Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Well, they've survived without Steve so far, so as long as they have a strong team and culture and vision intact, they'll survive without the others as well.

Ive is the most irreplaceable one, IMO.

Steve has been gone for a year. Nothing Apple has done thus far has been devoid of his influence. Not saying Apple is doomed without Steve, but we just haven't gone long enough to REALLY know what an Apple without Steve behind the helm is capable of (or not).

Intarweb

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2007
"Tim Cook has held the REINS" or "Tim Cook has held reign"

Sorry. Copy editor by trade.

They're not talking about his reign as king. They're talking about how he's holding the reins of the horses. The story is correct.

Jaymes

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2007
Thanks for the best laugh of the day. Great way to start.

I love the smell of incense in the morning and one trillion in the bank.

This exactly:

1) Companies exist to make a profit for their shareholders; this is particularly important in situations where the company is paying a dividend, like Apple is now doing. EVERYTHING else comes secondary to the bottom line.

2) Companies are not going to bring jobs back over to the USA just because "it feels good". There has to be an economic incentive to do so. Likely, they will either expect to take advantage of reduced transportation costs, faster product delivery to the consumer, increased PR, potential tax incentives, etc. I guarantee you Apple's accountants, economists, etc. have gone through domestic production of that one Mac line with a fine tooth comb and have found that in the long run, they will make more money; otherwise, it wouldn't be happening.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
It was a terrible, low balled interview.

Cook admits Maps is a disaster, but the interviewer doesn't do a followup question asking why Cook allowed it to be released given that. Cook says that Apple "loves" competition, but the interviewer doesn't mention anything about Apple's consistent anti-competitive behaviour.

Really poor, uninspiring stuff. This would be laughed at on British TV.

Yes yes of course. I'm sure talking about Kate's pregnancy and when the baby was concieved is much more interesting on British TV now.

Masterkona

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2012
Think about it like this. Were Tim Cook to give away anything more then a hint about what people think is coming, it would hurt the release. Tim Cook has a responsibility to investors. He realizes Apple is likely to become and remain the largest company in the world for some time. To ruin a surprise would hurt sales, and no-one wants that.

Apple is basically a country. He almost needs to speak as a politician. Apples annual earnings exceed the GDP of many countries and is still growing.

beegee675

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2012
NJ
There's a reason why we don't watch Brian Williams...

Unless it was the editing, Williams' love for hearing himself speak got in the way of getting to know Tim Cook...

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
He comes across very creepy. And a bit gay.

You make being gay sound like a bad thing. Sorry for making this a PRSI issue, but I don't see how being or even appearing gay affects business decisions. I'm straight, but I don't care if Tim's gay, straight, bi, Christian, Jewish, Muslim or what as long as he's a good person that makes Apple produce good products.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I was hoping for a little more depth in the interview. I don't think there was much substance there.

I don't turn to mainstream media for substance. As far as entertainment goes, it was an enjoyable interview. If Cook had been told he had to reveal Apple's future plans, I can guarantee he would have declined to be interviewed. So I knew that there would be nothing revelatory.

But it did show Cook as a confident, self-effacing and charming man who revered his mentor and happens to be running one of the most valuable companies in the world.

jmcrutch

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2010
Samsung Ad

During the swgment where Brian talked about Samsung's attack ads, they ran such a large portion of the actual add that I started to wonder if they HAD actually transitioned into a commercial ad slot. Either Samsung paid for the segment or they got an enormously large amount of free ad time at Apple's "expense."

brayhite

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
N. Kentucky
Yeah, shout out to Kentucky!

C-A-T-S, CATS CATS CATS!

Oh, and sweet... basically confirmation an Apple TV set will be out hopefully soon.

Born Again

macrumors 601
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Who cares. I want Apple to launch great products, and I don't care who does that or who coordinates it, as long as they get the job done in the best of ways.

Or would you prefer Miley Cyrus or Dave Grohl to be the CEO because they have more "entertainment value"?

U dont get it

Passion and charisma is what drove apple and Steve jobs

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
You make being gay sound like a bad thing. Sorry for making this a PRSI issue, but I don't see how being or even appearing gay affects business decisions. I'm straight, but I don't care if Tim's gay, straight, bi, Christian, Jewish, Muslim or what as long as he's a good person that makes Apple produce good products.

I made it two sentences in order to try and split appearing creepy (bad) from appearing gay (purely an observation based on his mannerisms).

considering he is gay...

Well then my observations were right.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Sadly, I cynically think it's obvious which Mac line will be made in the US: the Mac Pro.

It's the smallest-volume product, and the one most likely to be customized. Therefore the one that needs the least-automated configuration. Since they already do final assembly on some CTO Macs in the US, it only makes sense for this product to be the one made here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.