

Amen. Iam leaps and bounds from where I was at the beginning of the switch and can get around much better. But yes it is almost backwards in a sense to the way a lifetime windows user thinks. Like trying to learn how to back up a trailer first few try's seems impossible next thing you know you have it down pat and it requires no thought process. It really boils down to flat out user time of use and it will come. Just pointing out what I myself have struggled with and I know I'm not the first nor will I be the last

Wolffie

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2008
Word Processor?

Have you found a good word processor yet?

TextEdit is on your machine

OpenOffice - here

LibreOffice - here

both very similar, both free.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Funny Mac users brag to no end of ease of use yet when a new user has problems instead of realizing osx works much different than pc. Instead of that let's just call him a troll and tell him he is never going to be a Mac user because his mind can't adjust to osx on a whim. Real mature just bash honest review because apple is god if you don't worship apple then your wrong and aren't allowed in our club. Sorry I'm not perfect like you with your instant osx knowledge you are so perfect

Very offensive post. I never once called you a troll, I never once bragged about OS X's ease of use and I never once bashed you and I never said "Apple is God" and I never once claimed to be perfect. Nice how you jumped to conclusions on the part that I highlighted. Calm down. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

----------

Have you found a good word processor yet?

TextEdit is on your machine

Actually I already mentioned TextEdit but I was called a basher in the process instead of recognizing I was offering help. ;)

Ak907Freerider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
Very offensive post. I never once called you a troll, I never once bragged about OS X's ease of use and I never once bashed you and I never said "Apple is God" and I never once claimed to be perfect. Nice how you jumped to conclusions on the part that I highlighted. Calm down. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

----------

Actually I already mentioned TextEdit but I was called a basher in the process instead of recognizing I was offering help. ;)

I do appreciate your help I will look into those apps tonight. About the troll thing it isn't u saying it sorry if it seems I directed it toward you. Others are using the troll card

thefrenches

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2009
AK, why not get Office for Mac? I plan to, only because it's so common with business documents, etc.

Nov 28, 2010
located
I hate that I can't find a 'My Documents' file, or 'Computer'

There is a "Documents" folder in your home directory (in Finder press CMD+SHIFT+H to see it or click on the YOURNAMEHERE entry with a house icon in the Sidebar)and you can also have the equivalent of "Computer" visible via CMD+SHIFT+C and can even have it visible in the Sidebar (Finder > Preferences > Sidebar > Devices > top entry needs to be checked).

Is that understandable?

thefrenches

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2009
There is a "Documents" folder in your home directory (in Finder press CMD+SHIFT+H to see it or click on the YOURNAMEHERE entry with a house icon in the Sidebar)and you can also have the equivalent of "Computer" visible via CMD+SHIFT+C and can even have it visible in the Sidebar (Finder > Preferences > Sidebar > Devices > top entry needs to be checked).

Is that understandable?

Absolutely - when I get my iMac, I plan to learn all these tricks. They are much less important on the MBP because it's only a temporary computing solution for me when I travel. Thanks.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I do appreciate your help I will look into those apps tonight. About the troll thing it isn't u saying it sorry if it seems I directed it toward you. Others are using the troll card

Oh okay, I thought your post seemed over the top in regards to the statement I made. I think you accidentally quoted me when you may have meant someone else..I hope?

As far as anything I mentioned, I'm just saying take your time and learn the system. There are people that buy a Mac and instantly come here with the attitude of "giving up" and it shocks me that these same people come from the Windows world where it's generally common to sit down and spend hours until the problem is solved.
Apple's OS X system is actually great but far from "perfect" as no OS is perfect but you'll find many things that you are annoyed with now are not like you think they are. For example, when you download or add pictures to your Mac they don't automatically go to iPhoto as you mentioned, there is in fact a Pictures folder in the Finder.

Check out TextEdit, it's a nice basic word processor and if you need more advanced editing then you can try other paid or free Mac apps. Also search for apps or ask someone here before you decide that an application is Windows-only. That used to be the case but other than gaming it's hardly the case anymore.

There are going to be certain people that don't want to hear negatives about Macs but don't run away because of that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.