Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
So what? The new thunderbolt monitors are going to come with magsafe2 and a new adaptor for the 2011 laptops? :confused:

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
I was gonna get that iMac just for the new screen but the price tag threw me for what you get and the other annoyances. I am eagerly waiting on this new external display. It will of course have the same laminated screen! :D

As others have said in this thread already, it can't happen until the iMac supply is steady because iMacs are a bigger selling point and have much more demand. The likeliness of the external display releasing with the next mac pro sounds logical so I bet we will see it Q1 or very early Q2 :D I wish I didn't have to wait that long.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
There are way better monitors out there than the Thunderbolt display, you're waiting for nothing.... and for your current one, you could always get a sturdy VESA monitor stand. Just sayin'

Again, it's not just a MONITOR that I want. It's the "one connection" needed for fast, functional laptop tethering. I have several USB3 drives that I rely on for various things. I currently use a little hub, but that makes another thing to plug in every time I get home. Plus ethernet, power, iPhone dock, optical drive, etc. It'd be great to have one little connection to run all that stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

cosmicjoke

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2011
Portland, OR
Again, it's not just a MONITOR that I want. It's the "one connection" needed for fast, functional laptop tethering. I have several USB3 drives that I rely on for various things. I currently use a little hub, but that makes another thing to plug in every time I get home. Plus ethernet, power, iPhone dock, optical drive, etc. It'd be great to have one little connection to run all that stuff.

There are other 2560x1440p monitors w/ built in USB 3 hub though, the Samsung S27A850D for example... While it isn't all in one cable like TB, the lack of glare from the tempered glass, an OSD, a ton of inputs, and the ability to swivel make it a compelling buy (I own two TBDs for the record, in retrospect - worst purchase ever for too many reasons to list).

Also check the U2711HM, the updated Dell display is now semi-glossy and LED w/ 4 USB 3.0 ports, seems they addressed the gripes w/ the U2711...

Last edited by a moderator:

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
I am probably stuck waiting because I don't think they'll ever do a non-glossy one, and I really want non-glossy displays.

cosmicjoke

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2011
Portland, OR
I am probably stuck waiting because I don't think they'll ever do a non-glossy one, and I really want non-glossy displays.

well, if the next TBD is like the new iMac it should be great for average home lighting, the majority of reflection on current TBD is coming from the tempered glass. though i still think semi-glossy looks best myself, a very light AG coating (unlike the way overly aggressive one on the old U2711)... everything still looks very sharp w/ very little glare in most lighting.

Last edited:

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
well, if the next TBD it's like the new iMac it should be great for average home lighting, the majority of reflection on current TBD is coming from the tempered glass. though i still think semi-glossy looks best myself, a very light AG coating (unlike the way overly aggressive one on the old U2711)... everything still looks very sharp w/ very little glare in most lighting.

agreed, if new TBD/ACD will be like new imac display, it will be great display, one of best and I will definitely go for it:D

cosmicjoke

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2011
Portland, OR
agreed, if new TBD/ACD will be like new imac display, it will be great display, one of best and I will definitely go for it:D

it will be a lot better anyways, the stand will still lack adjustable height, swivel, no OSD, no multiple inputs, TB cable is limited to two meters.. TBDs have fairly limited functionality w/ other operating systems as well, i have two and only one works in Windows (can't daisy chain them) no hot plugging in Windows either, sometimes will boot up in 640x480 in Windows and requires a reboot to get 2560x1440p back... is just kind of glitchy w/ Windows and they still haven't solved it.... in osx if you use multiple TBDs it never remembers your arrangement when plugging them in, lol... TBD is far better if you only have one or always have them plugged in if you have two (like w/ an iMac). in retrospect I wish i hadn't bought them.

they are sexy and silver though :rolleyes:

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
it will be a lot better anyways, the stand will still lack adjustable height, swivel, no OSD, no multiple inputs, TB cable is limited to two meters.. TBDs have fairly limited functionality w/ other operating systems as well, i have two and only one works in Windows (can't daisy chain them) no hot plugging in Windows either, sometimes will boot up in 640x480 in Windows and requires a reboot to get 2560x1440p back... is just kind of glitchy w/ Windows and they still haven't solved it.... in osx if you use multiple TBDs it never remembers your arrangement when plugging them in, lol... TBD is far better if you only have one or always have them plugged in if you have two (like w/ an iMac). in retrospect I wish i hadn't bought them.

