Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
The two of them aren't redundant but I think the iPad is unnecessary if you have an MBA and an iPhone. I've tried to shoehorn the iPad into my daily work, but it's just way too much effort and usability suffers dramatically for most of my uses. It's just easier to use an MBA to get stuff done.

For the other thing I do the most, reading, I've found a Kindle works much better than an iPad. It's cheap and the battery lasts forever. And with the Paperwhite, you've got a built in light so you get the benefit of being able to read in low light and in bright sunlight.

The ONLY place where the iPad really shines for my uses is watching video in bed or on a flight. But I don't think the price of an iPad justifies buying a glorified media player, especially when my iPhone can do everything an iPad does (albeit on a smaller screen).

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
I have a 13 inch MBA & an iPad, both get used heavily for different reasons.

Ditto.

I use both my iPad and Air extensively for work daily. It really depends on your usage patterns and needs, but for me the two complement each other very well. I've written here on how I've used the iPad to go paperless, and how it complements using a computer.

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2012
i have a macbook air 13" 2012 and iphone 5 combination. i feel this is the perfect combination for long term travel when i'm going between hostels, hotel and traaveling between cities and sites by bus and airplane.

MacPat333

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
Dubai
My MBA isn't here yet (hopefully soon), but the iPad2 will stay!

I bought the iPad2 for my wife and since she got it last Christmas her Asus Netbook was used maybe 5-10 times maximum. The iPad is being used every day for a few hours, mostly to watch YouTube and to listen to online radio.

The MBAwil be used by me to edit videos and to write on online forums.

Like someone already wrote, the MBA is for content creation and the iPad for content consumption.

The funny thing, this post was written on the iPad. For short text editing it is ok, but writing bigger posts and attaching pictures or video links don't work well at all with the iPad (to complicated).

I am currently looking for an iPad mini as my iPhone 4s is good for the day, but in the evening before sleeping in the bed it's too small, this is where the iPad mini would be great.

Cheers

Mac_Max

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2004
In July my company decided to gift everyone an iPad 3... the same day I received my BTO MacBook Air 11" :D (I know, sucks to be me right?). I've found that I use my iPad for general "goofing off" and my Air ends up being my work from home computer mostly.

One thing that is nice about owning both is that carrying around both isn't particularly difficult and the iPad's retina display makes for a fantastic second monitor care of Air Display.

So to answer the question: redundant? There is some overlap but I find that there are still rough spots on each platform that prevent one from replacing the other (though I'm a software dev so for other professions/uses YMMV).

xproc

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2012
Malaysia
i have ipad 3 and mba 13, both together plus adapter is over 2.2 kg... 2 weeks later i sold my ipad 3

i had ipad 3.

yangchewren

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
i have ipad 3 and mba 13, both together plus adapter is over 2.2 kg... 2 weeks later i sold my ipad 3

i had ipad 3.

Yup, it just seems that if your intention is to travel light any additional weight counts.

I did not sell my ipad, but it stays at home now just for the sake of content consumption.

KellyC

macrumors member
May 11, 2012
Ok I'll bite. I've seen several of these threads about owning both and have started to reply in the past and gave up. But, here goes...

I've got an iPhone 4, iPad 3, and a 13 inch MBA. All personally-owned devices. At work I've got a Dell laptop running Win 7 hooked up to two monitors.

I do marketing for a software company which is pro-BYOD. I use my work laptop when I'm physically in my office, hooked up to the corporate network, for during office hours content creation, initial doc creation, etc. and then I move projects via the cloud to my personal gear for after hours/weekends, or when I'm traveling. This helps maintain the "separation between church and state" since I'm willing to use my own gear for work, but not work gear for personal. I carry the iPad 3 and the MBA with me to work everyday, the MBA stays in my backpack and the iPad is used during my day job, primarily in meetings to check marketing metrics, look at webpages being discussed, etc.

However, I still use a Moleskine notebook for taking notes and sketching mockups of webpages, etc. I've tried several note taking aps. and sketching aps. and just like the old-fashioned notebook for this purpose.

At home, I run an eBay business where I part out motorcycles and sell old part stock from dealerships. I use a combo of the iPhone and the iPad as my scouting tool, checking classifieds, constantly running Craigslist searches and doing very basic maint. of my eBay store, replying to messages, checking auction status, making deals outside of eBay, etc. I'm checking the two iOS devices throughout the day, making sure my side business stays on the rails.

