Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dreamer2go

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Apple is playing safe for now.

They introduced so many stuff this year: iPhone 5, iPad 3 and 4th generation, iPad mini, retina macbook pros, mac mini, imac, new ipods etc...

I think it's good to refine what they are doing right, especially projects like iOS 7...

next year should be interesting, where the management shakeup will see it's effect to the fullest.

Moreover, Apple TV. this is the big gun.

Devie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Never liked him on the stage, but here he was better.

He isn't a Jobs. Its not fair to look at him like that. He hasn't got the ability to pull someone into anything. As the interview said, he's a business man. Jobs was a visionary turned business man.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Yes! It was very cool to see Brian Williams ask Josh "so what do you think of _____?

It felt like Brian knew more than just the talking points... very refreshing coming from a mainstream media guy.

I've also enjoyed Brian Williams when he appears on Letterman, etc.

The best part of this interview was that Brian Williams listens to Kendrick Lamar!!!

So kewl

Zedcars

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Brighton, UK
Tim Cook has held the reigns at Apple for almost a year now...

I'm sorry, but how can such a glaring mistake in the first half of the first sentence in an article about the CEO of the company that this site follows have been allowed to be published?

He's been at the helm for over a year, not almost a year!

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I said they wouldn't get too personal in this interview. Not sure which thread that was.

At least it's pretty much confirmed about them working on an Apple TV.

Tim comes off scripted and like a robot.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
I think Tim is likeable. He is not as good as Steve to build expectations and curiosity - he doesn't seem to find stuff to say that are hints but without any concrete info, he rather just say nothing and smile - I kinda know everything Tim is going to answer to every question.....steve jobs would blabber on forever about something without telling you anything, leaving you with a perplexed and baffled mind.

But I think Apple will be able to reinvent TV. TV today has completely stagnated. I bought last years top of the line Samsung TV, knowing that the new tech in this years model would become as useless as the last year tech. The TV is nice and this years image quality is the same, the smart hub is useless and slow....Smart TV today is as dumb as yesterdays smartphones. Just writing in your info with that remote is hell. And I knew the voice recognition and gesture controls would be as bad in the next model, and I was right. I'm not using any of this stuff, its just gimmicks. Apple will manage to fix that, as they have a completely different quality control when developing new stuff.

So here's the future: Apple will make a TV with a LOT of limitations but with such a nice user interface you just have to experience it. The content will be very narrowed (at first) and people who like to plug all kinds of stuff into their tv will have to buy something else. But it will sell a ton anywah, because it's got the apple logo, the sexy user interface and sort of new experience. Then....all the other companies are stuck, they can't compete, because they are selling tv almost without any profit and they need to do something tegother to stay in the fight...Google makes a halfassed android like ripoff and suddenly all other tv manufacturers get a ok'ish OS which over time will become a decent competition. Sounds familiar... :D

Last edited:

1member1

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2012
I agree Tim is not inspiring as Steve Jobs but he's a good replacment.
I cant wait to see the apple tv and hope it wont be US only.

seanjs

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2010
Oceanside, CA
Jeez, I wish they'd just let Cook talk. Williams is talking/narrating 2/3rds of the time and then giving Cook 20 second sound bites that don't say anything. Very frustrating.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
So, from reading this thread I gather that a) Tim Cook is all about PR and not about real action, and b) Tim Cook is an operations guy and no good as a PR guy.

Which is it? I realize that Apple is Doomed (that’s a given—it’s hurtling in flames towards destruction, making mistakes it “never would have before”... same as it always has been) but I want to know exactly why :) Don’t leave me in suspense!

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Wow so scripted.

Tim Cook hasn't offered anything new. He's on a strick course of setting good PR.

Watch the post interview with josh topolski of the verge. They pretty much agree that Tim cook was a robot

Who cares. I want Apple to launch great products, and I don't care who does that or who coordinates it, as long as they get the job done in the best of ways.

Or would you prefer Miley Cyrus or Dave Grohl to be the CEO because they have more "entertainment value"?

WatchTheThrone

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
Brian mentioned Kendrick Lamar :)

Never cared too much for Brian Williams but after he mentioned Kendrick i gotta say i have a new found respect for the man. :)

Kendrick's new album is ridiculously great if you haven't already heard it.

Rend It

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2003
United States
So much hate for Cook. I haven't watched the interview, but I read the snippets, and the Bloomberg article, and I fail to see why it's necessary to call him a robot. Sure, he's not a dynamic personality, but I would rather he not be. Jobs was Jobs. Jobs also made mistakes; among the notable is perhaps his insistence on a one-button mouse.