All this problems are fortunately not my own, i do plan only one display and only under mac os x:d But if there is anyone who will find working and cute solution how to join my next year mini and my xbox into this simultaneuosly, he will be my hero:D

cosmicjoke

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2011
Portland, OR
All this problems are fortunately not my own, i do plan only one display and only under mac os x:d But if there is anyone who will find working and cute solution how to join my next year mini and my xbox into this simultaneuosly, he will be my hero:D

Won't happen unless M$ releases an xbox with a thunderbolt port....

andy.barron

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2006
Bedford, England
Right, so please forgive Apple if it takes them a few months to push USB3 across their entire product line. Thunderbolt Display itself didn't even exist little over a year ago, for chrissakes.

Or is there someone with a gun to your head forcing you spend $1,000 on TB display with USB2 ports here and now? I didn't think so.

You have an overinflated sense of entitlement of what you think Apple owes you. Watch this video - reminds me of people like you.

Agreed!!:D

However, didn't agree with the English reference & the bloke 'Conan' seems to be a bit of a brown noser. Last time I heard of him, he had muscles & was a barbarian?

IbisDoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2010
Maybe if you started getting laid you'd realize your silver peripherals really aren't that sexy... There are way better monitors out there than the Thunderbolt display, you're waiting for nothing.... and for your current one, you could always get a sturdy VESA monitor stand. Just sayin'

Something tells me that if this comment had gone the other way (from critic to apologist), the mods would have taken action.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
It's pretty offensive that Apple continues to sell a Thunderbolt display without USB3.

Ya know, there are plenty of monitors out there without USB *at all* to choose from?

----------

There are other 2560x1440p monitors w/ built in USB 3 hub though, the Samsung S27A850D for example... While it isn't all in one cable like TB, ..

I find it offensive that samsung expect me to deal with seperate USB cables.

Waah.

Seriously guys, buy what you want. If apple doesn't make it look elsewhere.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
Seriously guys, buy what you want. If apple doesn't make it look elsewhere.

I want a 2560x1440 Thunderbolt monitor with USB3 + Gigabit ethernet that isn't housed in black plastic.

Please link to me so that I may purchase.

iamthedudeman

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2007

Your problem there is using windows in the first place, it's glitchy, not the monitor. Microsoft needs to update their drivers for the TB display, not Apple.

The TB display was meant to be a simple solution to dock your laptoop too, and it does that well. USB 3 is really not needed when you have thunderbolt. The external thunderbolt drives have come down in price, no reason not to get one or two.

I have two TBD's on my desk at work ant two at home. The monitor cannot remember anything, it's OSX as far as the ports go. If you didn't like them, why buy two?

And you missed the point of NMF's post, he wants a alternative to the TB display that provided a simple docking solution similar to the thunderbolt display with a similar quality panel. Right now there isn't one that exists besides Apple and Asus.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/07/asus-shows-off-its-first-thunderbolt-monitor-along-with-3d-and/

It would be better to get a display that is cheaper and probably better with similar color reproduction and IPS and attach it too a thunderbolt dock.

http://www.matrox.com/docking_station/en/ds1/

It should be avail next week.

Or this:

http://www.belkin.com/us/thunderbolt

The belkin is expensive and not avail until early next year.

