Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
The Jetsons... TV...

jetsonstv.jpg

That's their plan. Facetime on your TV.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Cook was limited about how much he could reveal without tipping his hat to the competition Tricky situation. Handled nicely by Cook Apple is still creative and at the prime of its run

The negative comments here aren't Tim Cook's "performance"'s fault, they are the fault of too many people who spend far too much time being too anal-y privy of the tech world and Apple business.
To the otherwise WORLD, this interview will be very revealing. Apple has been getting MAULED by the manipulative, criminally BS media in all these subjects. Tim had to set an interview, and set the record straight, once and for all. People OBSESS with finding shortcomings from Apple, anything they can nitpick, holding Apple up to a level they wouldn't dare any other company. I think the interview was great. Tim speaks like a strong and well thought out CEO who has the culture of Apple's artful product-driven "magic" within him as well. Remember, Tim is the businessman, it's his ability to seek TALENT that will make Apple. He just appointed Jony Ive to be "Steve Jobs 2.0" in terms of creative, so he's already doing the best job possible.

Agreed x2.

.....Proving once again how Apple has big entertainment in their pocket.....

Regrettably not so, cause if that was true, the rumored APPLE TV, wouldn't be far off.

Wow so scripted. Tim Cook hasn't offered anything new. He's on a strick course of setting good PR. Watch the post interview with josh topolski of the verge. They pretty much agree that Tim cook was a robot

Cook interviews like a politician. Brian: <Question> Tim: "You know Brian, <Generic Apple Talking Point>"
.....What's the point of interviewing someone who can't reveal anything new? :rolleyes:

Why so many negative comments on here about Tim Cook? He was in my opinion much more likable and approachable than I've seen him before at product launches. Also, he has to walk a fine line between answering the questions without seeming to be evasive, and yet not revealing so much that it would hurt the company's future plans. Steve may have been more charismatic, but in spite of some suggestions to the contrary on here, he was never any more forthcoming when faced with similar questions.

Tim has a difficult job to do, and pretty big shoes to fill; imho he's doing a pretty good job so far, and he deserves our support.

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
He looked a bit thin /s

I cant understand why everyone's saying he's like a robot. He answered the questions exactly how Jobs would have; like a good politician. And as for not being as charismatic as Steve,... who is?

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
i'd say the iMac will be made in the USA for two reasons.

1. There have been some already done in the USA as recently shown in photos
2. The iMac is not keeping up with demand in just China manufacturing.

JayJayAbels

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2012
Like everyone else I was hoping for a bit more substance from Cook but overall it was an interesting piece. I like Tim. I see what Steve saw in him.

There is NO doubt that Apple will be releasing an actual Apple TV in time for the holidays next year. Along with the new Mac Pros and new stand alone displays, as well as newer iterations of their many iDevices - imo it'll be another block buster year for the Cupertino tech powerhouse.

I think iOS7 will be special this time around. It almost HAS to be.

Not sure what everyone else is experiencing but I'm completely happy with my purchases so far!

:)

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
You're a saint for reading all this

As far as content, there was little, but the idea that he held up the iPhone and said, "This is like the Jetsons," makes me wonder what it is he really gets about the present and sees into the future. Similarly, the idea that he uses an iPad 80% of the time and loves it speaks to him not seeing much past the present.

It seems like a lot of Apple's moves lately have been seeing things they've created previously as puzzle pieces and thinking, "Oh, this looks like it should fit here, as well." They make safe choices that seem like they should be logical. This is the best analogy I could think of: It's like if you didn't know how to decorate a room, but you had a pillow your client liked on one side of a sofa, so you thought, "Well, I have no clue what the end product will/should be, but I need to do something, and putting an identical pillow on the other side of the room won't hurt. I already know the client likes the pillow." And then you realized the owner of the room liked eating toast in the kitchen, so you put a toaster next to her bed so she had toast, there as well. And you think you're onto some type of synergy.

I'm mainly talking about iCloud, the back-to-Mac mentality, etc. The Mac really needs some innovation besides iOS innovation, and now iOS even needs some innovation, as well.

They do things that seem logical but don't recognize the reality of what people do. And then they ignore the quality of applications people have used for a long time like iLife (Mac), QuickTime, iWork, and devote resources to things like Game Center on the Mac. They even get rid of useful cloud features they already had like MobileMe's syncing system preferences across Macs to add ones that are parallel to what is on an iPhone that people don't use in reality. Because, again, they see some power in this parallelism. People like the iPhone, therefore we're going to emulate everything about the iPhone everywhere.

