Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
"How good are you at the physical keyboard which confounds a lot of people?"
"Quite good, I think if you stick with it a little while you get quite good at it and the autocorrection is quite good"

He's saying people should be using the virtual keyboard despite being confounded

Saying "if you stick with it for a while, it is quite good" when asked "how good is the keyboard" is NOT telling people they should use the virtual keyboard for everything they do.

You're reading WAY too much into his response to a subjective question that was NOT "do you think people should ditch physical keyboards?"

----------

OK so Mr. Cook isn't in to real computers. He prefers Apple's toy computers instead. That's OK, I just hope Apple continues to support more traditional computer users.

My favorite input device is Apple's full-size wired keyboard.

A more accurate statement would be "real computers" are not optimal for 80% of Tim's daily workload.

Your workload may be similar. Your workload may be different. Mine for one is certainly different. I'm an enterprise network administrator.

An iPad is no good for most of what I do. That doesn't mean i'm going to interpret a CEO who loves his iPad as being out of touch with reality. It is highly dependent on what you do.

A friend is a paramedic. For what he does (attending to accidents, out in the real world), the iPad is great (supplied as standard issue by his employer, no less). Does he not do real work?

Last edited:

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
Well if I had an assistant to type up emails and memos at my job id probably only type on Ipad too. But unfortunately I dont.

I can type much faster on a physical keyboard than an on screen keyboard. Not only that I can pretty much type without looking at my laptop. With my ipad not so.

hrl

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2009
Pacific Northwest
Cook probably uses his iPad to view spreadsheets, emails, reports... Some simple tasks that can be done on an iPad. I would be very worried if he makes his own docs on his iPad. One of my colleagues has integrated his company's reports and docs to be used with iOS devices. It's not new anymore.

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2012
Hm. I'm not liking this. But, I'm going to have to change. Just like Steve Job said, Apple is going to make products for the public consumers whether it's what they want or not.

usersince86

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
that's funny...

Ugh, this is a sign of things to come. Long live traditional laptops!

Remember when laptops were new and revolutionary? ;)

Seems to me that nothing in computers is around long enough to become truly "traditional". When we got our first Mac (1986), my whole extended family thought the mouse was crazy.

I rarely use a mouse anymore, and when I do, it's nothing like the one I used then.

Not trying to bash, just sayin' that things change, and they're changing faster than ever.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Tim Cook isn't a content creator and obviously doesn't communicate out much. The onscreen keyboards are pathetic. I can type 135 wpm on a real keyboard. I know a woman who types 300 wpm. The onscreen keyboards are a tiny fraction of that even with the best onscreen typist. I hope that this is not a sign that Tim Cook thinks keyboards should die out.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Auto correct is rendered almost pointless when you often type messages etc in two different languages and don't want to flip between a character based keyboard and an alphabet one.

I need to constantly stop auto correct from changing my Japanese words into odd English words.

I don't mind auto correct though when using it with just one language - English. Then it seems to work well enough.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
tim cook isn't a content creator and obviously doesn't communicate out much. The onscreen keyboards are pathetic. I can type 135 wpm on a real keyboard. i know a woman who types 300 wpm. The onscreen keyboards are a tiny fraction of that even with the best onscreen typist. I hope that this is not a sign that tim cook thinks keyboards should die out.

roflmao!

sekazi

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2012
I rarely ever look at my keyboard. It also sits below the table top. If I had to type on a touch keyboard it would have to be on top of the table and I would have to stare at it constantly.

Now when it comes to the iPhone I can manage to type quite a bit without looking but that is because you are pretty much looking at it while typing.

I would probably go from about 80wpm to about 10wpm if that.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
My ex types 220wpm. I'm around 200wpm myself.

It is not impossible. Back in the day when office girls were expected to type everything, a lot more importance was placed on typing speed.

Right. Which ones are you two on the list of worlds fastest typists? And well under 200 wpm.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
So Tim spends 20% of his screen time doing heavy typing? Get that man a secretary!

That's why he only spends 20%

----------

"my" CEO is not using the most productive available tools for the job (which is a desktop computer - when in the office - and a laptop - on the go)

Actually 'most productive, is a matter of personal use. YOU think it is a desktop or laptop. Others have different experiences. You use what you want and respect others right to decide for themselves

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002
I am watching Rock Center right now, and Brian Williams is a complete turd. Is he just a living cliché machine? He interviews about 10% of the time, and snipes with comments completely separate from the interview the other 90%.

PS - Also, Brian Williams just talks about himself most of the time too. I can't believe this show is still on the air...

Aspen

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2009
It's nothing but a sales pitch. They aren't here to change the world, they are just wanting to sell product. Simple

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.