Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Never as the question "what would steve have done?"

Geee wiz, there goes all of the fanboys most popular comment for the last year

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
This is a move in the right direction. How Apple does will remain to be seen.

Challenged by variable quality control in their current operations, it would be a very welcome move to see it improved.

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
Ironic...

Ironic how this news exactly preceded Apple's largest single-day stock valuation loss in history. Investors are clearly freaking-out: "OMG! Apple is going to unionize and production costs will go up ten-fold! Sell! Sell! Sell!" In a free market economy everything has a cost.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
It would have to be a smaller scale product, if it were exclusively manufactured in the US, so I'm guessing Mac Pro.

It will be highly automated and of big scale - else it wouldn't be profitable for Apple to produce in the U.S. from my point of view. Maybe the Macbook or iMac/Mac Pro lines - iPhones and iPads are too complicated to be assembled automatically as we have learned.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
TV's, thinner iMac's, more iPad's, integrated Intel graphics in most Mac systems, iMac's using mobile HDD's again, only one 27" stripped down iMac LED LCD panel offered as a display, no Mac Pro update(s), iWork '09 remaining untouched aside from iOS updates, iLife '11 remained untouched aside from iOS updates - oh, and prices remain the same or higher even though some products are losing features such as ODD's and increased use of integrated Intel graphics to "slim" systems. Yet, a TV, yes, THAT'S important.

Gone are the days when high quality displays in 30", 23" and 20" were offered (choice, what a novel idea) and replaced with an over priced 27" iMac display with cables too short to reach the Mac Pro. Let's not forget the PowerMac G5, starting at $1999, and well equipped, which was replaced with the Intel Mac Pro, starting at $2499, and not well equipped. Sigh.

Attachments

• cinema-080807.gif
    cinema-080807.gif
    49 KB · Views: 88
  • Power_Mac_G5_hero_left.jpg
    Power_Mac_G5_hero_left.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 75

Rocketman

macrumors 603
That is funny, but I'd do the same if I were them. The US government has shown with things like stuxnet and flame that they can be VERY aggressive and invasive with cyber intelligence and even outright sabotage.
It was FEDGOV that disclosed sources and methods by expressing concern for Chinese manufactured units with no known examples of back doors because all the chip masks are designed in the USA. All the back doors we carefully installed for years became instantly useless. FEDGOV is objectively stupid on security and economics. The private sector should simply take over most of its functions. Okay to receive finance from the Fed for the transition.

Rocketman

Last edited:

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
"Tim Cook announced one of the existing Mac lines will be manufactured exclusively in the United States next year."
"Apple is spending about $100 million on the effort."

For that small amount of money is has to be the Mac Pro. The smaller number of machines sold would be a good test for this in the USA.

I would bet you are correct. A major reason would also be the comparative ease of assembly. Workers need less expertise. Compare the insides of an iMac to a Mac Pro. I'm up for assembling my own Mac Pro. Send me a box of parts with instructions and I'm good to go. :)

----------

TV's, thinner iMac's, more iPad's, integrated Intel graphics in most Mac systems, iMac's using mobile HDD's again, only one 27" stripped down iMac LED LCD panel offered as a display, no Mac Pro update(s), iWork '09 remaining untouched aside from iOS updates, iLife '11 remained untouched aside from iOS updates - oh, and prices remain the same or higher even though some products are losing features such as ODD's and increased use of integrated Intel graphics to "slim" systems. Yet, a TV, yes, THAT'S important.

Gone are the days when high quality displays in 30", 23" and 20" were offered (choice, what a novel idea) and replaced with an over priced 27" iMac display with cables too short to reach the Mac Pro. Let's not forget the PowerMac G5, starting at $1999, and well equipped, which was replaced with the Intel Mac Pro, starting at $2499, and not well equipped. Sigh.

Before we breathe that final sigh of sorrow, lets wait and see what the new Mac Pro has to offer early next year. Besides, you are too young for nostalgic regret. :)

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
Free trade agreements with other countries was a bad idea for the US to do. You cannot compete with slave labor. I can see components being made in china but should be at least assembled in the US to help both countries and keep costs down. Still think this plan is a back room deal with our government and apple to let apple bring back billions made over seas at a less tax rate in exchange for a promise to creat jobs in america. I'll believe it when I read about this effort if it actually creates allot of jobs. I doubt it though.

