Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carrera4s

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2012
Yes it will work on any World Wide GSM or the valid LTE bands listed for the A1429 Model. Only the CDMA portion is unsupported by most if not all carriers if you purchased the Verizon unit.

Dave

Are you sure it will work on LTE networks (yes, the ones on chennels 1,3,5)around the world?

Do you think there'd be any problems by buying an unactivated Verizon iphone from bestbuy and never activate it?

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Are you sure it will work on LTE networks (yes, the ones on chennels 1,3,5)around the world?

Do you think there'd be any problems by buying an unactivated Verizon iphone from bestbuy and never activate it?

The Verizon iPhone 5 is a model 1429 for the USA market that is configured to allow the use of any GSM Nano-SIM due to a FCC requirement with Verizon's purchase of a specific spectrum. This means that a Verizon model A1429 purchased from BestBuy will support LTE bands: 1, 3, 5, 13 and 25 in the USA or anywhere these 5 bands are supported. In other countries your model A1429 USA Verizon purchaed iPhone 5 will support LTE bands: 1, 3, 5. You will need to verify with the carrier any restrictions they may have on LTE support.

So in the USA, if you purchase a model 1429 iPhone 5 make sure that you understand how it was initially purchased! There is no magic hardware, the control of the Nano-SIM slot is controlled by how the device is registered at point of sale or device replacement in the Apple servers. If it is ever registered as a Sprint iPhone 5 then the Nano-SIM slot will be locked in the USA and no other GSM carrier or MVNO will work. Sprint will only unlock the Nano-SIM slot for International GSM carriers if you meet the Sprint usage requirements.

Currently in the USA, the new unlocked iPhone 5 that was just announced by Apple for sale in the USA is the model A1428 and not the model 1429! The model A1428 only supports the following LTE bands: 4 and 17. Note the FCC specs indicate that it also supports LTE bands: 2 and 5.

Note: The unlocked iPhone 5 in the USA is model A1428. For details on LTE support see http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE. If you want to use LTE bands in any country make sure that model you purchase supports the LTE bands available or planned to be available in the future.

The unlocked USA iPhone 5 model 1428 will not work with CDMA carriers such as Verizon Wireless or Sprint. Learn more about the unlocked iPhone 5 in the USA.

source: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...family/iphone5
Open the "Or get iPhone unlocked and contract-free" section.

Dave

carrera4s

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2012
The Verizon iPhone 5 is a model 1429 for the USA market that is configured to allow the use of any GSM Nano-SIM due to a FCC requirement with Verizon's purchase of a specific spectrum. This means that a Verizon model A1429 purchased from BestBuy will support LTE bands: 1, 3, 5, 13 and 25 in the USA or anywhere these 5 bands are supported. In other countries your model A1429 USA Verizon purchaed iPhone 5 will support LTE bands: 1, 3, 5. You will need to verify with the carrier any restrictions they may have on LTE support.

Last night I talked with a Verizon assitant on their site and he said that their phone is only going to work on their 4G network only. I don't know if he told me this because he "has to" or if it's the truth.

So in the USA, if you purchase a model 1429 iPhone 5 make sure that you understand how it was initially purchased! There is no magic hardware, the control of the Nano-SIM slot is controlled by how the device is registered at point of sale or device replacement in the Apple servers. If it is ever registered as a Sprint iPhone 5 then the Nano-SIM slot will be locked in the USA and no other GSM carrier or MVNO will work. Sprint will only unlock the Nano-SIM slot for International GSM carriers if you meet the Sprint usage requirements.

Currently in the USA, the new unlocked iPhone 5 that was just announced by Apple for sale in the USA is the model A1428 and not the model 1429! The model A1428 only supports the following LTE bands: 4 and 17. Note the FCC specs indicate that it also supports LTE bands: 2 and 5.

I didn't know this thing about the 1428 model, thanks for clearing this out. Band 5 should be 2100mhz, right? This one might be good for Europe LTE as well perhaps...

Note: The unlocked iPhone 5 in the USA is model A1428. For details on LTE support see http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE. If you want to use LTE bands in any country make sure that model you purchase supports the LTE bands available or planned to be available in the future.

The unlocked USA iPhone 5 model 1428 will not work with CDMA carriers such as Verizon Wireless or Sprint. Learn more about the unlocked iPhone 5 in the USA.

source: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...family/iphone5
Open the "Or get iPhone unlocked and contract-free" section.

