Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
15 second exposure on Calgary's Center Street Bridge. Was very cold that night!!!

It was tough to get the right white balance with all the orange lights around. Made each photo look too warm.

Canon 5D Mark II
ISO 100
50mm
f/22

Attachments

• IMG_7682.jpg
    IMG_7682.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 180

LumbermanSVO

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Denton, TX
I really like this shot. It's simple, honest and unpretentious. There's that little bit of intrigue there too, I want to know what's going to happen after the fire is going! :eek: Is he going to sit there sipping a drink next to the fire, is he going to don the cap and dance a merry jig? Thank you for engrossing me like that LumbermanSVO. I hope all is going well for you with your simplifying of your life. :)

Thank you very much sir! The simplifying is going well so far and my bank account is starting to agree ;)

There is another shot from this series. I'll be offline from tonight to Sunday evening, I'll post the third one from this series then.

_MG_1616-XL.jpg

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
I just skimmed the tutorial at that link. His approach is a bit different from what I would recommend. It looks as though he's using the luminosity mask on a curves adjustment layer, but you'll get better results if you use it on a Smart Object that is a raw file processed for the highlights, with a second raw file beneath it that is processed for the shadows. That way you'll be pulling more out of your raw data. Just my $0.02. :)

So are you saying to use the luminosity masks to layer the two smart objects(raws) together? Apologies, I'm a bit new to using masking and smart objects. I have only this semester learned about fully non destructive workflows.

Oh, and you can add me to the list of folks eagerly awaiting your Articles.

Have to say I think the shot looks better when you roll over and therefore without the luma masks!

Personally, I dont care for the before or after of that image. Like i said someone on the forum suggested it. I went through the tutorial using an image of my own, and liked the results so I have been telling others about it.

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
The roads get waterlogged, in my neighbourhood, after so much rain...

Geeze, you'd want to know where not to stand as traffic passes. :eek: There again, you'd learn quick enough! :D

-----------------

Back to the Lavender Farm for me today, not that I was there today, just revisiting it here, if that makes sense? I dragged this huge harvesting trolley all around the place taking pictures with it in the background, in the foreground, just with bits of it visible, this ended up being my favourite. Yet another to use on their website. :)

IMG_7263.jpg

Last edited:

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
Todays shot was a quick fire as I needed to finish off a roll of Kodak Ektar that I had in my film back which I find to slow to do anything with!

As always, comments are appreciated.

Buddah by acearchie, on Flickr

I don't know a single thing about portraiture or film photography, so can't comment there, but, it is good to see your girlfriend smile! Who couldn't like that! :)

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006

Have you checked out the weekly photo contest? This would fit in nicely with the theme!

I don't know a single thing about portraiture or film photography, so can't comment there, but, it is good to see your girlfriend smile! Who couldn't like that! :)

Thanks for the comment! Something like that is always nicer than a critique. Although in a sort of pose it felt quite natural.

Now at the other end of the scale here is a totally natural shot with absolutely zero posing!

As always, comments are appreciated!

Should Be An Album Cover by acearchie, on Flickr

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010

macAllen

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2009
Las Vegas
Yes. Yes, that tree is complete. Hmm. I think the photographer may have enjoyed one or two, maybe three or four egg nog treats as it was going up.

A little blurry but the Christmas spirit shines through. Good one.

BJ

Barry, it's Hot Chocolate for me not Egg Nog!
I like this photo, the blur and the light is what makes it interesting. :)
It's CHRISTMAS BOKEH!!!:D
Have you checked out the weekly photo contest? This would fit in nicely with the theme!
Acearchie, I have! However I have chosen to do this photo...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/afcphoto/8249605896/ AllenCisneros, on Flickr

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
I don't have as much reach as some of the other guys that post bird shots here, this is as close as I could get with my kit 55-250mm lens. The sparrows here find these power poles perfect for nesting in.

IMG_6039.jpg

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
My first attempt at macro with no lighting, which this does need to bring out more detail. A macro LED ring light is on its way to start me off with regard of light. This was taken using a 28-80mm lens with its front lens assembly removed and a UV filter put on to stop the entry of dust. It gets 1:1.75 magnification. Not too bad for $80 worth! I have a reversing ring for my 50mm f/1.8, but it doesn't have the magnification of this, so I've got bellows and a macro track/rails coming for that setup.

This is the stamen of a daisy. Total width of the picture is about 25mm.

_MG_7362.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.