Documents in the Cloud for Mac, for example, is implemented in this really austere way where it's not useful at all IMO, but it conforms exactly to the way Apple has dealt with documents on the iPhone. In reality, again, IMO, Google Drive is imminently more useful. But Apple seems to blindly follow a way that has worked before and keep implementing it as if they'll bulldoze their way into some new revelation of how computing works. I think they are bulldozing a path forward with their eyes closed because they have no idea where to go but if they hope really hard and do things that seem logical--things that market analysts might think up--they will keep succeeding.

Just like the person who keeps adding pillows and toasters to the room.

Apple hasn't made a smart move in a while. I admit they are great at consistency. They get products out the door. They market them. They sell them.

Again, to me, Cook is curator-in-chief of Apple's inertia.

I used to really "get" Apple. I just don't get now how so many more do. I got Apple when far fewer did.

The reason I keep using Apple products are not for features they've added in the last 5 years. It's for the remnants of what's still good. Part of me wants them to tend to those core parts of OS X and software packages. Part of me thinks they'll make them worse! I'm thinking of iLife and Quicktime, for example, as software that's gotten worse as Apple has improved it.

I wonder if Tim Cook would like an interview with me? ;)

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
It was a terrible, low balled interview.

Cook admits Maps is a disaster, but the interviewer doesn't do a followup question asking why Cook allowed it to be released given that. Cook says that Apple "loves" competition, but the interviewer doesn't mention anything about Apple's consistent anti-competitive behaviour.

Really poor, uninspiring stuff. This would be laughed at on British TV.

anomie

Suspended
Jun 29, 2010
I hope more products move from the slavery of china to the US and support our economy.

maybe, but would be bad for the chinese economy. So what? Are the chinese people less worth it?
If you really believe regular people of different countries should be put in competition for jobs to be able to make a living:
The chinese deserve it more after assembling our western world gadgets for more than ten years.
Never again there will be jobs for all of us. That´s why people should live and not work to live.
Amen.

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2006
honestly this read felt like reading a tabloid article..."juiciest detail?"....anyone else feel that way?

StarPower

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2012
Do those two videos have the full interview between them?

I read somewhere that he gave a strong shoutout to Jony Ive, saying that he's the best designer in the world, now in charge of running the creative show, etc. It's a very important tidbit to put out into the public to shut the naysayers up who felt the "magic" died with Steve, and innovation can't go forward. Jony is Steve's creative and innovative soulmate, irreplaceable, and now is stepping into Steve's shoes to handle creative while Tim can run the business. It would be a great message to send to the public, since Mr. Cook is already taking the interview and all.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
he shoul've at least asked Tim WHEN Apple will release something new for the living room.

He wouldn't have gotten an answer. Apple never comments future products really. Just linking the TV and the Jetsons was a big enough clue anyway. Watch a few episodes of the Jetsons and see how they use the TV. It's a big Facetime apparatus.

And really, if that is their plan, they don't need to make a TV set. Just make a Facetime camera add-on for the Apple TV.

EDIT: there is one scenario in which a simple set-top box is inadequate and Apple would require full control over the whole TV set if we're talking Jetsons/Facetime. With a set-top box, on-screen notification of an incoming call would be limited to the input channel where the Apple TV is plugged in (let's say HDMI 2), whereas if Apple controls the whole TV set, no matter which input you're on (your blu-ray player on HDMI 1, your Cable co's DVR on HDMI 4 or your old Nintendo on Composite 1) the notification would be able to pop up as an overlayer. Heck, it would be able to "wake" the TV and advise you even if the set was in a sleep state (display off, electronics still going). Those are all things an Apple TV couldn't do...

But...

Who really wants to get interrupted by a stupid notification that Grand ma is calling just as Batman is about to kick Bane's ass in glorious 1080p Blu-ray quality.... You'd need to be able to set it so that it doesn't notify you during some activities.

Then again...

With CEC, a simple Apple TV would be able to remote control any TVs supporting CEC over HDMI, turn it on, change the input so that you could see the notification of an incoming call. It would be more anyone though as instead of a pop-over, the Apple TV would basically just switch "channels" on you...

Last edited:

mark01

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2012
Apple gives every man's need, not every man's greed.

Once you had an apple product, you cant imagine your life without it.

