Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
Sorry, I wouldn't touch this Chinese Government sponsored company on principle alone.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/05/us-huawei-iran-idUSBRE8B409820121205

As well as this, a number of governments around the world (including the US), will not allow their products due to security concerns.

You will probably want to create another thread with your post if you want my response pointing out your absurdness of demonizing a company because they are Chinese, cause that will derail this thread.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I'm sorry but these specs are closer to the Nexus 7 than a HTC Butterfly/Verizon Droid DNA. It's not a phone or phablet, that a freakin' tablet and as long as you don't mind wearing a headset all of the time, then great. Hold that monster up to your ear and you just look foolish.

And please don't mistake this for a bash on Android or a rant from an Apple fanboy who thinks 4" (and previously 3.5', of course) is just perfect. If you like a bigger phone, great to each their own. I just think there's has to be an end point and personally think 6.1" is way past it.

Well said, and I agree completely.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
That's what all the negative naysaysers said a year ago, when rumors surfaced about an iPad mini.

Narrow minded people are usually wrong.

I didn't...

I mean seriously, there has to be a dividing line between phone and tablet, and I'm pretty sure this crosses it. It's just not practical, and I have a hard time believing this will sell, and people won't return it.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
That's the beauty of choice. You don't have to buy it if you don't want it.

I won't be getting it. But great for those that want to blur the lines even more. Maybe people want to carry only one super-device... a phone that can offer a tablet experience. I see the appeal. Not personally interested, though.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Anyone who uses a phone with a screen bigger than the GS3 looks stupid. I'm sorry, I don't care if you like big screens, you look stupid. Case closed.

They should include wall mounts with these phones.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I'm starting to have a change of heart, regarding "smaller is better" with phones.

It's not that our cell phones are getting bigger; it's that our computers are getting smaller.

Michael

Fancy quote, but I disagree. Most would agree that for content creation, desktops are still the superior device.

Sometimes you just want a massive screen, especially if you're designing something (for precision or to see detail at a decent size).

With phones, even ones that are 6.1", you have to do a lot of unnecessary zooming and panning that you wouldn't have to do on a desktop.

There's also speed; desktop processors are still lightyears ahead where speed is concerned.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
You will probably want to create another thread with your post if you want my response pointing out your absurdness of demonizing a company because they are Chinese, cause that will derail this thread.

I'm not demonizing them because they are Chinese and I find your attempts to align me as a racist extremely insulting.

I am demonizing them because they are a company that profits from openly dealing with oppressive regimes and aids them in their systematic disregard of the basic human rights of the citizens under the control of said regimes.

Last time I checked, this was a forum where people are able to express their opinion of the topic at hand. I am expressing my opinions regarding the complete lack of morality evident in the business dealings of the manufacturer of this phone and their massive conflict of interest from being so completely in bed with a government that they are little more than a puppet of the state.

Pretty much every thread in this sub-forum has at least one person criticising Google because they what? Use information gathered from your habits to target advertising to you without actually disclosing personal or identifying data to a third party? They get demonized for that?

Now imagine a Google which was majority owned by a government with a track record of human rights violations. Google then actively works with it's own government and similarly oppressive governments around the world to place hardware and software in both phone handsets and telecommunications infrastructure which allows those governments to spy on it's citizens without judicial cause. So then one day you have a phone call in which you criticise the government. Soon, in the middle of the night you get dragged away as a political dissident and tortured extensively until you are sufficiently "re-educated". Can you see what I'm getting at here?

Most of the people in this forum have relatively high disposable incomes, and with that comes the freedom to exercise our social conscience when making purchases if we so choose. That is why I think that this information is relevant to any discussion of Huawei.

Besides all of this, a 6.1" phone is just plain ridiculous.

Last edited:

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
I rarely make phone calls and if I do need to, I just use a bluetooth headset, earphones, or the speakerphone. Holding a phone up to one's head is quickly becoming less and less needed. Most of my communication is done my texting or some other text based medium. I use my Galaxy Note 2 as my primary web surfer, news reader, camera, GPS, and I often watch videos on it too. Using it as a phone is low on the list of things I do with it.

