Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrelwood

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
Not really. You still need to pay for the service if you don't have a contract. And in the US, no carriers (besides T-mobile apparently) give you a lower monthly rate if your subsidy is paid off. So you end up spending more money if you bring your own device, assuming you keep your service.

And that is the point. That's why T-mobile's new plan does make sense. If they do bring the cost down accordingly, ofcourse.

How much does a person pay for 2 years of iPhone and usage in the US? I pay $1211.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
They should give customers options.

Subsidized phones, but pay higher monthly rates.

Unsubsidized phones, and pay lower monthly rates.

Didn't they do this once before? I seem to remember them trying something along those lines.

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Possibly, but I don't think so cos like you said, the math is very easy. If anything, most people don't have the extra $500 up front and/or it's easier to budget the subsidized way... People generally don't have the discipline to sock away an extra $20 a year for their future phone purchase so by having a carrier bill them the extra $20 per month, it becomes built into their monthly budget.

with tmobile's plan, the customer won't need $500 upfront. It will be a small amount upfront, and they spread out the remaining balance over 20 months or so. the plus side is that after 20 months, the monthly rate goes down since the phone payment is done. right now, the carriers continue to charge the same rate even after the contract has expired (when the phone is supposedly paid already).

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
The problem with the $50 plan is *First 100MB at up to 4G speeds. I'm not sure what speeds are given beyond 100MB

Tmobile is the best deal if you dont need many minutes. $45 Straight talk still beats Tmobiles current offerings if you need more than 100 minutes.
You get throttled down to 2G speeds after the first 100MB.
$60 per month gets you 2GB of 4G, and $70 gets you 5GB.

So it's just like the grandfathered AT&T unlimited plans, you get "unlimited data", just at reduced speeds once you hit a certain amount.

cutienoua

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2012
I have an unlocked iPhone 4S on T-Mobile, which cost me $300 on Craigslist. If I were on a single line plan with unlimited everything, I'd pay about $60 I believe.

T-Mobile: $60X24= 1,440 + 300 (cost of iPhone)= 1740

AT&T: $90 (and this is for 450min + 3GB web + unlimited text) X24= 2,160 + 100 (cost of iPhone 4S)= 2260

A T-Mobile plan comparable to the AT&T one with 500 min cost $50 a month.

With straight talk you pay even less than tmobile and have better internet
Been with tmobile for 10 years now I know better

tagy

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2003
UK
Seems like a move in the right direction. Here in the UK I have not had a contract for a few years, I bought the iPhone 4S when it was released for around $800, and I pay $18/month for unlimited data and 250 mins.

Works out better for me, and can change network or change phone at anytime.

tdtran1025

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2011
Tmobile has many loyal customers from the old days of just dumb phones. The company only has itself to blame with series of miscalculation in adoption of bandwidth and frequencies, which i won't go there. What's the point of this offering where the problem of LTE is dedicated channels that 98% of consumers are not aware of. One might be much better off buying a unlocked iphone, one that is hardware compatible with 7 LTE bands, then choose which carrier to go. Buying a TMobile stamped iphone limits usage to only LTE channels that TMobile uses. So beware!

TOYSTER17

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2010
Seems like a move in the right direction. Here in the UK I have not had a contract for a few years, I bought the iPhone 4S when it was released for around $800, and I pay $18/month for unlimited data and 250 mins.

Whhhaaaaatttt, that is cheap! Man, we get ripped off here in the States.

Tmobile has many loyal customers from the old days of just dumb phones. The company only has itself to blame with series of miscalculation in adoption of bandwidth and frequencies, which i won't go there. What's the point of this offering where the problem of LTE is dedicated channels that 98% of consumers are not aware of. One might be much better off buying a unlocked iphone, one that is hardware compatible with 7 LTE bands, then choose which carrier to go. Buying a TMobile stamped iphone limits usage to only LTE channels that TMobile uses. So beware!

The current AT&T iPhone 5 would work on T-Mobile's planned LTE.

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
The problem with the $50 plan is *First 100MB at up to 4G speeds. I'm not sure what speeds are given beyond 100MB

Tmobile is the best deal if you dont need many minutes. $45 Straight talk beats Tmobiles current offerings if you need more than 100 minutes and can deal with ~2gb /mo.

Individual plans here, I haven't done family plan research.

It's so complicated, it's almost worth $500 every two years not to have to think about it.

jf4

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2012
Yeah, it does sound good compared with the offerings by the other big companies, e.g., at&t and verizon, but the network currently sucks, even in major cities in the bay area. While it's doubtless getting better, the coverage is sorely lacking.

More focused on this topic concerning the pay it upfront instead of relying on the subsidized prices model of the major carriers, this could be beneficial and maybe even attract some frugal-minded people willing and able to pay the upfront cost for the phone instead of being spanked by the "hidden" costs of the phone companies (even/especially after) your two-year contract is up. It could work.

But I'm dubious whether this model will actually take hold for a couple of reasons. The key one is that most people just don't do the math regarding these things, or, if they do, they just don't have the available cash to afford to pay the upfront costs to even consider participating in such a potentially over the long run cash-saving investment instead of the costly alternative, which is unfortunate. Most people aren't informed of the fact that with subsidization there are sometimes very steep costs (sometimes intractable ones since you're usually stuck in a minimum two-year contract, which pretty much, if you cancel early, costs you ~200 to get out of it. Most of the time, the two-year contract penalty for early termination seems obviously just a cheap psychological ploy to get people to stick with them while, in the meantime, the customer just hemorrhages money. The upfront cost is steep enough to convince most people to just grin and bear it until some future time when their particular contract expires.).