In addition to after hours work use, my MBA is used for inventory, auction photo uploads, and creating eBay listings. The eBay app. on the iPad sucks for listings, especially if you're doing multiple listings. I'll go on a "cook" (Braking Bad joke between my wife and I) where I'll marathon list over 100 items on eBay in one setting. You just can't do that with an iPad.

My wife has the same set up, iPhone, iPad, and MBA. She's a PT and currently staying home with our kids and on the surface would look like her gear is overkill. However, she uses her MBA as our central photo and video (every parent who has switched to digital knows that managing and storing photos and videos of their kids is practically a part time job) management point, backing it up to a Time Capsule, ext. hard drive, and also to the cloud. iPad for content consumption.

We recently cut cable (and don't miss a thing except Fox news, the app. still sucks) and have an ATV3 so we are using our iOS devices a fair amount around the house. We consume media with the iPads, our three year old daughter watches shows, games with the iPads and we also launch videos, movies for her through the ATV3 with the devices.

My wife is doing around 75% of her reading on the iPad. She still reads paper books, and uses a library card. She is using it to also hit the usual chick sites like Pintrest and that cool site where the mom reverse engineers furniture from Restoration Hardware and posts the plans up (We've built almost all of the furniture in our house). Three-year-old daughter has her own paper book library that takes up an entire wall of her room. We plan to keep her reading on paper through grade school but the tablets are competing (we also have a first gen. Kindle Fire that is basically her's for videos and games but she doesn't have total access to it).

I'm doing all of my reading and video watching on the iPad now. Novels, a lot of work-related content like whitepapers, ppts/pdfs., news, feature news, interests (mountain bikes, motorcycles). Mainly use Twitter and follow people or brands based on their ability to share or point to good content.

Ironically, we spend the majority of our time together as a family not using all of this technology. We use it to save time and be more efficient.

octatonic

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2010
London
I have an iPad, MBA and a Mac Pro.
The Mac Pro does all the heavy lifting (recording studio, anything that requires big screen).
The MBA is for daily use, email, writing documents, internet.
iPad is for on the go and I watch TV in bed (I have trouble sleeping).

I wouldn't be without any of them.

drewaz

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2012
Phoenix
I have an iPad3 (WiFI) with a Zagg keyboard that I carry around work (hospital) so I can access our electronic medical records system anywhere I am. It's like having a light weight portable office.

I use my iPhone for access to the web when I'm not around WiFi and to talk.

My 13" Air for surfing, email etc. around the house.

I use my iMac for photo editing.

Wouldn't want to do without any of them.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
when i had my 15" MBP my ipad with a zagg keyboard case went with me everywhere and the MBP only got use when it was needed on the road.

Since replacing my MBP with an 11" air over the summer my ipad got less and less use. The wife is getting my ipad 3 and i picked up an ipad mini for myself. I have not gotten a keyboard case for it yet but it comes with me every day with my 11" air and is getting more use than the ipad 3 has gotten since i picked up the air.

At least for me the mini & 11" air is the perfect on the go setup.

jennyjimin

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2012
Dear davenz,

I have an iPad 3, and love it for reading, travelling, and browsing the web. I have realised I probably need a computer. I need something which I can use excel, word, and write code on as we'll as keeping my music and data on. This led me to the MacBook Air. Probably 11 inch as when I am at home I can use a monitor. Undecided though.

Does anyone own the 11 MBA and iPad? Is it silly to have both?

I just ordered an iPad Mini for my better half. Since she already has a MacBook Air 11", I would share her comments once Christmas is over! :)

MacPat333

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
Dubai
Dear davenz,

I just ordered an iPad Mini for my better half. Since she already has a MacBook Air 11", I would share her comments once Christmas is over! :)

You mean you bought it for yourself but you'll give it to her so she cannot say anything about it! Smart... ;-)

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
When I had an iPad 3, the Air made it pretty redundant. There was almost nothing I used the iPad for, because it was just about as heavy and had much less power.

However, now that I have an iPad mini, they both have their users. The mini is much more comfortable to use, even without the retina screen, so I use it a lot for browsing, reading, and using iWork when I have just a few basic things to do.

jennyjimin

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2012
Dear MacPat333,

You mean you bought it for yourself but you'll give it to her so she cannot say anything about it! Smart... ;-)

I actually bought the iPad Mini for her.
Then again, she bought my MBP 13" last time, and she is buying me a new MBA/MBP this time, too. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.