Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

9Benua

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
Hi guys, a friend of mine bought verizon iPhone5 no contract to be used with AT&T. However, she can't get the internet to work. The AT&T reps told her something to do with her IMEI. I thought the verizon iPhone5 is SIM unlock and can be used with any carrier. Any suggestion on how to get her iphone5 to work with AT&T internet?

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
Hi guys, a friend of mine bought verizon iPhone5 no contract to be used with AT&T. However, she can't get the internet to work. The AT&T reps told her something to do with her IMEI. I thought the verizon iPhone5 is SIM unlock and can be used with any carrier. Any suggestion on how to get her iphone5 to work with AT&T internet?

Why on earth would someone do this? Why not buy a no contract AT&T phone? You won't get LTE on AT&T either, only HSPA+.

I am sure you will have to manually load APN settings. On wifi on the phone go to http://www.unlockit.co.nz/unlockit/ and download the AT&T settings.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Buying a Verizon iPhone to use on AT&T... may I ask why? This action seems very... counter-productive. Are they going out of country a lot or something?

kevroc

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011

Update your apn settings

From the phone via wifi go to:

http://www.unlockit.co.nz/unlockit/

Select the correct carrier

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Buying a Verizon iPhone to use on AT&T... may I ask why? This action seems very... counter-productive. Are they going out of country a lot or something?

I ended up finding a white verizon i5 for real cheap from a friend.
He just wanted to unload it to pay his verizon ETF and switch to AT&T. So I bought it for $300 and its in perfect condition.
I wonder if I can use it on one of my AT&T lines without any probs?
I know it wont get AT&T LTE but HSPA+ should be good enough.
Wonder if facetime, voisual voicemail,mms and data all work ok.
Anyone else use a verizon i5 on AT&T?
Any issues besides having to enter the correct apn settings?

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
He just wanted to unload it to pay his verizon ETF and switch to AT&T. So I bought it for $300 and its in perfect condition.

It will work fine. You'll get everything except LTE.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011

Do not believe any of the posts telling you to go to an unlock site if you have Verizon phone. GSM is unlocked. Are you sure your friend bought a verizon phone. Both the verizon and sprint iphone 5 have the same model number A1429. The Verizon model is unlocked, the Sprint is locked. If you do have verizon model, make sure phone is off. Activate AT&T nanosim. You can do this at AT&T or per instructions that come with nanosim. Insert sim, turn on wait a minute or two. Then go to Settings, About, and see if it network says AT&T

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Yes it will work just fine for FaceTime, Visual Voicemail and MMS if your existing AT&T voice plan and features are compatible.

Note: Your line has to be provisioned correctly for Visual Voicemail and MMS. These are settings the Customer Care can set but you don't have access to these settings directly.

Dave

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012

The OP bought full price no contract Verizon phone for use on AT&T. Your situation is quite different.

9Benua

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011

She will go back to her country next year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.