Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

motorboating

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
You don't pay more to apple, you pay more cause of your tax laws.

More expensive because of tax and...

US: 27" iMac (3.2GHz stock): $1,999.00 excluding tax.
UK: 27" iMac (3.2GHz stock): $2,273.32 excluding tax.

Difference, before tax: $274.32 more in the UK.

Source: store.apple.com/uk, store.apple.com/us, xe.com/ucc (1 GBP = 1.60545 USD, Mid-market rates: 2012-12-07 03:23 UTC)

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Those are all American things though. How could licensing restrictions prevent them from being given away here when they were made here?

Because distribution on iTunes is considered broadcasting and the studios and nets control that and they say no to US viewers getting them.

X5-599

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2012
I wish everyone would get the same stuff. International content was great. But the (mostly) crap they offered last year in Europe? No, thanks.

At least let the user choose. Don't think you know what's hot in each country!

ThunderRobot

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
There's a real lack of understanding and immaturity on this thread.

The content suppliers are the people who decide what can be given in which territory. They'll have reasons - either they want to raise awareness of something, or move more units to meet a target or simply give away some old product.

Although Apple may make requests of certain providers, what is given away isn't down to the company.

Likewise the decision not to allow this to happen in the US is down to the providers, not Apple.

Moreover, it's a free app offering free media. In order to appeal to a wide range of users there will be stuff you like and stuff you don't like. If you don't like it, don't download it. There's no need to complain about it.

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
You do realize that they do it based on IP address. Unless you're hitting a Canadian proxy you won't be able to access the Canadian iTunes store.

No, you just need an address for the free stuff. And if you want to buy something you just need a giftcards or a creditcard from that country.

I created an italian and french account for the free song of the week and it works well. The free apps of the week are the same though all over the world.

And while I was in Rome and Paris lately I bought some giftcards from the Apple store there causa I got hooked to that lovely french chansons and the cool italian pop music.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Well if last year is anything to go by there should be some good stuff in amongst the junk...Last year I got Snapseed, Sega Racing, some good Coldplay music ( if you like them..:) ) And a couple of TV shows.

I'm glad they are doing it again, and have installed on my phone and my iPad in readiness.

thomaus

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2007
12 Days in Canada

Photo%202012-12-07%2010%2024%2015%20AM.png

This new game seems like something that I might actually win a prize.

Also, it looks like there will be something on Boxing Day in the Mac App store: "Don’t have an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch? Don’t worry. Come back December 26 to download gifts from your computer."

No love for U.S. customers :(?

In Canada we constantly see things that are only available to residents of the 50 states. So sorry you are missing out on this.

Canada gets the Song of the Week as well (might not be the same songs though).

Actually Canada gets two songs of the week. One is in French.

The rare situation where foreign customers get an Apple product or service and not the U.S. Enjoy it while it lasts Canadians. . . you know you're next on the list for invasion the moment we elect a Republican President! :)

Apparently there was a quiet invasion of the US by Canada last Thanksgiving about 2 pm when you all were comatose from L-tryptophan. I saw this on Twitter, so it must have been true.

apernett

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2010
The app started to appear on all latin american iTunes Store. Colombian here. Downloaded. I guess that Apple negotiated rights for all Europe, Latin America and Canada. Cool!

aperantos

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2008
London, U.K.
The iOS app is only a reminder for the daily offers, you do not need it to take advantage of them. Just go to the iTunes store every day and there will be a 12 Day of Christmas panel on the front page.

Last edited:

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
I have no heartburn about it not being in the U.S. (yes, I'm an American).

It seems like it would be a benefit for not only the iTunes user, but also for the producers of the media consumed. There's a great potential of gaining new customers.
People who are already fans of a particular band or TV Show likely own the material.
Others (not in the market in the first place) may be introduced to something they had no reason to put money on previously and find they become (paying) fans.

Wow! You are probably the first person to realize Apple's decisions are never altruistic. :p

pyzon

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
You do realize that they do it based on IP address. Unless you're hitting a Canadian proxy you won't be able to access the Canadian iTunes store.

It's not worth all that trouble. The stuff they give away sucks anyways.

Negative, I have an Irish iTunes account living in the USA and it works fine.

davidvlh

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2009
I created a user in account in Scotland. I get 12 Days of Christmas though I live in the US. Most of the giveaways this year are rubbish. I've noticed that some of the app giveaways are free in the U.S. store anyways. Last year's giveaways were fantastic!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.