Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taylor-C

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
UK
Hi there,

I'm looking for a bit of advice, as I have just noticed that the part of my iPhone 5 between the screen and the metal body (called the bezel I think? - the part that is 'Diamond Cut' or something...) has started to peel away from the top right of my phone. I noticed it as I caught my thumb on the part that snapped and peeled away (which cut my finger).

I was wondering what my best change is at getting a replacement - mainly due to safety, not for aesthetics. I dropped my phone around 3 weeks ago which scuffed the area where the bezel snapped - so if I go to a Genius Bar/call Apple Support will they just blame it on my for dropping it - even though the bezel only stated falling off today and the fall was 3 weeks ago?

I will post pictures when I get access to a camera, as right now the only one I have is the one on my phone...

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
You have Applecare? If yes, I don't think replacement will be a problem for you.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
I didn't buy the extended coverage, but it should be covered by the 1 year service shouldn't it?

Should be. Bring it to the Apple Store and explain your situation to them. No harm trying, and if they can't help you, at least you tried. :)

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Eh what? I don't understand your problem. You're saying that the polished metal chamfer is not wearing, but actually coming up and off the phone? Like on old BlackBerry's? That isn't possible, the aluminium is all one piece, you would have had to do some serious damage to do this

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011
Eh what? I don't understand your problem. You're saying that the polished metal chamfer is not wearing, but actually coming up and off the phone? Like on old BlackBerry's? That isn't possible, the aluminium is all one piece, you would have had to do some serious damage to do this

The black phone is painted. His paint is peeling off. Apple over-enginered the phone and rather than use high strength anodization they used low strength paint on the black phone's chamfer, the edge and back are andozied, and on the white phone it's bare aluminium. Bad design decision imo. Every naked iPhone 5 i've seen in the wild has had horrible paint chipping.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
The black phone is painted. His paint is peeling off. Apple over-enginered the phone and rather than use high strength anodization they used low strength paint on the black phone's chamfer, the edge and back are andozied, and on the white phone it's bare aluminium. Bad design decision imo. Every naked iPhone 5 i've seen in the wild has had horrible paint chipping.

It's not painted. Learn the difference between anodisation and painting.

Likewise, the chamfer does not have paint. It has the exact same anodisation as the sides and back does. If you understood the process of anodisation, you would know that the more porous a metal is, the better the dyeing electrolytes stick to the surface. The chamfer is diamond cut and polished before being anodised. Shockingly, a 'perfectly smooth' (nothing is perfect) isn't very porous.

Nale72

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
Sweden

Likewise, the chamfer does not have paint. It has the exact same anodisation as the sides and back does. If you understood the process of anodisation, you would know that the more porous a metal is, the better the dyeing electrolytes stick to the surface. The chamfer is diamond cut and polished before being anodised. Shockingly, a 'perfectly smooth' (nothing is perfect) isn't very porous.

Thanks for the explanation for those of us who are not experts in anodizing.

So what you're saying is that the chamfer is more or less designed to be less receptive to dyeing and therefore even more easily scratch/lose it's dye and show the naked aluminium?

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012

Instead if starting a whole new argument here, why don't you two go here --> https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1502535/ <-- and discuss it. Whole thread on the topic. To the op. take it to an apple store, and they'll tell you if it's covered or not.

Everybody is so quick to play Wikipedia genius that they forget that the op asked a question as to what he could do, not as to how the phone was made.

Taylor-C

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
UK
Here is a picture... It's the bit between the screen and the bezel I think! Not the best with terminology! I'll take it to an Apple Store I think... Don't know when I can go though as the nearest on to me is almost 2hrs away!

Have attached a picture, thanks for all the suggestions so far!

Attachments

• IMG_2270.JPG
    IMG_2270.JPG
    212.1 KB · Views: 510

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Here is a picture... It's the bit between the screen and the bezel I think! Not the best with terminology! I'll take it to an Apple Store I think... Don't know when I can go though as the nearest on to me is almost 2hrs away!