Cook is doing good things, and adapting quickly to bad moves, like Maps and Browett. Ive and Mansfield should shine. Apple's biggest issue, IMO, is that there are a number of aspects about Mac, iOS, and iCloud that no longer "just work". The number one job should be to get back to making that true of all of their products and services.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
he has the personality of a rock tbh

his keynotes are the worst. if this was my prof. id leave the lectures after 10 minutes ^^

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011
Mac Pro to be made stateside?

It's gotta be. What other line would it make sense to build here, when all the iMacs, Minis and Laptops use similar components?

Shipping 50lb chunks of aluminum all over the world has gotta be a drag.

Do I get a big USA #1 foam finger with it?

----------

Who cares. I want Apple to launch great products, and I don't care who does that or who coordinates it, as long as they get the job done in the best of ways.

Or would you prefer Miley Cyrus or Dave Grohl to be the CEO because they have more "entertainment value"?

I'd take Dave in a minute.

But don't compare him with Miley Cyrus.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
But I think Apple will be able to reinvent TV. TV today has completely stagnated. I bought last years top of the line Samsung TV, knowing that the new tech in this years model would become as useless as the last year tech. The TV is nice and this years image quality is the same, the smart hub is useless and slow....Smart TV today is as dumb as yesterdays smartphones. Just writing in your info with that remote is hell. And I knew the voice recognition and gesture controls would be as bad in the next model, and I was right. I'm not using any of this stuff, its just gimmicks. Apple will manage to fix that, as they have a completely different quality control when developing new stuff.

So here's the future: Apple will make a TV with a LOT of limitations but with such a nice user interface you just have to experience it. The content will be very narrowed (at first) and people who like to plug all kinds of stuff into their tv will have to buy something else. But it will sell a ton anywah, because it's got the apple logo, the sexy user interface and sort of new experience. Then....all the other companies are stuck, they can't compete, because they are selling tv almost without any profit and they need to do something tegother to stay in the fight...Google makes a halfassed android like ripoff and suddenly all other tv manufacturers get a ok'ish OS which over time will become a decent competition. Sounds familiar... :D

+1 for people buying a TV just because it has an Apple logo on it :)

But I'm really curious what all that television will do once they get it home...

People who cut the cord and buy shows from iTunes will love the new Apple Television. It will have an amazing interface and access to all that programming.

But MOST people subscribe to cable or satellite and have a DVR box... which will then be plugged into Input 1 on the back of this beautiful TV. At that point it won't make much difference which brand of TV you have... you're still at the mercy of the Comcast on-screen menus.

So... if you can live in the iTunes/Netflix/Hulu ecosystem... I think an Apple Television will be great.

But there are 100 million cable/satellite subscribers in the US... what will an Apple Television do for them?

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Cook was limited about how much he could reveal without tipping his hat to the competition
Tricky situation. Handled nicely by Cook
Apple is still creative and at the prime of its run

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Sorry, but he is much better than Jobs. Very nice guy and genuinely interested in the greater good, not just greed.

:apple:

No offense, but that sounds very naive. You don't know how he acts behind the scenes.

I have to disagree Steve Jobs was better Tim Cook. Tim just doesn't have that charisma Steve had during keynotes. He's just bland and not exciting IMO.

StarPower

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2012
The negative comments here aren't Tim Cook's "performance"'s fault, they are the fault of too many people who spend far too much time being too anal-y privy of the tech world and Apple business.

To the otherwise WORLD, this interview will be very revealing. Apple has been getting MAULED by the manipulative, criminally BS media in all these subjects. Tim had to set an interview, and set the record straight, once and for all. People OBSESS with finding shortcomings from Apple, anything they can nitpick, holding Apple up to a level they wouldn't dare any other company.

I think the interview was great. Tim speaks like a strong and well thought out CEO who has the culture of Apple's artful product-driven "magic" within him as well. Remember, Tim is the businessman, it's his ability to seek TALENT that will make Apple. He just appointed Jony Ive to be "Steve Jobs 2.0" in terms of creative, so he's already doing the best job possible.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
The biggest deal (for me) is bringing it back to the states. The day that Apple starts making the majority (I'll say 51% to give it a number) of their product in the USA is the day I will likely toss everything else I own aside. This is the most important value I can think of. More important than brining us a shiny new "reinvented" toy every year.

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
Well I liked him in this interview. And indeed we are the Jetons. :) I was watching this on my big Samsung TV using my Apple TV streaming with AirPlay from my iPad. We are living in the future already! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.