Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
That awkward moment when autocorrect changes my common typo of "thatits (that it's)" to "that tits."

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Not going to be home so I logged onto Dish app to record. According to guide details, the Apple CEO is Jim Cook. Stupid Dish or NBC (not sure which one) Haha

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah
Its all about learning to trust auto-correct. It fixes things most of the time. Just have to keep typing and let it do it's thing. It's MUCH slower to go back and correct your mistakes. Even if it doesn't correct them, it's still quicker to tap the word when you're done and choose the correct spelling than going back and fixing it at the time. People are always amazed when I bang out +70 words a minute on my iPhone or iPad. Once you get use to it, it's just as fast as on a physical keyboard.

But when auto correct goes wrong it's really annoying and sometimes hard to locate and fix. When I make a mistake it's an obvious type, I don't replace one word with something completely random like autocorrect does. I'm all for physical keyboards...they'll have a place in business. Text to speech may take some keyboard market share in homes (can't have everyone at work talking at same time to computers) but hard to play games with text to speech so we may get something that hasn't been thought of yet to replace keyboards.

BeyondTheKM

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
Dropped they keyboard?

What the hell? I guess that's why he never responds to the e-mails I send. :mad:

Twitter @ApertureWeb

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I think people are not using autocorrect correctly. It makes typing so easy.

I try my best to TRUST autocorrect and I can type like a BEAST on my iPhone and iPad. :)

I tryst autocorrect too but it dies t necessarily mean that it does a good job !

CReimer

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2006
Silicon Valley
Wow a 500 word essay? Is that the demands of the US education system today :eek:

I know too many college graduates who can't write a halfway decent three-sentence email with a beginning, middle and ending that gets a single point across. Worst, they seem to work in the I.T. department. :eek:

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I agree with using mobile devices, tablets and phones to do many of the tasks we do day to day, but there's no way I am going to trust autocorrect on any iOS device.

I use my iPad for everything outside of the content creation (video/web/mobile apps/etc.) and now my GNoteII is doing 80% of what my iPad does and it just does it a little better.

SO . . . . I hope Apple either makes autocorrect better, make the speech to text as good or better than what I get on a Samsung phone, or make the iPhone Pro with 5.5" screen that I've been waiting for that has both of those.

As a matter of fact, all three would be nice.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Sorry Tim but as much as I like tablets and smartphones, if your doing all your work on an ipad than your probably not doing much work at all. There is still no substitute for a proper laptop or desktop.

DrumApple

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
Yeah well when all you have to do is reply to people "yes" or "no", sure I'd be able to use an iPad 80% of the time too.

Tell the people who have to type out lengthy documents and emails like 98% of the rest of us who aren't CEO's of Fortune 500 companies.

CShort

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
CEooooo's

Typical CEO. He should talk to his IT department about ditching keyboards and see what they think.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
I guess ur not doing any production work then or work work for that matter.

would explain explain the subpar stuff coming out of apple lately. I can't stand tim cook. And hes a terrible keynote speaker. Holy crap I wanna punch him with his sappy speeches he always makes.

CShort

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
Autocorrect

Autocorrect can have it's upside. My wife was emailing me about Bimbo's the other day

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Trust Auto-Correct??? If Tim Cook ever leaves Apple, he has a promising career in comedy.

You do realize that:
  1. the autocorrect learns as you use it
  2. you can change or disable some of the built-in autocompletions

If you're struggling with autocorrect, you haven't taken the time to learn to use it properly. Period.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
I type very fast on a physical keyboard, no chance I can beat it on a virtual keyboard where I can only use two fingers.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I tryst autocorrect too but it dies t necessarily mean that it does a good job !

About the "t" in your sentence, that's not caused by autocorrect, but seems to be a non-responsiveness with the keyboard. I get that all the time where I find that certain key presses just haven't registered when I expected them to. I have to go back and type more slowly. The autocorrection doesn't bother nearly as much as that does.

Renzatic

Suspended
I type very fast on a physical keyboard, no chance I can beat it on a virtual keyboard where I can only use two fingers.

I touch type when I've got my iPad set in landscape orientation, and have actually gotten decently fast with it. Not keyboard fast, but fast enough to use in a pinch.

Problem is, even after using it for 6 months, I still make a damn crapton of mistakes on the thing.

KanosWRX

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
LOL, he is a CEO, he spends most of his time out of the office anyways probably. Has at least one secretary to type for him. Doesn't use any user interface intensive applications like excel or word probably. Probably just reads e-mails and answers phone calls most of the time. So of course he doesn't need a physical keyboard. Neither does a UPS delivery man. Doesn't mean most of the rest of us who create and manage all of your data and system don't!

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Autocorrect sometimes acts deranged. More than once I've completely typed out a word but accidentally tacked an extra letter on the end, and rather than correct it to that word when I hit space, *BAMF* an entirely different word appears there.

Or I get one letter wrong and again, *KAZAM!* a whole different word, like dark magic.

It's not really all that common, and sometimes autocorrect works really well, correcting gibberish (misaligned typing) into the word I wanted, but.. often I feel like Discord himself has invaded my phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.