Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
http://www.apple.com/iphone/iphone-4/tips/ And http://www.apple.com/iphone/iphone-5/tips/ (Go to the tips about the Maps. It's in the paragraphs)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 736
Last edited:

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
even though the iphone 4 shipped with google maps that tips site is for ios 6 and apple maps not google maps.

it could just be that when they updated the page for ios 6 they didnt remove the street view snippet from the page

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
All I can say is I'm running IOS 6.1 and it doesn't have street view. It has 3D view you can zoom in on but as far as "Street View" that might be a trademark of Google.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Very odd considering the rest of the page/ images have been updated to iOS 6 (and the map even shows Apple's, not Googles), but it's likely just a bad copy and paste job that will likely be fixed soon.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
iPhone 4 runs iOS 6 just fine--it doesn't really matter what version of iOS was around when then phone was released.

That said, chances are it's wording that was left over from tips/promotional information related to the maps app prior to iOS 6 and when Apple was updating it for iOS 6 they might have overlooked some small parts, like a couple of words referring to street view (which was there with pre-iOS 6 maps app based on Google Maps).

At the same time, that is also not to say that Apple won't roll something out (with time likely) that would be similar to street view that Google has for their maps.

May 8, 2008
Very odd considering the rest of the page/ images have been updated to iOS 6 (and the map even shows Apple's, not Googles), but it's likely just a bad copy and paste job that will likely be fixed soon.

Almost certainly. I cannot see Apple copying a name so closely associated with Google. If this is an upcoming feature of Apple maps, it will definitely be called something different.

Pank9j

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2012
All I can say is I'm running IOS 6.1 and it doesn't have street view. It has 3D view you can zoom in on but as far as "Street View" that might be a trademark of Google.

You are not alone my dear lacs of people are using 6.1 :D

----------

It's just a typo guys...these things happen all the time on Apple's site.

Typo in image ?? :eek:

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Wow some false hope there. Genuinely hope Apple was preparing something like this.

And why the heck would Apple leak a yet-to-be released feature on their official website?:confused:

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Why do I get the feeling that Apple is thinking that Flyover is a "superior" version of street view and they're likely to go with it?

Highly doubt Apple will implement Street View again, but hey, hope they can prove me wrong. :cool:

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Could you do the whole "drop a purple pin" before in iOS?

And "street view" is not a trademarked term...."Google Street View" is.

...and for the 100th time, C3 was already working on their version of street view more than a year ago as posted on this site. It is coming.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
It will be a long time before you see Apple replicate Street View.

Perhaps they could partner with somebody (not Google) already doing it? Like Bing.

I don't really mind; Street View is not the biggest problem with maps. Maps are the biggest problem with maps.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Perhaps they could partner with somebody (not Google) already doing it? Like Bing.

I don't really mind; Street View is not the biggest problem with maps. Maps are the biggest problem with maps.

Love your last line. So true!:D

Heb 7:4

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2011
Could you do the whole "drop a purple pin" before in iOS?

...and for the 100th time, C3 was already working on their version of street view more than a year ago as posted on this site. It is coming.

Yes, you've always been able to do it I think?

GAVyCl.jpg

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Typo in image ?? :eek:

I don't see anything wrong with the image, but remember when the iPad came out and it looked like you could watch the Flash video on WSJ? There have been more examples, too. I really don't think that the people putting up the web content know the secret roadmap for Apple products and features.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia

That's not relevant. If Apple made the same feature and called it "Street View", they would get their arse handed to them in court. It doesn't need to be an exact match as long as the similarity would cause confusion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.