Heres another which is vapor ware right now. Says avail Q4, which is now.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/thunderbolt-hdd-blu-ray-dock,15926.html

Or you could buy one of these. And bypass USB 3 altogether or your backup needs.

http://www.amazon.com/BUFFALO-MiniS...qid=1354949280&sr=8-5&keywords=thunderbolt+hd

Last edited:

cosmicjoke

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2011
Portland, OR
Your problem there is using windows in the first place, it's glitchy, not the monitor. Microsoft needs to update their drivers for the TB display, not Apple.

The TB display was meant to be a simple solution to dock your laptoop too, and it does that well. USB 3 is really not needed when you have thunderbolt. The external thunderbolt drives have come down in price, no reason not to get one or two.

I have two TBD's on my desk at work ant two at home. The monitor cannot remember anything, it's OSX as far as the ports go. If you didn't like them, why buy two?

And you missed the point of NMF's post, he wants a alternative to the TB display that provided a simple docking solution similar to the thunderbolt display with a similar quality panel. Right now there isn't one that exists besides Apple and Asus.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/07/asus-shows-off-its-first-thunderbolt-monitor-along-with-3d-and/

It would be better to get a display that is cheaper and probably better with similar color reproduction and IPS and attach it too a thunderbolt dock.

http://www.matrox.com/docking_station/en/ds1/

It should be avail next week.

Or this:

http://www.belkin.com/us/thunderbolt

The belkin is expensive and not avail until early next year.

Heres another which is vapor ware right now. Says avail Q4, which is now.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/thunderbolt-hdd-blu-ray-dock,15926.html

Or you could buy one of these. And bypass USB 3 altogether or your backup needs.

http://www.amazon.com/BUFFALO-MiniS...qid=1354949280&sr=8-5&keywords=thunderbolt+hd

Actually, there are no drivers for Thunderbolt for Windows, and it wouldn't be Microsoft updating their drivers, as it's Intel's technology. Intel doesn't make drivers for TB for Windows though, rather treating it as PCI-E and Displayport... PCI-E is plug and play, it just works (though the devices themselves may need particular drivers) and also the TBD uses Displayport 1.2, which doesn't support daisychaining displays.... so it appears it basically is never going to work in Windows with two of them because of this. It's an OS X only feature.

Anyways, why did I buy two? I bought them at the time because I intended to use dual displays. Believe it or not, Apple didn't exactly advertise that they worked like garbage with Windows or any of the other myriad of issues I've encountered with them. On a surface level they looked pretty great, it seemed like the right choice - it's only after actually owning them and using them on a day to day basis that I discovered they are mediocre at best, and that there are way better alternatives available.

FWIW I think you missed the point of his post, he wants Apple to make a TB Display w/ USB 3.0... Even if a PC manufacturer had all the other specs in line, they will never have the apple aesthetic in all of its aluminum glory... or something like that. I myself disagree with him though.

Last edited:

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
I want a 2560x1440 Thunderbolt monitor with USB3 + Gigabit ethernet that isn't housed in black plastic.

Please link to me so that I may purchase.

Nothing. You are just going to have to wait. Life is hard for you, isn't it?

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
To use 4K external monitor what kind of video card and native resolution would you need in a MBP/MPA? I don't see than in any 2013 release.

LeakedDave

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
To use 4K external monitor what kind of video card and native resolution would you need in a MBP/MPA? I don't see than in any 2013 release.

Well my rMBP can run two 2560x1440 monitors + its own native resolution of 2880x1800.

And.. http://forums.redflagdeals.com/9k-resolution-rmbp-1217271/

And me... I dream of 3 27" 4k laminated cinema displays daisy chained at my desk... powered off an rMBP.. I guess I'll keep dreaming. :]

Last edited:

stevej2001

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2012
Noticed something...

Like others in this thread, I'm waiting anxiously for a usb3 TBD.

What I've noticed in the past week or so (correct me if I'm wrong) is softening of the price of the current monitor. Even Amazon was just a few dollars below $999; now it's $949. B&H is selling it for $929.

Could this foreshadow imminent upgrade?

(I hope so)

pbmagnet4

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2009
Those prices have been like that for months now. Frys has had it for 800$ for a while aswell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.