Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
So I got some bad news :(

There is an area on my Nexus 4 that receives no touch input. Either that, or it is extremely inconsistent. This is the section right about where the bottom row of icons are located, directly above the on-screen navigation buttons.

I tried installing this "fix" for touch sensitivity, but it did not fix the specific problem I am having. And I noticed this problem before I tried that fix, so it was not a result of that.

I am about to try a full system reset to see if that helps. Hopefully it will. I will post back if it does.

If I have to send it back to Google, what process would I need to go through to make sure they don't know I rooted? Just unroot? Or would I also have to lock the bootloader as well? And would a full system reset do all of that? Or do I need to go back and use the toolkit from XDA?

Here is a video I just shot showing the problem:

Last edited:

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
That sucks sorry to hear that. I got paranoid and just checked mine and I don't have any issues (at least not in that area which I just checked).

I've never sent back a phone so I'm not entirely sure what the policy is but I think you'll have to lock the bootloader as well. You should do that anyway since it wipes the phone which you wanna do if you'll be giving it away. You'll have to download the stock google stock image and install that.

I am not 100% sure so ask/look around.

Edit: this xda thread looks like what you're looking for http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2010312

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
That sucks sorry to hear that. I got paranoid and just checked mine and I don't have any issues (at least not in that area which I just checked).

I've never sent back a phone so I'm not entirely sure what the policy is but I think you'll have to lock the bootloader as well. You should do that anyway since it wipes the phone which you wanna do if you'll be giving it away. You'll have to download the stock google stock image and install that.

I am not 100% sure so ask/look around.

Edit: this xda thread looks like what you're looking for http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2010312

I do have a complete backup from before I installed that "fix." Do you know if I would be able to just restore to that and then unroot and lock the bootloader again? I am also posting this on XDA to see if anyone there can offer any advice.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I do have a complete backup from before I installed that "fix." Do you know if I would be able to just restore to that and then unroot and lock the bootloader again? I am also posting this on XDA to see if anyone there can offer any advice.

I don't see why not but as I said I'm not 100% sure sorry.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Definitely looks like a defect of some sort. Sorry to hear, mate. Something's amiss somewhere. That may also explain why Power Toggles kept crashing for you (I've had it since day one of owning my N4 and hasn't crashed once).

Google will replace, I'm sure. I'd reach out to them ASAP. I think the window is 14 days? Not positive.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
The toolkit I used for my Nexus 7 had an option to install the stock factory image, does yours have that option? If it does, do that and you'll go back to being unrooted, then relock your bootloader and you'll be right to send it back.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
The toolkit I used for my Nexus 7 had an option to install the stock factory image, does yours have that option? If it does, do that and you'll go back to being unrooted, then relock your bootloader and you'll be right to send it back.
Thanks for the suggestion! I am backing up all my apps right now.

Yeah it does.
Do you know where that option is in the toolkit?

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
I am getting an error every time the toolkit tries to download the factory image.

Just found this other toolkit:
http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/

I am gonna see how well that works for going back to the factory image.

Last edited:

steviewhy

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
Have you tried turning on "Show Touches" & "Show Pointer Location" in:

Developer options>Input

If the touches show up but the screen doesn't react it would probably point to a software/os problem instead of hardware. If that's the case a restore may work.

Attachments

• input.jpg
    input.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 97

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Have you tried turning on "Show Touches" & "Show Pointer Location" in:

Developer options>Input

If the touches show up but the screen doesn't react it would probably point to a software/os problem instead of hardware. If that's the case a restore may work.

Restore only made it worse. Added another video in the original post. And here is one with those checked:

Man, and I almost sold my iPhone 4S! Good thing I haven't done that yet.

Definitely looks like a defect of some sort. Sorry to hear, mate. Something's amiss somewhere. That may also explain why Power Toggles kept crashing for you (I've had it since day one of owning my N4 and hasn't crashed once).

Google will replace, I'm sure. I'd reach out to them ASAP. I think the window is 14 days? Not positive.

Got another Nexus 4 on the way. But with a dead screen, physical buttons don't sound too bad, ehhhhhh?????? ;)

Last edited:

steviewhy

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
Restore only made it worse. Added another video in the original post. And here is one with those checked:

Man, and I almost sold my iPhone 4S! Good thing I haven't done that yet.

Got another Nexus 4 on the way. But with a dead screen, physical buttons don't sound too bad, ehhhhhh?????? ;)

It does look like a hardware problem. Hopefully the replacement proves to be more reliable.

rezorate

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2012
Holy cow. My phone has this same exact problem. Did you ever figure out what it is, or did you have to send it back? I recently sold my iPhone 4S so I'm hoping it's not a hardware problem.

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
I had the exact same issue on my model! I've returned it now and am waiting for the refund. I admit there are other reasons why I prefer iOS to Android.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I'm starting to feel the same way. I would have much preferred they went with Samsung again. Would have made it way easier to transition from my S3 (boy do I miss this phone) to Nexus 4.

I personally love the look and feel of the Nexus 4, much improved over the Galaxy Nexus. Problem seems to be that while the build materials feel/look great, the build quality seems to be subpar. Shame too because it's my favorite design of any Android handset to date.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I personally love the look and feel of the Nexus 4, much improved over the Galaxy Nexus. Problem seems to be that while the build materials feel/look great, the build quality seems to be subpar. Shame too because it's my favorite design of any Android handset to date.

I agree with pretty much everything you said except it feels a bit too thick when compared to the S3. Even my HTC 8X which is a millimeter thicker feels thinner than the Nexus 4 because of the way it's designed.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I agree with pretty much everything you said except it feels a bit too thick when compared to the S3. Even my HTC 8X which is a millimeter thicker feels thinner than the Nexus 4 because of the way it's designed.

Yeah, doesn't have the slightly rounded back like many devices that lends to possibly a better feel in the hand but I guess I'm used to the "slab" style design since I've used the last few iPhones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.