What should be done away with is the two-year contract and cancellation fee. Maybe this will happen as a result of t-mobile's shift--might be too early to tell. Also, and this may already exist, individualized plans should exist by now. Why don't cellphone carries let you know when the plan your paying for just doesn't fit you right, that is, if you're not using that much data, why pay for it? If you fall below a certain amount of data in a given month but pay for a higher amount of data typically, why don't you get money back or a decreased bill at the end of the month? It doesn't make sense to me. It's in the cell phone company's best interest not to let you know these things, and, if you're like me, it's a burden to check and most times you get lazy and just forget to--certainly people are often sloppy when it comes to these matters and people who aren't well-versed in these topics often get taken advantage of. Anyway, point is: I'm sort of surprised that consumer advocacy groups haven't been more vocal in cell phone company issues like these, which are tailored chiefly to suck money from people and prey on those who can't afford to opt out of their policies.

So yeah, dubious if this works. I think it'll work for a very small percentage of people. I think that the percentage of people who can afford to pay upfront just won't want to because they just won't want to switch from at&t or verizon or sprint. I think it's more likely that the other big three will just adopt some form of this service or add it as an option eventually and t-mobile, at least from my naive perspective, would again be a fourth place phone company in the U.S. relative to the other three.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
That will never work on an iPhone any model

Imagine all you can eat data voice and text for $50 per month, there is no way they can survive that hit to their network

Do we know how much data the *average* person uses?

There are always a few people on these tech forums who use 10GB a month... but what about moms and dads and other non-techie people?

Even if there is a 2GB cap... only a tiny percentage of people come close to using the full 2GB.

If every customer used the full 2GB... I bet the network would collapse.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
A $50 a month plan and buying your own phone does not sound like an incentive at all to switch. Unlimited LTE data/voice and text for $40 a month would be more likely to succeed. Let's face it, voice and text cost virtually nothing, probably no more that $5 a month total, so $35 a month for unlimited data would be more than fair. Even better if they just sell a $35 a month data plan only, and allow me to use SKYPE, or whatever for voice and texts.

hudson1

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012

How much are your text messages?

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
You guys asking why your price/mo doesn't go down on AT&T or Verizon after 24 months...it's because they obviously want you to get a new phone which locks you up for another 24 months. Yes, they "lose" the $20/mo or whatever that you'd be overpaying for months 25 and beyond. However, the security of having you locked up is most likely preferable to them as it gives higher visibility and predictability into future revenues.

schaibaa

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2012
The advantage to T-Mobile under this new scheme is they don't need the cash to pay Apple up front... the customer does. You run a business on cash and I think most feel T-Mobile doesn't have a lot of it. My hunch is this is the real reason T-Mobile is moving to this model.

Did you see any of the details of the failed AT&T takeover? T-Mobile is pretty flush with cash.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
Soooo they're going with the model the REST of the world uses, but will probably be the most expensive place to actually buy devices... Interesting.

Canada would need to adopt this model for your statement to be true. Telecommunications companys in Canada are even worse than in USA.

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
Depending on how much the monthly plans are, this might a good way to attract customers. Your monthly plans SHOULD be lower if you use an unsubsidized phone. Isn't the point of a contract is that you pay for the phone over the 2-year contract? And when the phone is paid off, your monthly should go down.

Not at AT&T or Verizon.

We already made the switch to a value plan, it worked out at about half the price of our old plan, including the cost of the devices. Once the devices are paid for, our bill will drop a lot.

We have 5 lines and it works out to about $34 per line, including the equipment purchase. We have two lines with unlimited talk, text & web and the rest all have 500 anytime minutes, unlimited mobile to mobile, unlimited texting and two of the other lines have unlimited data. So, all in all, it works out pretty cheap. Not as low as I think they could make it and be profitable, but still pretty good.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Did you see any of the details of the failed AT&T takeover? T-Mobile is pretty flush with cash.

Didn't most of that money go back to Deutsche Telekom?

Deutsche Telekom was ready to sell T-Mobile USA... do you really think they're now pumping all that money into it?

Battlefield Fan

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2008
just back from making a great salami sandwich and i read this! im already on tmobile w. my unlocked iphone 4s in nyc. this is awesome for people who want to save money. its my birthday today so I feel like its a coincidence

Happy Birthday!!!

tenton

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2004
Didn't most of that money go back to Deutsche Telekom?

Deutsche Telekom was ready to sell T-Mobile USA... do you really think they're now pumping all that money into it?

No, it didn't go back to Deutsche Telekom. They've put the money into rolling out their LTE network and buying MetroPCS to help with that process. The money plus sharing agreements for the deal not going through has allowed them to try to get with the times (T-Mobile's LTE rollout is supposed to be end of 2013; late to the party, but not too late, since they have pretty good fake 4G speeds in a lot of areas now)

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
I'm not really sure how this changes anything, instead of paying $80/month you pay $60/month for your service + $20/month for the device!?!?!

The big change.....no need to sign a two year - or any contract. You may come and go as you please. No penalties for leaving early.

I would hope this would create an atmosphere for the carriers to focus on quality of service and customer service to keep your business since they won't have you locked in for two years.

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
Sounds good to me. Basically you're paying for your phone over a time period and then you have a reasonable voice/data plan. They're almost acting like a prepaid carrier. I'm guessing if you pay for it all up front you get the lower plan price day 1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.