Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theman510

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2009
New Jersey
I have an iPad 3 jailbroken on iOS 5.x and my co-worker asked if I could jailbreak her iPad so she could use some of the Cydia apps I told her about. She brought it in and it's an iPad 2 on iOS 4.3.0.

I was looking around on iClarified and found a tutorial for jailbreaking the iPad using Absinthe 2.0 but the iPad needs to be on iOS 5.1.1. Is it possible to upgrade just to 5.1.1 and not go to 6.x? Is Apple still signing the 5.1.1? No blobs or SHSH was saved (tbh I don't know what those do but I know enough to use tinyumbrella on my i devices)

I have a very basic understanding of the jailbreaking process and am only skilled in following tutorials lol. Any help is appreciated.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
If it's 4.3.0 (not 4.3.5), you can jailbreak using JailbreakMe by going to http://www.jailbreakme.com on the device.

You'll have to stay on 4.3 though, and if anything goes wrong, you'll have no choice but to upgrade to iOS6

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
This ^^ is incorrect

Only 4.3.3 can be jailbroken on iPad 2

My apologies, the official version of Jailbreakme does only seem to support 4.3.3.

But, if you search around (I wont/can't link for obvious reasons), you will find the PDF which works with 4.3.0.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
My apologies, the official version of Jailbreakme does only seem to support 4.3.3.

But, if you search around (I wont/can't link for obvious reasons), you will find the PDF which works with 4.3.0.

I stand corrected.
There was some leaked beta PDF's floating around years ago.

Last edited:

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
That is also false.
The JBme.com works on 4.3 to 4.3.3 on the original ipad but for the ipad 2 it needs to be on 4.3.3
If there was a pdf or a version that works with 4.3, 4.3.1 and 4.3.2 dont you think they would have included it on the jailbrekme website?

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&tbo=...4a39aa790e16ce&bpcl=39650382&biw=1118&bih=686

That's the file you want, it's not false - please don't falsely accuse me of making things up. There are a couple of other similar files. Since they've been patched together/are leaks, theres a couple of different files you may need to try to see which on works with your config.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&tbo=...4a39aa790e16ce&bpcl=39650382&biw=1118&bih=686

That's the file you want, it's not false - please don't falsely accuse me of making things up. There are a couple of other similar files. Since they've been patched together/are leaks, theres a couple of different files you may need to try to see which on works with your config.

I dont know.
All these files display ipad not ipad 2.
If you find one that you think or know works for the ipad 2 on 4.3 then why not attach it here to a post?
But to me its weird if those pdf's do exist how come they were not uploaded to the original jailbreake website to JB the ipad 2 on previous versions besides only 4.3.3?

Last edited:

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I dont know.
All these files display ipad not ipad 2.
If you find one that you think or know works for the ipad 2 on 4.3 then why not attach it here to a post?
But to me its weird if those pdf's do exist how come they were not uploaded to the original jailbreake website to JB the ipad 2 on previous versions besides only 4.3.3?

It's a leaked version - I don't know one that works because I do not have an iPad 2 running 4.3 to test. If you search for the filename, or even simply "jailbreakme 4.3 ipad 2" you will find more info about them. Comex is aware of them, I believe they're from a build of Jailbreakme just before its final release.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
That is also false.
The JBme.com works on 4.3 to 4.3.3 on the original ipad but for the ipad 2 it needs to be on 4.3.3
If there was a pdf or a version that works with 4.3, 4.3.1 and 4.3.2 dont you think they would have included it on the jailbrekme website?

Actually, the beta version of jailbreak.me was "leaked" by a beta tester who comex trusted to test it (obviously a mistake) and it will, in fact, work on 4.3.0.

That said, I never recommend these unauthorized versions to others for obvious reasons.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Actually, the beta version of jailbreak.me was "leaked" by a beta tester who comex trusted to test it (obviously a mistake) and it will, in fact, work on 4.3.0.

That said, I never recommend these unauthorized versions to others for obvious reasons.

Nice.
If in desperate situations like this its worth to try a beta JB pdf I guess:D
You wouldnt happen to have one saved to help out the OP would ya?:D

theman510

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2009
New Jersey
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll stay away from anything beta just in case, especially since this isn't my iPad. I'll try and do some more research on that pdf since I'm not really sure what to do once it's downloaded. Thanks for the starting point and the ideas!

Oh and FYI I went to jailbreakme.com on the ipad (it's how I JB my iPad 2 back in the day) and it's saying not supported on the ipad 2.

Edit: I downloaded the pdf (iPad_4.3_8F190-4.pdf) and it's on my computer. Should I have downloaded it directly from the ipad through safari?

Last edited:

theman510

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2009
New Jersey
Yes.
Either download it or email it and open it on that iPad.

Just tried it and it crashes safari initially and then again every time I open safari. The only way to fix this is to go into settings and clear the cache/history. Is that an indication of a bad PDF?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.