Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
I am going from a 2009 to a 2013 iMac in 2-3 weeks.

I want to start completely fresh.

However, I have quite an elaborate Geektool desktop setup that I has evolved over the years.

I am not an expert at Geektool and it took a lot of trial and error to get it set up just right.

I will never be able to repeat what I did again. It would take hours/days to even attempt to research each of the things I accomplished.

So...

Using Mac migration would obviously copy over all my Geektool settings and directories.

But if I want to start completely fresh...

Is there a backup/restore solution for Geektools?

I wish Mac Migration had a way of letting me select exactly what I want to port over and what I don't. I would port over Geektools and forget everything else.

Thanks for any help.

yetiboy

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2011
As far as I know, the only way you can do it is by exporting each individual geeklet. If there's a better way I'd love to know too, since I've had to export and reinstall all of my geeklets every time I wipe my OS and start fresh.

yeti

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
Thanks for the response. It is looking as if I won't be able to start out fresh as I am uncertain where all the Geektool files are located....although I suppose all the scripts I created will show the file locations.

yetiboy

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2011
I would assume you should be able to find all of your geeklets on your desktop, no? You'll just have to click on each and every one of them so you can export them.

yeti

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
Yeti,

Please stay with me here. Perhaps you know an easier way.

I was going to go into each Geeklet and copy the links in each section (script and file location) to a text file that I could reference when I get the new iMac.

Then, with the script as my guide, copy the original Geeklet files from the designated locations.

Is there a simple EXPORT button anywhere?

What would you recommend as the best way to copy all my Geeklets so I can easily put them on my new iMac?

Thank you so much. You have been really kind to help.

kamuix

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011
california
Actually there is an export button. When you click on each geeklet window you have open on the top you'll see properties. Just below is a box where you can type the name of the geeklet and there is an export button right next to it. I was able to export a script onto my desktop. So you can label each script you have and export it so you know which is which. If you need a screen shot I can give you one.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
Yes...yes. I see the EXPORT button. Thank you.

Will work with that. Much appreciated.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Actually there is an export button. When you click on each geeklet window you have open on the top you'll see properties. Just below is a box where you can type the name of the geeklet and there is an export button right next to it. I was able to export a script onto my desktop. So you can label each script you have and export it so you know which is which. If you need a screen shot I can give you one.

Thank you for pointing that out.

About a year ago I fiddled a lot with it, found all the files on the disk but if you move them out and then manually back they won't work properly anymore.

So, thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.