Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Sorry Tim but as much as I like tablets and smartphones, if your doing all your work on an ipad than your probably not doing much work at all. There is still no substitute for a proper laptop or desktop.

Just because you either refuse to learn how to do work on an iPad, refuse to believe that you can do work on an iPad or simply do different kinds of work than people who do use them productively doesn't mean they can't be used for work.

For Cook, his job will consist of oversight. He'll review documents, analyze charts and spreadsheets and communicate with staff. The documents he'll be using on a daily basis would previously have been viewed on paper, in a room with other people--not on a desktop computer.

The iPad is the perfect evolution for that workflow. On what planet is it more productive for anyone to carry around notebooks and binders full of papers than it would be to have constant access to all of them on a tablet?

Some people have to create long documents and detailed charts and spreadsheets for their work. Those people would likely not find an iPad as useful as others.

Everyone's needs are different, as are their preferences. Just because you've decided that a certain product doesn't fit into your life or work doesn't mean that it isn't perfectly effective for someone else.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
I don't know how he does it, I don't know how long I would use a virtual keyboard before getting completely angry and frustrated..

Maybe I didn't use the iPad enough? But I'm the opposite, when I had an iPad or an iPod Touch I hardly used them, only when I'm going out or when I'm in bed.. Otherwise I'd say 90% I'm on my Mac..

I think it depends on usage scenario, but because I'm a Web Designer, I don't see myself ever using a Tablet for work. I think the general user who does very basic tasks would love an iPad over anything else..

monkor

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
This thread is a perfect example of how far virtual keyboards need to go in order to actually supplant a physical keyboard. If a competent QWERTY smartphone cane along I'd hop right on it. For a sports journalist it's an absolute necessity. My phone is great for twitter, but no serious work.

iPad2lover

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2011
The virtual keyboard on the iPad is decent, but I feel a lot more productive when working on a physical keyboard. There is no way I can type an 500 word essay on an iPad :D
By the way, I hated the auto-correcting feature on my iPhone and iPad.

Autocorrect is the devil lol.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
They already did. It's called the virtual keyboard, and it's on the iPad, and it's way more convenient than that useless monstrosity you pasted.

Somebody sounds bitter...:rolleyes:

Besides the keyboards on tablets are nowhere near full size. Unless you have small hands you're tying with your thumbs. Doable, I do it, but nowhere near the fluidness of a full size keyboard or real keyboard for that matter.

But anything like that would require Apple to actually innovate and let's face it, that's something they've stopped doing a while ago. Hope that changes with Johny Ive.

iPad2lover

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2011
Let the paranoid rumors based on misinterpretation begin. I'll start:

WTF? Tim is saying that the iPad and iPhone are fine for 80% of what users need to do? This is a sure sign that Apple plans to discontinue its Mac line, except for maybe one model, which no doubt will start at $3,000. Greedy bas***ds! Apple is doomed. I'm switching back to Windows PCs before it's too late!

[Obligatory ;) emoticon for people who don't read my opening line and think I'm serious]

I was getting ready to say... Lol.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Typical CEO. He should talk to his IT department about ditching keyboards and see what they think.

He said HE uses his iPad for 80% of the things he does. Which is probably realistic.

replying to emails with

"Yes"
"no"
"See me"
"Set up a meeting"
"You're fired!"

Is simple with a touch screen keyboard.

He didn't say "keyboards are obsolete! no one needs them!". By his own statements, he uses a mac 20% of the time - likely for stuff the iPad sucks at.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Just because you either refuse to learn how to do work on an iPad, refuse to believe that you can do work on an iPad or simply do different kinds of work than people who do use them productively doesn't mean they can't be used for work.

For Cook, his job will consist of oversight. He'll review documents, analyze charts and spreadsheets and communicate with staff. The documents he'll be using on a daily basis would previously have been viewed on paper, in a room with other people--not on a desktop computer.

The iPad is the perfect evolution for that workflow. On what planet is it more productive for anyone to carry around notebooks and binders full of papers than it would be to have constant access to all of them on a tablet?

Some people have to create long documents and detailed charts and spreadsheets for their work. Those people would likely not find an iPad as useful as others.

