Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Simminie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Hello everybody,

I'm a long term mac convert and only wonder how simple the iphones are to use by those who are a not very tech savy; are they basically the same interface as a ipod touch? I have an android, that I hate and will be trading in for an iphone 5 or 4s, so if it's the same as an itouch then I know it shouldn't be hard for my mom to run one.

My mom is 65 and really not big on technology, but is getting there. She knows how to use the horrible pc system at her job, and I'm getting her a ipad mini for xmas hoping that she can use it for practice and we'll see about getting her that 4s in the new year.

Also which is better iphone 5 or 4s? I'll be using my for a lot of scheduling/texting/facebooking stuff (basically the general stuff 22 year old grils do) and my mom would use it for simple applications like a learning facebook, phoning people, and learning to text me and my sister (with humorous results).

Last edited:

braydenf

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2012
my grammy is 67 and has a 4s! she loves it. she is on FB allll the time and is taking so many pictures.

I say go for it!

It will take her a few weeks to get used to it. but shouldnt be a problem. They are fairly simple devices to operate

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Does she really need a smartphone? My parents are near 65 and both have iPhones. My aunt is over 70 and has more than one smartphone. (she'd fit in around here, actually) I don't think the age matters, just the usage.

yyr

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2010
go for it

my husband is in his sixties and struggles to write or send an email. he picked up my iphone 3g a couple of years back and used it right off without any help from me. He now carries his own everywhere and loves it. I say go for it.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
It depends on the person.
Some 65 year olds will have no idea how to even turn it on or make calls and others more tech savy will have no prob using it and even use other features like facebook:D
You have to ask yourself if she will be ok with it or if it will cause more headaches and aggrevation to her.
Some folks just want a regural cell with big buttons and very few features.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Depends on if she is "old-fashioned". If she doesn't use things like e-mail or texting then don't waste your time. However if she is willing to "get modern" then I say go for it. My grandma has an android smartphone.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
Hello everybody,

I'm a long term mac convert and only wonder how simple the iphones are to use by those who are a not very tech savy; are they basically the same interface as a ipod touch? I have an android, that I hate and will be trading in for an iphone 5 or 4s, so if it's the same as an itouch then I know it shouldn't be hard for my mom to run one.

My mom is 65 and really not big on technology, but is getting there. She knows how to use the horrible pc system at her job, and I'm getting her a ipad mini for xmas hoping that she can use it for practice and we'll see about getting her that 4s in the new year.

Also which is better iphone 5 or 4s? I'll be using my for a lot of scheduling/texting/facebooking stuff (basically the general stuff 22 year old grils do) and my mom would use it for simple applications like a learning facebook, phoning people, and learning to text me and my sister (with humorous results).

I got my 72yo grandmother a 4 when I got my 5. If I would have known she would have loved it so much I would have got her the 5 instead.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
both of my parents now have iPhones and both are in there 60's. My father who is not very tech savvy(email, web browsing, solitaire, word, and his client software) he picked up the iPhone very quickly without much help and absolutely loves the iPad we got him last year. My mother is better with technology but only because she has spent lots of time learning and she was able to pickup her iPhone and figure it out pretty quickly.

bmt134

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
Considering that the iPhone is designed for 5 and 65 year olds, then yes the iPhone 5 is a good choice.

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
My Mom loves her iphone and she is 67. My dad is 69 and he now has his first iphone 4s. He had flip phones and this to him is easier to use. Bigger numbers to call too. My Dad however only uses it for a phone mostly. My mom uses it with a few apps, texting, phone calls.

Hello everybody,

scorpio1973

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2009
My 77 year old mom is really enjoying her 4S! She recently got an iPad mini as well. I think it's a good choice.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
iPhone is for anyone

My mum (British) is 65 and has had a 3, 4 and iPhone 5, iPad, MacBook Air, kindle and now a kindle fire hd.

Gadgets can be loved and useful to any age.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Anybody who uses a PC should be able to tackle anything.

Age is relative.

fenskezen

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2011
Wirelessly posted

My parents are in their 70's and have an iPod touch and an iPad 2. They love them both although the iPad is easier on the eyes, they still use the iPod, too. An iphone is next when their contract comes up. They hang out with the seniors at McDonald's and most of them have istuff.

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC
are they basically the same interface as a ipod touch?

Lot's of helpful replies, but no one answered these questions.
1. It's exactly the same interface as an iPod touch (except that it has the Phone app added)
2. For what you've mentioned, either the 5 or the 4S would work fine. If you can afford it, though, I recommend the 5 very highly, it is so much better in nearly every respect than the 4S. The best is probably the bigger screen. It's very useful for web browsing, facebook, etc.

fultoejame

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2012
It will take her a few weeks to get used to it.
66.gif

smallnshort247

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2010
Depends on how she likes the touch screen. She may want a stylus if typing is hard. Apple Stores offer free workshops on how to use iPhones so I'd recommend you taking her to one of those classes too!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.