Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AirThis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
It's a long way to the first race in 2013. Now that flag-gate is over, I guess we'll have to find something else to ride out the winter. :D

Buy HRT? Sorry for being so cheap, but I think I'll donate a buck to Kamui instead. :)

bjm2660

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Virginia
Apart from the entry what would you be buying? A no hope car with no development and no start made on a 2013 car. Probably easier and cheaper to prove you have the money and talent to Bernie and just buy the entry.

Agreed. I'd like to see an American owned team (operate in Britain), but this is the wrong opportunity to jump in.

Who wants that legacy?

It's a shame the track will be a little less densely populated. Then again, HRT was more a spectator than participant to racing action.

----------

MacRumors has over 500,000 members. I'm pretty sure we can work this out :D

Ha! What a great idea.

More seriously, might Apple ever be interested in sponsoring a team? An all-white car with a black apple logo and an all-black car with a white apple logo.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 29, 2007

More seriously, might Apple ever be interested in sponsoring a team? An all-white car with a black apple logo and an all-black car with a white apple logo.

Revival_Deutsche_Rennsportmeisterschaft_72_81_OGP_2010_600-73.jpg

bjm2660

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Virginia

yes!

----------

I want to see a surprise entry from Porsche. The head of Audi motorsport has said that F1 and Audio don't mix. That leaves Porsche and VW. I'd like to see the high end marquees in F1. Besides, Porsche as a history of involvement.

I'd also like to see Honda return as at least an engine manufacturer.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 29, 2007
love to see Peugeot back in F1...
Given that Peugeot's motorsports activity in early 2012 was to abandon their entire racing program, including the Le Mans one where they were kicking everyone's ass, including Audi, that is very highly unlikely.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Given that Peugeot's motorsports activity in early 2012 was to abandon their entire racing program, including the Le Mans one where they were kicking everyone's ass, including Audi, that is very highly unlikely.

yeah. didn't say it was likely to happen. said i'd like to see it happen...

;)

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Besides, Porsche as a history of involvement.

Not a great one as a team.

Porsche are historically more associated with Sportscar racing. Their involvement as a constructor in F1 wasn't particular brilliant (what was it, 1 win in the Championship & 2 in total?).

What would make even more sense is a VW Group entry under the Auto Union name. I still can't believe that VW hasn't resurrected it, and updated it to reflect their current stable of brands, and then simply emphasise wherever possible a specific brand, at a specific race in a specific country. Marketing gold mine.

bjm2660

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Virginia
Not a great one as a team.

Porsche are historically more associated with Sportscar racing. Their involvement as a constructor in F1 wasn't particular brilliant (what was it, 1 win in the Championship & 2 in total?).

What would make even more sense is a VW Group entry under the Auto Union name. I still can't believe that VW hasn't resurrected it, and updated it to reflect their current stable of brands, and then simply emphasise wherever possible a specific brand, at a specific race in a specific country. Marketing gold mine.

I would accept that--a refreshing and powerful brand entry.

My ideas are springing from a frustration with the slow, under-funded teams. I think the best way forward is to have the big boys return (Honda, Toyota, BMW, VW, maybe Ford).

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA

As a Constructor, Porsche was 3rd (1961) and 5th (1962).

They did win the WC powering McLaren F1 cars in 1984 and 1985 and finished 2nd in 1986 and 1987.

My ideas are springing from a frustration with the slow, under-funded teams. I think the best way forward is to have the big boys return (Honda, Toyota, BMW, VW, maybe Ford).

The problem with that is the "factory teams" enter only to win for PR purposes so they spend an absolute mint. And because of that spend, they either quit as soon as they win ("Mission Accomplished") or after a few years of not-winning they then pull the plug (Honda, Toyota, BMW).

This is what killed FIA Group C Sports Cars - they tweaked the formula to favor the factories, which made it difficult for the privateers to compete. So once the factory teams left, there were no cars and the series folded.