They should replace that.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
There is no way they'll replace it because the affected area is right where you dropped it. I'm not sure if people saw the picture, but if they're telling you Apple will replace it then I am going to be surprised.

It is not defective in the sense that it just suddenly happened. I think this is truly as a result of the drop. Maybe when you get your next phone you should add the AC+? They'll do a warranty replacement at a discount for you so all is not lost technically, but I would get AC+ right away.

Taylor-C

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
UK
There is no way they'll replace it because the affected area is right where you dropped it. I'm not sure if people saw the picture, but if they're telling you Apple will replace it then I am going to be surprised.

It is not defective in the sense that it just suddenly happened. I think this is truly as a result of the drop. Maybe when you get your next phone you should add the AC+? They'll do a warranty replacement at a discount for you so all is not lost technically, but I would get AC+ right away.

Thanks for your suggestion. I'm in the UK, so I don't think we get Apple Care + here unfortunately...

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Thanks for your suggestion. I'm in the UK, so I don't think we get Apple Care + here unfortunately...

Did you buy it with a CC? Check on the AC+, I don't know why you wouldn't. Your CC may offer some sort of damage waiver. Being that you are in the UK I am obviously very unsure.

S

syd430

What's with the first few responses discussing workmanship, paint, iodising etc?

OP made it clear that he/she dropped the phone in that area that caused the damage.

OP then then thinks that the damage should be covered under warranty because technically a piece from the chamfered edge didn't break off until 3 weeks after the fall.

The answer to your question is simple: No, apple are not obliged to replace the phone, its accidental damage.

I'd also add though, Apple might be lenient here and give you a replacement anyway, as long as you don't go stomping in there demanding a replacement.

/End thread

Last edited by a moderator:

mirekti

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2012

But as one can see the bezel started to peel off at other spots too. So, no worries, it'll get silver in few months anyway.:apple:

darkside flow

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Toronto
If I smash my car and paint starts falling off a few weeks later, that doesn't mean the paint is defective.

I will be very, very surprised if they replace under warranty give the fact it's obvious user damage. However I wish you good luck!

S

syd430

They should replace that.

What? Are you kidding? it didn't come out of the box like that. The OP dropped it in that spot 3 weeks earlier and a loose piece from the drop finally broke off. Why should they replace it?

I do hope that Apple are lenient here and they give OP a replacement, but they definitely arn't obliged to do so.

Also to the OP: you seem to have a bit of an attitude problem when you say "Apple will just blame me even though it happened 3 weeks ago" as if its somehow their fault.

This is why I couldn't be a Genius, I won't be able to handle customers telling me that.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011

Thank you for at least posting a picture. Unfortunately, without AC+ they will likely offer to replace it for $229.00.

If the phone works, get a case and move on (or pay the $). If you are lucky enough to find a Genius that doesn't think this damage resulted from your drop (thanks for being honest about it rather than claiming (as some here would) that it just happened that way over night lol), you MAY be able to get a sympathy replacement, but usually not if you go in complaining that it's Apple's fault.

The freebie replacements I have seen/heard of all happened when people went in and were honest and contrite over what happened and asked nicely for help. The people who went in demanding satisfaction usually ended up with an offer of $229.

Next time if damage like this concerns you spend the extra $99 and get AC+. It's well worth it for a delicate item you use every day.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Next time if damage like this concerns you spend the extra $99 and get AC+. It's well worth it for a delicate item you use every day.

A+

I've said it 100x.

As a paying AppleCare+ buyer, I *HOPE* they charge the OP... not because I don't like him/her or am not sympathetic to their situation... but the rules are written... you buy a warranty and you get a cheap ($50) replacement. I would hope they would at least make the OP buy the $99 warranty as part of the "we'll replace it for you this time" deal. Otherwise I'm the one getting screwed by buying a warranty that I don't need (if they'll just replace them anyway)...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.