Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iAi

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2012
Again, this AFTER I activate my iPhone 5 and I begin a new two year contract with AT&T. :mad:

Oh well, I suppose AT&T will really have to offer me a sweet deal to stick with them in two years. Competition is a great thing! :)

this is why you invest or save money for the unlock phones if your carrier is a devil. :D

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
from the Walmart website

"The $30 Unlimited Web & Text with 100 min talk plan works only with T-Mobile Phones purchased from a Walmart store or from Walmart.com."

I currently have the plan with an iPhone 5 and so do many others. I activated it on a dumb phone and then switched the sim card to my 4S last summer.

ComSense

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2002
Bodymore, Murderland, USA
Is that a joke? Their 3G isn't even par.

Riiiiiiiiight. Their 3G really "isn't par" [sic], no sir, not at all:

Thanks, but I'll take those 3G speeds.

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    431.3 KB · Views: 86

ComSense

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2002
Here a statement per dowjones.com:

"T-Mobile USA's CEO John Legere said that it will be a "different and unique product" and that all analyst reports on T-Mobile USA's adaption of the iPhone "have been wrong." Still, it will take several months until Apple products will be launched, Legere also said at the Bonn event.

What's weird about this is that Legere has also said the exact opposite today, too, according to this LA Times story:
John Legere, chief executive of T-Mobile USA, has confirmed the network will carry the iPhone. Talking about upcoming smartphones T-Mobile will carry, he held up an iPhone, saying the list included the Apple device.

So . . . I'm confused as hell, but I want to believe the latter quote. Hard to say, when BOTH come from the same guy at the same event on the same day.

HipHopTrex

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2012
Consider me excited. I love T-Mobile, have since I got a sidekick. The prices are nice, phones are acceptable.

Bought a 3GS unlocked over a year ago (Im cheap) but can't wait to upgrade it when the iPhone is officially available at stores.:D

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
this is why you invest or save money for the unlock phones if your carrier is a devil. :D

I'd rather have my carrier subsidize my phone if I'm going to use their services rather than buy an unlocked phone AND pay for their services.

I really wanted to jump ship to Sprint because of their truly unlimited data (non-throttled) and text plans. I ultimately decided to stick with the devil for the following reasons: they offered to give me the same rate plan as Sprint, I get to keep my "unlimited" plan, AT&T waived the stupid upgrade fee, and Sprint's slow 3G and limited 4G/LTE network. Of course, staying with AT&T has it's drawbacks: less than half-decent customer service, data throttling, and limited LTE coverage.

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
The MAJOR QUESTION is:

Will T-Mo jack up the price for the "iPhone Plan"?

Looking at the other three carriers, forget competitive pricing, they all start at $80/month... :eek:

:rolleyes:

this is a great opportunity for tmobile to undercut the big carriers and finally bring back customers that have been siphoning away the past several years.

tmobile has some great pre-paid and value plans and I hope tmobile offering the iphone will strengthen the pre paid market

coolant113

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
New Jersey
Whats up with Apple PR?

So who the he** at Apple let t-mobile announce this before they could.... Would have thought that Apple would not let this be announced without a big event, or possibly the 5S announcement that will now presumably be on t-mobile also. Apple quietly comfirmed it with no big announcement, verry UN-APPLE like.... :apple::apple:

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
Riiiiiiiiight. Their 3G really "isn't par" [sic], no sir, not at all:

Thanks, but I'll take those 3G speeds.

Nice speeds in Richmond, VA. Curious to know if you have ever traveled down I64E to Hampton Roads (Norfolk/Virginia Beach) and if you ran into similar speeds down there??? ;)
/
/
/

iPusch

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
Manhattan, New York
Ja, ist es Deutsche Telekom!

oh right, they talked a bit about those 4G capability stuff on the iPhone 5 keynote... Deutsch Telekom ;) I remember...but I thought it is just the german part of the company, like the HQ is in "not Germany" and besides that main company in "not Germany" they have a lower German part -__- okay, I gettin' confused by myself haha... btw funny german stuff you talking there :eek:

RotaryP7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2011
Miami, FL
This is 100 percent correct. I have the $30 plan right now and I fully expect T-Mobile to take it away from everyone when the iPhone officially comes on board.

