Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

serkan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2012
Menlo Park,California
Hello there programmers :)

I am really new and into this business with a friend of mine and we would like to publish an app together with him.It will be a very basic one and easy to use.But there is one problem that I couldnt solve.We would like to connect the app to the phone.I mean in the app when the client hits the name tag it will automaticly switches to the phone and dials that number and calls it.It must be easy as like, the client of the app have to click the name and put the phone into his ear and talk.How can we do this ? Any ideas ?

It could sound really stupid question but I hope we will get a good begginers answer :D

P.S : My friend know some C and C++ will it bwe helpfull for us to create a basic app ?

Thanx all :)

jnoxx

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2010
Aartselaar // Antwerp // Belgium
There is a telephone link in the Xcode SDK (Cocoa Touch API).
In about 4 seconds of google search, you get this ->
Code:
-(IBAction)callPhone:(id)sender {
    [[UIApplication sharedApplication] openURL:[NSURL URLWithString:@"tel:2135554321"]];
}

It will open the tel: scheme -> including the number, so it just has to press the button and it will call it :)

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
I mean in the app when the client hits the name tag it will automaticly switches to the phone and dials that number and calls it.

Just to be clear, jnoxx's solution only brings up the call interface with the number filled-in; the user must still press a button to make the actual call. There is no way with the iOS SDK to have an app call automatically.

amorya

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
Just to be clear, jnoxx's solution only brings up the call interface with the number filled-in; the user must still press a button to make the actual call. There is no way with the iOS SDK to have an app call automatically.

I don't think that's correct. I'm using it in one of my apps and it does actually initiate the call, with no user confirmation required.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
I don't think that's correct. I'm using it in one of my apps and it does actually initiate the call, with no user confirmation required.

Well, I'll be damned. You're right! Maybe they've changed that since I last remember trying it. Anyways, good news for the OP!

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Well, I'll be damned. You're right! Maybe they've changed that since I last remember trying it. Anyways, good news for the OP!

As a user, that sounds like an issue to me. Actions like calling shouldn't be possible with a single accidental tap.

serkan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2012
Menlo Park,California
As a user, that sounds like an issue to me. Actions like calling shouldn't be possible with a single accidental tap.

Actually its not going to be a accidental tap.You have to open the program first and then you should choose and call.Actually the program will be based on calling so the person who opens the program will open it to call :) So no accidental D: I am sorry that I dont tell the app :) When it comes out I hope you will see it and use it then you ll understand why I say its not accidental :D

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Actually its not going to be a accidental tap.You have to open the program first and then you should choose and call.Actually the program will be based on calling so the person who opens the program will open it to call :) So no accidental D: I am sorry that I dont tell the app :) When it comes out I hope you will see it and use it then you ll understand why I say its not accidental :D

You're not making an app that's equivalent to the Favorites tab of the built-in Phone app, are you?

serkan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2012
Menlo Park,California
You're not making an app that's equivalent to the Favorites tab of the built-in Phone app, are you?

Nope sir :)

It's a secret :D

I live in Turkey and the app that I will make is really important for our country but I dont know will it be that important for other countries.First I will publish it for Turkish Apple Store and further more I do researches I will publish it for other countries as well :)

jnoxx

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2010
Aartselaar // Antwerp // Belgium

I think they changed that in iOS 6, and I also think there is a difference between a NEW number or one that's in your contacts library, but I can't confirm 100% So this aint legit :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.