Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
Why did you bring this point up?

Because Word files don't work with CMYK, and they have no way to handle logo's in EPS well. So preprint paper is the best.
For digital-only it is OK, but when you hook things to databases, why to generate content with PHP and GD straight to PDF?

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
Because Word files don't work with CMYK, and they have no way to handle logo's in EPS well. So preprint paper is the best.
For digital-only it is OK, but when you hook things to databases, why to generate content with PHP and GD straight to PDF?

Maybe those reasons are why they WOULD need a special version of the logo for use in Word. The only thing they would need is a non-eps version like a high-res tif. CMYK would still print to their desktop printer. Not everything done in Word is a form letter and Word shouldn't be used in a high-volume CMYK printing situation. Most times a Word doc is a one-off like an invoice, fax cover or a report to a small group. Things printed on a desktop printer or to a copier. You can't pre-print a version of your stationery for every layout situation and, like I said, many small businesses would never spend the money to create formal printed stationery in the first place. I don't use Word but I use Apple Numbers for my invoices and I have my logo on them. For only one client, I have to provide a printed version. For all others, I make a pdf and email it to them. They may print it out on their end, I don't know. I use Apple Pages to print any envelopes I might need, which is rare, and they have my logo on them.

I think your assumptions about what people do with Word don't match what happens in real life.

lucidmedia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2008
Wellington, New Zealand
Ask him a few questions:
  • What does alt-left alt-right do in your logo editor? (1 point if he says changing the space between letters/kerning)
  • How do you save a logo for web? (1 point if he says GIF or PNG in sRGB)
  • What format do I get my logo in for print? (1 point if he says .AI, .PDF, .EPS, .SVG or .FHx)
  • What colourspace do you make my logo in? (He should ask you what do you want: Web use, print with spot colour, full colour CMYK: 1 point)
  • How you you downsample a logo in bitmap? (1 point if he says with "bilineair option", bicubic/regular/i don't know looks shît on logos)
  • Do you change individual letters of logotype? (1 point if he does)
  • Does he remove ink-suction-gaps in letter like A, V and W (1 point if he does)
  • Do you include the font in a logo? (1 point if het says you won't need to, I convert it to an outline)
  • What does he say when you ask for a logo for Word docs? (1 point if he knows to convince you not to place logos in word)
  • Does he use triangular connection points in vector paths (1 point if he does)

A pro should score a minimum of 8 out of 10 :D

Also the pro should take you through everything Laurim talked about.

With all due respect, the following questions do more to identify a production artist than a designer. A good designer needs to be facile with tools but, frankly, thats the easy part -- the part you can learn from books. Finding someone who has a strong grasp of graphic form + business strategy is far more difficult.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.