Strong privateer teams like Williams and McLaren were the real foundation of F1 for the 1980s and 1990s along with "factory privateer" teams like Ferrari and Lotus (I'd consider the current McLaren to be a "factory privateer"). They're successful and large enough to survive the manufacturers coming to play so when those manufacturers leave, there is still a solid core of teams left to keep it going.

bjm2660

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Virginia
The problem with that is the "factory teams" enter only to win for PR purposes so they spend an absolute mint. And because of that spend, they either quit as soon as they win ("Mission Accomplished") or after a few years of not-winning they then pull the plug (Honda, Toyota, BMW).

This is what killed FIA Group C Sports Cars - they tweaked the formula to favor the factories, which made it difficult for the privateers to compete. So once the factory teams left, there were no cars and the series folded.

Strong privateer teams like Williams and McLaren were the real foundation of F1 for the 1980s and 1990s along with "factory privateer" teams like Ferrari and Lotus (I'd consider the current McLaren to be a "factory privateer"). They're successful and large enough to survive the manufacturers coming to play so when those manufacturers leave, there is still a solid core of teams left to keep it going.

Insightful perspective. I guess I hadn't really thought that much about it. It sounds like F1 needs teams with a passion for racing and financial stability. They could be privateers, factory privateers, or works teams. However, with the exception of Ferrari, who are nearly synonymous with the sport, works teams tend to get fickle and leave. Prior to Hamilton's singing, Mercedes was not necessarily a given for next year.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
As a Constructor, Porsche was 3rd (1961) and 5th (1962).

Exactly. Not brilliant as a constructor. And therefore of questionable suitability as a brand for the VW Group to enter F1 under really.

A stronger argument could be made for the suitability of Audi, because of their historic ties with Grand Prix racing under the Auto Union brand. But even then, Audi, much like Porsche are more associated with Sportscar racing now.

But still… an entry under the Audi brand would pale in comparison to the marketing opportunities of a true, contemporary Auto Union brand (Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, SEAT, Skoda, Suzuki, Volkswagen)… marketing gold mine right there, tailored for each race, tailored for each country.

They did win the WC powering McLaren F1 cars in 1984 and 1985 and finished 2nd in 1986 and 1987.

True, but I don't think they'd be much mileage for a VW brand entry purely as an engine supplier nowadays.

Technically Lotus wasn't a factory team, it was a separate entity independent of the road car company. McLaren has certainly become one. They're thriving. It's sad to see what Williams has become though. I'd like to see a competitive Williams team again.

But I agree completely with what you're saying regarding factory and privateer teams though.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Lotus E13:
xlarge.jpg

xlarge.jpg

xlarge.jpg

----------

McLaren MP4-28
46731_10151304355123759_314202950_n.jpg

1359631024.jpg

wpid-20130131_1123570.jpg

----------

Force India VMJ06:
215881.jpg

215879.jpg

215878.jpg

----------

Ferrari F138
215866.jpg

215867.jpg

215861.jpg

549797_10151313073573759_552528293_n.jpg

----------

Sauber C32
734364_427102497367556_1098130720_n.jpg

398136_10151315001483759_523116547_n.jpg

----------

Red Bull
555300_10151316825193759_1936504076_n.jpg

----------

Marussia MRO2
maru-mr02-2013-1-886x590.jpg

----------

Caterham CT03
1360049718.jpg

cate-gard-2013-2-886x498.jpg

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Slightly off topic, the company I work for sells stuff online and yesterday we received an order from a Nico Rosberg in Monaco. We all got pretty excited (well those of us in the office who follow Formula One). So now I have his address I think I'll write to him and see if he has any spare tickets for the Monaco GP!

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
Hamilton was on Top Gear UK this past Sunday.

Set a new fastest lap on the old RPC. :D

He said that MS was the only driver so far to bring a team (back) to prominence (Ferrari) and he would like to be that type of driver with Merc.

.......... An all-white car with a black apple logo and an all-black car with a white apple logo.
that is a great idea

bjm2660

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Virginia
it and ferrari are my two faves...

I'm inclined to agree with you. The Williams and Ferrari have similar nose cone shapes--very aesthetically pleasing to my eye. I especially like how the front wing joins the Williams. It's just beautiful.

I didn't have much love for the team previously. Maldonado can be a bit of a thug. As a McLaren fan, I got tired of him and Hamilton "finding" each other on track. Is it petty to root for Williams among the mid-field simply because of their gorgeous car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.