----------

So T-Mobile will be carrying the iPhone 5 in early 2013 and won't have to wait for the 4S?

Don't know. All I know is that my store received iPhone 5 cases and accessories. I never saw any 4/4S cases.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
Don't know. All I know is that my store received iPhone 5 cases and accessories. I never saw any 4/4S cases.

Sorry, I mean the 5S, not 4S.

I was asking if the fact that you guys are getting iPhone 5 cases means that T-Mobile might be carrying the iPhone 5 shortly, maybe in the next month or two.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
The point is that this plan will not be available anymore when the iPhone officially comes to T-Mobile.

This is when TMO becomes ATT and continues to change plans till they become twisted like Darth Vader. I hope they don't change just cause they have Apple.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
This is when TMO becomes ATT and continues to change plans till they become twisted like Darth Vader. I hope they don't change just cause they have Apple.

T-Mobile is eliminating their subsidized "Classic" phone plans and moving exclusively to their unsubsidized "Value" plans where you buy your phone separately from the plan (though I *think* you can still make payments).

So unlocked phones vs. AT&T's locked phones and no monthly subsidized billing rates when your phone has been paid off. I'd say those are two distinct differences from AT&T, not including the lower T-Mobile rates.

Link: https://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/0...ng-subsidized-device-pricing-options-in-2013/

Last edited:

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
from the Walmart website

"The $30 Unlimited Web & Text with 100 min talk plan works only with T-Mobile Phones purchased from a Walmart store or from Walmart.com."

The Walmart website is wrong. It's also available as a "web only" deal on T-Mobile's website. A few months back I signed up for the plan and bought a SIM, which I then popped into my iPhone 3GS.

T-Mobile is very supportive of people who want to bring their own phone... of any type (not just iPhones in other words).

T-Mobile also has been selling nano-sims on their website since November, so there's no reason you couldn't get an unlocked iPhone 5 and put it on this plan. At some point I'll probably do that.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
DT is also spinning off T-Mobile USA into it's own corporate entity (will be separately publicly traded) as soon as the MetroPCS merger is finalized. This is a great year for T-Mobile.

My question is, how soon can we expect to see them start selling the phones/Apple products? You'd think they'd want to do something relatively soon, considering that there are already areas with full 4G LTE coverage -- particularly big metro areas that claim the most customers nominally speaking. The longer they wait, the more potential customers they could lose.

I think late 2013/summer is too far. I predict something much, much sooner.

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I think that $30/month plan is a value plan, which requires you to pay full price for your phone anyway.

No the $30 per month is a Monthly 4G(Prepaid) plan. The Value plans are 2yr contract postpaid plans.

----------

Looks like T-Mobile is already looking beyond Sprint and plans to go directly after AT&T.

http://www.tmonews.com/2012/12/did-...ly-hint-at-iphone-pricing-marketing-campaign/

“We’re going to target Sprint. No, that’s not right. Sprint is too easy to target from a network standpoint. We’re going to target AT&T.”

ComSense

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2002
Nice speeds in Richmond, VA. Curious to know if you have ever traveled down I64E to Hampton Roads (Norfolk/Virginia Beach) and if you ran into similar speeds down there??? ;)
/
/
/

I haven't, but I've seen a number of refarmed 3G sightings in that area on airportal.de, and you'll probably see similar speeds there, too. At least in the spots where there were 3G "sightings."

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
You might be better off terminating it yourself and paying ETF fees, if you indeed will be saving $50

I wish I could as of right now, but it's not financially feasible. My contract would cost $300 to Terminate while my wife's would cost about $225ish. If I had the extra money now, that would be great, but I don't. I've even tried sells stuff to try and terminate, but people don't seem to be into 49ers memorabilia as much as they used to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.