Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

snapseed-150x142.jpg
After being named the 2011 App of the Year, popular iOS photo editing app Snapseed was acquired by Google when the company purchased Nik Software.

Google today dropped the price of Snapseed, making the app free to download. Previously, the iOS version of Snapseed cost $4.99. The update also brings new filters, Google+ integration, and a new icon. From the App Store description:
New Retrolux filter! Use one of the newly created film styles, combined with a range of different scratches and textures as well as light leaks to create a truly retro look for your photos.

Updated Frames filter! Now includes a wide range of new, high quality photographic frames. Colorize the frame edges to match the look of your image or switch to square mode with a single tap.
Aside from the filters, the free version of Snapseed appears to be the same as the previous paid version, but there is a new splash page which refers to the app as "Google+ Snapseed."

The iOS version of Snapseed [App Store] is currently available in the App Store at no cost. The Mac version of the app [Mac App Store] has yet to be updated and is still a $19.99 download in the Mac App Store. Google also released an Android version of the app, which is available for free in the Google Play store.

Article Link: Snapseed Adds New Filters, Goes Free

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I hope the Mac app store version goes free too. I paid $4.99 for the iOS long ago. :mad:

musser

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2004
'Free' from Google?

I guarantee you... if it's from Google, it ain't free. Oh, you may not have to pay upfront for it, but you'll pay... SOMEthing...SOME way, eventually. I'm sure it's yet another scheme by Google to get your personal information. I'm staying clear of it like I do now from all things Google.

sir1963nz

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2012
Why...

I hope the Mac app store version goes free too. I paid $4.99 for the iOS long ago. :mad:

$4.99 seems cheap to have Google NOT snoop on everything you do, NOT to feed you adverts, NOT to "accidentally" bypass your security/do not track settings and have then say sorry later for it.

Google has become untrustworthy in my books, their motto should be changed to "Don't be caught being evil"

iWe

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
I guarantee you... if it's from Google, it ain't free. Oh, you may not have to pay upfront for it, but you'll pay... SOMEthing...SOME way, eventually. I'm sure it's yet another scheme by Google to get your personal information. I'm staying clear of it like I do now from all things Google.
Same here.

Erwin-Br

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2008
The Netherlands
NOT to "accidentally" bypass your security/do not track settings and have then say sorry later for it.

Bypass what security? The people who's network got accessed by Google didn't have their WPA security on and left the door wide open. Not saying that's an excuse, but I'm wondering why you're making things sound worse than they are.

And please tell me which company doesn't track their users. Apple serves ads too.

Sardonick007

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
I really like this app. Glad it's free. I really like the G+ direct integration for uploading edited shots. It's fast, and the filters are nice and responsive. Not bad. Google or not, it's a nice app.

qtx43

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
Bypass what security? The people who's network got accessed by Google didn't have their WPA security on and left the door wide open. Not saying that's an excuse, but I'm wondering why you're making things sound worse than they are.

And please tell me which company doesn't track their users. Apple serves ads too.
What about Google's javascript malware which circumvented Safari's "do not track" option. They wanted official blessing from Apple via their maps app, but didn't get it. If they behave true to form, they'll be doing everything they can to circumvent iOS's security restrictions too.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida

it's okay, google is watching you post on macrumors right now :D

ViperDesign

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Utah

If you are that worried you might as well just get off the internet right now. Cut the cord and play outside, oh yeah, can't do that either because someone is watching you there as well.

Your phones are tapped, your computer is tapped, your entire life is tapped.

Welcome to the new world. And if you don't think every single communication is being watched, you haven't seen the HUGE facility the NSA is building here in Utah to do so even better than before

glintoz

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
A

$4.99 seems cheap to have Google NOT snoop on everything you do, NOT to feed you adverts, NOT to "accidentally" bypass your security/do not track settings and have then say sorry later for it.

Google has become untrustworthy in my books, their motto should be changed to "Don't be caught being evil"

Nothing from large corporates is ever free. I ain't giving them anything (well knowingly or willingly anyway).

I equate Google to Skynet from Terminator 2... as long as it never goes sentient we are fine......

DesterWallaboo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2003
Western USA

I agree with everything you said here.

----------

If you are that worried you might as well just get off the internet right now. Cut the cord and play outside, oh yeah, can't do that either because someone is watching you there as well.

Welcome to the new world. And if you don't think every single communication is being watched, you haven't seen the HUGE facility the NSA is building here in Utah to do so even better than before

It's called 'reducing your exposure'.... I won't willingly give them access to my information in exchange for some nifty app.

DesterWallaboo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2003
Western USA

Apple doesn't sell your personal information, whereas that is Google's primary business.

naveah

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2011
Atlanta
This is fantastic. Slowly—but surely—Google is encroaching on Apple’s iOS turf. With all these app launches from Google in the past few weeks, I feel that a Google Maps app is imminent.

I also wonder if the same (free) fate awaits the Sparrow app, purchased by Google a few months ago?

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009

As long as it doesn't secretly upload all my photos to their server I'm fine with that. What can it steal provided that iOS 6 now asks me if it wants to access my contacts, calendar, etc. etc. Oh not to mention I use gmail... it's definitely the best free mail service on the planet.

----------

When Google Earth can zoom up to street level on a remote city in Central Asia, I'm sure many countries in the world can watch your every step just by flicking on a button. Not to mention online activities. If you think there is any privacy on the internet you're delusional. :p Apple's apps are sandboxed and what they can potentially do with an iOS app is minimal. With 75% of so called market share of Android phones, I'm sure Google is more interested in their data than ours.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
As a photographer, my concern isn't for Snapseed. I'm hoping Google doesn't kill off the excellent Nik software toolsets such as Viveza, Dfine, Sharpener Pro, etc. that it got in their acquisition of Snapseed.

Apple's apps are sandboxed and what they can potentially do with an iOS app is minimal. With 75% of so called market share of Android phones, I'm sure Google is more interested in their data than ours.

Nothing is off limits when a company lacks ethics:

Google Circumvents Safari Privacy Protections - This is Why We Need Do Not Track

Last edited:

CodeBreaker

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2010
Sea of Tranquility
Got excited, installed it, used it. It is a fine image editor. But as soon I learnt that it got Googled, I deleted it. Not sure why. Anyways, I use the default camera app on my phone to snap, and editing only happens on my Mac, if required.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
I hate these app icons that introduce this kind of idiotic, tilted perspective. Who thought that was a good idea?

Checked out the app. Nothing special. I find the interface confusing, and if you have to have a tutorial screen for every feature, you haven't made an intuitive interface. But I guess that fits right in with Google's products.

taxiapple

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
Fake

This app has been changing it's price back and forth between $4.99 & free
since it was released.
Since June of 2011 it has flip floped 14 times.....more than most politicians.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002

Yes, there are many privacy threats... but they are not all equal.

The difference being that Google makes nearly ALL their money from tracking users. It’s what makes ads worth so much to buy. Subtracting Google from your privacy problems is no empty gesture: others may have some of your data... but Google won’t have it and won’t be renting it out (anonymized or otherwise). Same goes for Facebook. I’d rather have the NSA track me than NSA + Google + Facebook.

Whereas other companies aren’t so focused on that—such as Apple, who makes nearly ALL their money by providing a good experience that keeps customers returning.

That said, if Google does anything sneaky with Snapseed, they’ll get caught before too long, so I don’t feel the need to avoid the app. (I won’t sign in to Google with it, though.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.