As I've said in a past thread about the Galaxy Note 2, I thought it could be bigger since its not actually that large once you've used it for a few weeks. What will most likely happen with the new 6+ inch Android phones is that the bezels will become smaller and we will actually approach true edge to edge screens. This will allow them to be about the same size as the current Galaxy Note 2 but with a 6+ inch screen within the current form factor. If you have a Galaxy Note 2, you can easily see how they could fit a 6+ inch screen on there without changing the over all size much.

I am hugely excited to see what Samsung brings to the table for the Galaxy Note 3 and there is a very good chance I will be buying it even though I just got my Galaxy Note 2.

I agree. as long as the bezel isnt too big I think this is the perfect phablet for me. I was wanting the note 2 but decided the screen was too small and was seriously considering using a tab 2 7.0 as a phablet. I think this hits the sweet spot.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
Future : Samsung Release Galaxy SX 10'' inch phone inspired by nature !!! :p

I hear Monsanto is coming out with an 11" phone inspired by genetically modified nature. Of course, given Bill's massive support for evil GMOs, it will run Windows mobile.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Honestly I think it might be too big, despite me thinking a 6" 1080p phone would be badass. I would have to see it but it looks tad too large like the LG Intuition (which is more than a tad too large I think)

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
OMG when are the phone manufacturers going to draw a line regarding the screen size of the phone??

It's like reaching a point of no return. Whatever happened to the emphasis on the portability of a mobile phone? :confused:

Blame it on Samsung.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
When a reputable company like samsung, htc, motorola, or even lg make a product this size then its worth noting. Huawei is not a company that makes high end devices.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
OMG when are the phone manufacturers going to draw a line regarding the screen size of the phone??

When people stop buying them?

As for the size limit:

Limit 1: size of a hand:

If a device can be comfortably held in the palm of one hand and gripped by opposite edges then it doesn't need a wide bezel. You can also hold it up to your ear to use it as a phone. Once a device gets too wide for that, you have to hold it by a corner or one side, so you need a wider bezel to keep your thumb off the screen. So, at some point, either the screen size jumps down down or the overall size jumps up to accommodate the bezel... and you have a tablet. Once you're holding it by the bezel, using it as a phone becomes much more awkward.

I can quite comfortably hold a Note 2 by the edges. Move to something the size of a Kindle Keyboard (nearest thing I have to a 7" tablet size-wise) and its getting more comfortable to hold it by the bezel - and I have relatively large hands.

Limit 2: Size of a shirt pocket

The Note 2 fits into almost all of my shirt pockets - just. In an inside jacket pocket it fits comfortably and leaves room for a pen. Any bigger and it wouldn't. Once you have to carry it in a bag then you're better off with a tablet.

Conclusion: I don't think the Note 2 got to be the size it is by coincidence. Someone put some thought into how big you could make something and still have it usable as a phone. I think they could squeeze a 6" screen into the note if they dropped the physical buttons - but then most of the space you gained would be eaten up by the on-screen controls.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Can't see this on any major US carriers. As others have said, we'll have to wait for one of the other big manufacturers to make one that will likely end up being better.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
The note 2 is no way too big. Perfect size for me. Not sure about any bigger tho. The thing is samsung were the first and every1 laughed at first but then sold millions so all the other android manufacturers want to be the next "big" thing.

Eddie Bombay

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2011
Any phone that's bigger than the Samsung Galaxy s3 is a joke. The Samsung Galaxy S3 fits like a glove and I'm only 5'8. I went from the note to the Galaxy s3 to the note 2 and then went back to the galaxy s3. 4.8 inches is the sweet spot

----------

Galaxy S3 with Jelly Bean and the Premium Suite update coming out with the Photo Wizard from the Galaxy Camera is win for me.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
The note 2 is no way too big. Perfect size for me. Not sure about any bigger tho. The thing is samsung were the first and every1 laughed at first but then sold millions so all the other android manufacturers want to be the next "big" thing.

I thought the Dell Streak 5 was the first tablet/phone that came out in 2010.

Heard of it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.