Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
Are there any e-ink eReaders that handle multiple formats and have a large screen (8" or more)?

MrDoug

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2011
Boise, Idaho..
I have iPad4/PaperWhite.. but use Nexus 7 for books, iPad4 for Newspapers and Magazines.. the screen resolution on the Nexus 7 for Books is awesome..
Doug

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Nook Simple Touch w/ Glowlight

I bought my daughter this as a gift for good grades, she's a heavy book reader. She likes my ipad for everything else but when it comes to clocking time reading off a device its the nook glowlight all day for her..

I could sure use one of those instead of my Nook e-ink reader that needs a clip-on light. I seem to have misplaced the light. :eek: Oh well, another item on the to-do list. Find the darn thing and then stitch a pocket for it onto the sleeve I had made for the reader!

AndersOlson

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
I use both my ipad mini and my kindle. The kindle is great for reading outside or in situations where it might get dirty while the ipad is a great bedside reader as I can check my email and twitter and whatnot while I'm reading. Both have their uses for different situations.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I use both my ipad mini and my kindle. The kindle is great for reading outside or in situations where it might get dirty while the ipad is a great bedside reader as I can check my email and twitter and whatnot while I'm reading. Both have their uses for different situations.

+1. The Kindle Paperwhite is awesome, and does two things. First, it lets me read everywhere, with a sharp screen and very light weight. Second, without the distractions of the iPad (Infinity Blade!) I can read more.

When I want to read a book, I reach for my Kindle. I love my iPad, but eReading is not its strongest suit.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The kindle touch was my tablet of choice, before that was the iPad 1 but now the iPad mini

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
My iPad 4 is my all time favorite device, but for reading I use my Kindle Paper white because it is easier on the eyes and light to hold. I also love my Fire HD for listening to audiobooks in the car, a feature the Kindle Paperwhite doesn't have.

marcfiszman

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2004
just finished reading a lovely suspense called The Clout of Gen on my new mini iPad and I loved the light weight of the mini and the lighting of the iPad.

I recommend the Mini iPad for reading ebooks, and yes I recommend The Clout of Gen by Ahmad Ardalan too.

Are you trying to promote this book? You enjoyed mentioning it over here as well.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Kindle Paperwhite by far.

That said, the Mini is better than I thought it'd be given the ppi. With the correct font text looks excellent in the Kindle app.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?&docId=1000863021

I was going to get an ipad mini for my 6yr old even though I don't personally like the screen. But thinking I'll cancel that as well. I had considered the Fire HD but decided against it but with the 2.99 a month unlimited kids' content, it seems like a nobrainer now.

Looks like I'll be getting her a Fire HD, and perhaps an ipad 4 for myself later but don't need as much storage since she'll have her own tablet.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?&docId=1000863021

I was going to get an ipad mini for my 6yr old even though I don't personally like the screen. But thinking I'll cancel that as well. I had considered the Fire HD but decided against it but with the 2.99 a month unlimited kids' content, it seems like a nobrainer now.

Looks like I'll be getting her a Fire HD, and perhaps an ipad 4 for myself later but don't need as much storage since she'll have her own tablet.

Here is a link to the content that is available for the Amazon program. Looks nice, but it is geared toward younger children. I don't think that my 12-year-old son would enjoy most of the stuff.

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
ive been using my mini just because its new and shiny but when that dust settles i'll move back to my kindle paperwhite

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
The other issue with Mini is that the text for webpages is too small.

I only find that problem with Safari. I use Mercury and adjust the text size and even Chrome, which doesn't have the option for text sizing, but has better text rendering than Safari. Not sure if it can fixed with an iOS update or not.

hel22

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2010
I just got my ipad 2 and I love iBooks and the kindle app. I used to read on my iphone but PDF's were impossible to read and now with the bigger screen, PDF reading is a bliss!!

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
For all around use I like my iPad 4.

For portability I like my iPad mini.

For the Android experience I like my Nexus 7.

For eBook reading I greatly prefer my Kindle Paperwhite.

I've become very fond of tablets in just a short time.

aluren

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
I find myself reading most on my iPhone 5 nowadays, since its easy for me to read a couple pages here and there throughout the day without having to carry a separate device. I have the Kindle 4 and iPad 3 as well, but always goes back to reading on my iPhone, and the 4" and verticle scrolling helps.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I only find that problem with Safari. I use Mercury and adjust the text size and even Chrome, which doesn't have the option for text sizing, but has better text rendering than Safari. Not sure if it can fixed with an iOS update or not.

Guess I'll try Chrome then. Mercury goes wacky on occasion with no keyboard available. I tried Perferct Browser but on some sites text runs into each other.

On my gf's mini I just use Safari in landscape for web browsing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.