Dont be greedy, thats what apple is teaching us.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
+1 for people buying a TV just because it has an Apple logo on it :)

But I'm really curious what all that television will do once they get it home...

People who cut the cord and buy shows from iTunes will love the new Apple Television. It will have an amazing interface and access to all that programming.

But MOST people subscribe to cable or satellite and have a DVR box... which will then be plugged into Input 1 on the back of this beautiful TV. At that point it won't make much difference which brand of TV you have... you're still at the mercy of the Comcast on-screen menus.

So... if you can live in the iTunes/Netflix/Hulu ecosystem... I think an Apple Television will be great.

But there are 100 million cable/satellite subscribers in the US... what will an Apple Television do for them?

Exactly. Apple was able to revolutionize the music industry because they were able to get in on the ground floor of digital content.

TV is a whole different ball game. Without first run series or live sports (a HUGE money maker), it is going to be difficult to make inroads to the cable/satellite/network model. Networks have aggressively defended the concept of 'a la cart pricing' or individual channels. There is no way they are going to support for a model that relies on individual shows being purchased when there is a lot more money to be made selling network packages to advertisers.

At some point there may be a tipping point where a different model makes sense, but it's very hard to picture a model where Apple TV is going to have enough fresh content to make it viable alternative for most cable/satellite subsribers.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
The Jetsons... TV...

That's their plan. Facetime on your TV.

weird... that apparatus on top of the tv could've easily been the kinect right now. OR... if they make apple tv with video cam capabilities, that would've suffice.

if they are gonna make an apple tv, i think it would have hand gesture capabilities, facetime, and hologram (would that be awesome)? lol

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
My worry is not with Tim Cook. He's awesome at operations and he knows who to use for what and when. The problem really comes down to the top level guys (Cue, Ivy, etc). When one of those guys go, how will Apple stand up?

And yes, Tim needs to be more exciting at the keynotes.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Brian mentioned Kendrick Lamar :)

Never cared too much for Brian Williams but after he mentioned Kendrick i gotta say i have a new found respect for the man. :)

Kendrick's new album is ridiculously great if you haven't already heard it.

I missed that, when did he mention him?

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I thought Tim Cook did a great job here. He's no Steve Jobs, but he's quick to point out that he's not trying to be either. Outside of iPhone 5 which I passed on, I haven't been too upset with Apples latest offerings. So far I like what I'm seeing, and with Jony Ive as the creative genius behind Apple now, I think they've have some great stuff still left in them.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Cook interviews like a politician.

Brian: <Question>
Tim: "You know Brian, <Generic Apple Talking Point>"

What's the point of interviewing someone who can't reveal anything new? :rolleyes:

Agreed! Very VERY bland.

Well I liked him in this interview. And indeed we are the Jetons. :) I was watching this on my big Samsung TV using my Apple TV streaming with AirPlay from my iPad. We are living in the future already! :)

Have you even watched the Jetsons? Displaying content on a larger screen is VERY 1995. We just cut the wires. We'll be "The Jetsons" when the TV lowers from the ceiling, our chair rises from the ground, and our robotic maids serve us martinis from their chests.

JesseW6889

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2010
I think this is a brilliant move on Apple's part. In the past, how often did Apple announce what they were working on? When the Steve Jobs biography came out, all the other companies began taking an interest in tv and began researching the market. Apple has always been the last to the party, with iPod, iPhone, iPad... I think they're literally letting everyone else go through the growing pains in this field, so that they can learn the lessons by proxy and release a product that blows the competition away.

StarPower

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2012
My worry is not with Tim Cook. He's awesome at operations and he knows who to use for what and when. The problem really comes down to the top level guys (Cue, Ivy, etc). When one of those guys go, how will Apple stand up?

And yes, Tim needs to be more exciting at the keynotes.

Well, they've survived without Steve so far, so as long as they have a strong team and culture and vision intact, they'll survive without the others as well.

Ive is the most irreplaceable one, IMO.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
He looked a bit thin /s

I cant understand why everyone's saying he's like a robot. He answered the questions exactly how Jobs would have; like a good politician. And as for not being as charismatic as Steve,... who is?

Pretty sure these statements were based on what we knew about hime BEFORE this interview. :)

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
Apple gives every man's need, not every man's greed.

Once you had an apple product, you cant imagine your life without it.

Dont be greedy, thats what apple is teaching us.

Thanks for the best laugh of the day. Great way to start.

I love the smell of incense in the morning and one trillion in the bank.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.