Dave

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Last night I talked with a Verizon assitant on their site and he said that their phone is only going to work on their 4G network only. I don't know if he told me this because he "has to" or if it's the truth.

I didn't know this thing about the 1428 model, thanks for clearing this out. Band 5 should be 2100mhz, right? This one might be good for Europe LTE as well perhaps...

The Verizon rep can only tell you the official Verizon response or their own definition of 4G if they go off script. :eek: The Verizon model A1429 will work fine on the Verzion CDMA and LTE. It will also work just fine on AT&T or T-Mobile with a Nano-SIM. It will also work with MVNOs that ride on the Verizon network or AT&T's network.

On the model A1428, LTE band 5 would be (Cellular 850, 850MHz) and band 2 is (PCS, 1.9GHz). Think T-Mobile in 2013. At this point it appears that you might be better suited to go for the model A1429 for any possible LTE support in Europe.

Dave

carrera4s

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2012
Ok Dave. The thing is that I found an unactivated iphone5 at best buy and would like to buy it (as stated in another thread on this forum). I don't know if it will turn into an "ibrick" by having that unactivated phone in Europe or if it'll work normally. Anybody's got an idea?

qarews

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2012
i have read all the posts in this thread, but i am not sure yet

can you buy A1429 CDMA full price at Apple Store (649+tax) ?

and i mean WITHOUT any kind of contract, NO month-to-month, no Verizon papers no nothing
has anyone done this?

i see some of you bought it as "device only" but did you get it on verizon "monts-to-month" plan ?

thanx a lot

carrera4s

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2012
There's a guy on an italian forum that managed to get one in an Apple store in Philadelphia. A Verizon CDMA iphone 5 with no contract whatsoever, not even the month to month plan. He said that he had to sign a paper where you agree that Apple won't be responsible if your phone doesn't work properly on a different network.
The phone works flawlessly from what the user says.
Last thing, he said that it's better to call the stores to make sure they have it because availability of cdmas is low.

qarews

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2012
then i guess it all depends on how nice you ask them :) and their stocks

Last edited:

carrera4s

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2012
I think you're right, you just have to be lucky and polite. I know that they have plenty in stock now...

max5peru

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
Peru
I bought the AT&T VERSION device only at best buy. I also unlocked the phone on AT&T site thru their customer service, take the phone to Peru and it's working now!

Ok Dave. The thing is that I found an unactivated iphone5 at best buy and would like to buy it (as stated in another thread on this forum). I don't know if it will turn into an "ibrick" by having that unactivated phone in Europe or if it'll work normally. Anybody's got an idea?

carrera4s

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2012
Thanks for your experience max ;)
After some thought I might end up having a friend buy Verizon's iphone with no plan at an Apple Store if they have it available. Otherwise I'll get it at bb.

bync

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2012
Need help!

Hello! I'm from Russia. I just have one question - is there russian language in american iphone 5 or it must be special device made for Russia only?

mfilova

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2013
NY, USA
If I buy an Factory unlocked iPhone 5 from ebay -- can I use the device on networks that don't have mini sim cards ?

muon25

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2010
My sister who stays is US purchased a Verizon iPhone 5 (Model-A1429 CDMA) off contract(by paying the full price). So will it work on gsm lte bands (1,3,5) or I can say outside US. More specifically I want to say that all the countries which are shown in A1429 gsm unlocked one(Countries from Asia,Europe).

Did she buy it in an Apple store?

Peter78

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2013
My friend bring me one unlocked iP5 from Apple Store in USA. Works fine with local GSM operator.

carrera4s

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2012
Just a little update: I finally got my iPhone 5 and simply love it!
A friend of mine went to a Best Buy in Boston to get a Verizon unlocked one but they wouldn't sell it without a contract. He ended up buying the unlocked version at the Apple Store. I'll do without LTE connections, no big deal since that we're so far back in europe for coverage of this new type of networks.
Anyway, it works like a charm, wouldn't change for any other phone.
Thanks to everybody that helped me with the purchase on this forum. ;)

Hen9ng

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2013
Norway
I pick this thread in front again. I have short question, I am wondering if it's possible to buy a contract free and unlocked Verizon iPhone in the Apple store or a Best Buy store right now? It is just to ask for a device only?

Hope for an answer :)
Hen9ng

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.