Everyone's needs are different, as are their preferences. Just because you've decided that a certain product doesn't fit into your life or work doesn't mean that it isn't perfectly effective for someone else.

Except for the lack of a file system, the ability to use those same documents throughout several apps and to have a folder structure and organization. Android tablets address this shortcoming quite well but iOS does not.

wschutz

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
That's a lie.

I would love to see Tim Cook typing a 14 pages paper with the iPad, and at the end if he is still smiling, maybe I will believe it.

iPad cannot simulate the responsiveness that a physical keyboard provides with. In particular the keys of a keyboard are not only aimed at augmenting the response when typing but also slow down the action of pressing something by absorbing the impact; something that an iPad screen cannot do since the screen is rigid.
So no... I don't believe that crap (unless he doesn't type and then only dictates) because after a few minutes using a touch screen you get very tired...

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Except for the lack of a file system, the ability to use those same documents throughout several apps and to have a folder structure and organization. Android tablets address this shortcoming quite well but iOS does not.

Needing to open the same document in multiple different apps to get things done is a symptom that your Apps suck and need to be fixed.

That's the reason you're using multiple apps to work on the same data. For most people, it isn't because they have some irrational desire to do file management. The file management is a means to an end, to work around apps that don't do what they want them to do.

Fix that problem, get the side-effect of better applications, and your filesystem problem goes away.

I don't want 15 different apps that handle the same data files in varying sub-optimal ways. I'd rather have one app for the job that works and does what I want (for a tablet at least, more complex work will require a proper computer).

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
But when auto correct goes wrong it's really annoying and sometimes hard to locate and fix. When I make a mistake it's an obvious type, I don't replace one word with something completely random like autocorrect does. I'm all for physical keyboards...they'll have a place in business. Text to speech may take some keyboard market share in homes (can't have everyone at work talking at same time to computers) but hard to play games with text to speech so we may get something that hasn't been thought of yet to replace keyboards.

I guess it's something that some have more problems than others. I rarely ever have autocorrect change words to the wrong thing. I'm also able to correct those problems quickly. For me, the touchscreen keyboard isn't an issue and slows my typing very little from that of a physical keyboard. For some, they just can't seem to figure it out.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
That's a lie.

I would love to see Tim Cook typing a 14 pages paper with the iPad, and at the end if he is still smiling, maybe I will believe it...

See my comment above regarding his lilely use of the tablet for typing.

That isn't what the device is really for. More likely, he'd use it to read through a proposal from someone else, maybe highlight a couple of bits and leave some brief comments and send it back.

Just like you wouldn't use a scooter to move house with, you don't use a virtual keyboard for writing war and peace.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Huh! 99% of what I write is done on-screen via ipad as well. Going back to two hands on a physical keyboard feels really clunky, crude, and slow.

Having spent a year standing in the back of a truck looking up at the sky, holding a big full-size keyboard in one hand, and typing on it with the other, I'm freakishly faster typing on the ipads tight little landscape keyboard with five fingers than most people are on a normal keyboard with ten. You just have to spend time practicing that way for it to feel natural.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels

I can drive a nail into a board by smacking it with a shoe

That doesn't make the shoe a hammer

Yeah you can use it for work. Unless that work is surfing the net, fingerpainting or watching movies, it's also a pain in the ass so why bother

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Yeah iPad no good for video editing. I use a Mac Pro for that .... yeah Mr. Cook we need to have a talk about that!

applebook

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2009
Interesting...I use iPad 0.00000% of the time.

Other tablets...even less often.

Moonlight

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2002
Los Angeles
I tryst autocorrect too but it dies t necessarily mean that it does a good job !

See, a word like "Trust" could never be mistyped if you use autocorrect correctly. I tried misspelling it and using a y like you did and it fixed it every time. If it tries to fix something incorrectly, I just dismiss it and it learns.

If you don't pay attention while typing it can change words to other words, but...pay attention when you type!!!!!

----------

And you can feel each physical key but you can't with virtual keyboard. While typing on virtual keyboard, your eyes have to stare at each key that you want to hit, which slows down typing speed dramatically.

I learned to type eyes free on my iPhone. What do you say about that? It just takes practice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.