Boomish69

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
London
I dunno I can't get Tim C, there isn't the passion or big picture. he talks in such a false way..
I doubt very much he has the US or the Mac in his high priority list..(especially Logic)

Flood123

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Living Stateside
I heard that the Mac Pro was manufactured in Ireland. Is this true? If that is in fact the case, it is a shame that they could possibly be pulling it from them. I'd much rather see them bring something else stateside from China or Brazil.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Your going to do something right Apple! America is in as much of a mess as everyone else so you should bring jobs and investment back to your own country!
I bet they make the new Mac Pro in America. Lets hope they don't spread their intense fascination with making everything with glue to the new Pros eh ;)
It would be a nice buy the new iMac 27" if you didn't need a heat gun and guitar picks just to install your own SSD!
It's like, new iPhone 5 and it's the easiest and most repairable yet, in contrast everything else we make is the hardest to repair and upgrade they have ever been all by design.....

----------

I heard that the Mac Pro was manufactured in Ireland. Is this true? If that is in fact the case, it is a shame that they could possibly be pulling it from them. I'd much rather see them bring something else stateside from China or Brazil.

?????? I thought they yanked all operations from Ireland years ago?

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
It would have to be a smaller scale product, if it were exclusively manufactured in the US, so I'm guessing Mac Pro.

The Mac Pro actually accounts for about 92% of Apple's gross margins. Not many people know this, but it's their #1 seller; nearly every University has literally thousands of Mac Pros, and every Supercomputer in the world made after 2003 is either comprised by Mac Pros, or G5s.

Also, all smart people have at least one in their home.

Of course, if you deny this, you'll just be proving to all of us that you're not smart.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Well Apple, if you love education as much as you say you do, why not put some of that huge pile of money you have back into the education system? :rolleyes:

APPLE is certainly trying hard enough to get iPads in every classroom. Add to that, their effort to revolutionize textbooks, and you can't really say they're not trying. I know, I know, those aren't totally altruistic motives but even though APPLE would benefit from a better educated and more skilled workforce, you can't possibly mean that they are now responsible to some degree, for educating our children.

Or, if you're talking about retraining displaced American workers, same deal.

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009

A "rea|" MP really starts at around $4,000+.... PM G5s started@$1699. But agreed

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
The Mac Pro actually accounts for about 92% of Apple's gross margins. Not many people know this, but it's their #1 seller; nearly every University has literally thousands of Mac Pros, and every Supercomputer in the world made after 2003 is either comprised by Mac Pros, or G5s.

Also, all smart people have at least one in their home.

Of course, if you deny this, you'll just be proving to all of us that you're not smart.

Agree 100%. Of course I do have two Mac Pro's in my home. So it would appear that I am twice as smart as everyone else. Seems logical enough. :)

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
As we´ve all seen, some of the current crop of new iMacs have been assembled in USA so it is very probable that the iMac is the line that will be produced in the U.S.

I think that they have dropped volume enough they will just ship parts here and assemble right next to the UPS truck. Kind of what Dell did in the early days. I can't see them building circuit boards here, or parts here.... They probably are pretty close to that with repair depots and Genius Bar already... There's no reason you shouldn't be able to get any Mac desktop configuration next day overnight... There aren't that many options any more. The supply chain already delivers to stores daily. Just leave some boxes half finished with pre-tested parts ready to go.

Bantz

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2012
Wont his be a bad things for the products? American made things dont have the best reputation. Take American cars for example they are a laughing stock.

Henri Gaudier

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2005
France
And so it's nearly here, crunch-time. Remember all those capitalist drones & globalisation freaks who so very recently said that an iPhone/Apple product made in America would be 10 times more expensive than a Chinese made one? Remember the "facts" of $5,000 & $10,000 that these Reaganites, Sakozians, Thatcherites puked out?

The jury is very nearly in mes amis.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.