Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac21ND

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
Sadly, I cynically think it's obvious which Mac line will be made in the US: the Mac Pro.

It's the smallest-volume product, and the one most likely to be customized. Therefore the one that needs the least-automated configuration. Since they already do final assembly on some CTO Macs in the US, it only makes sense for this product to be the one made here.

Hopefully that would be for a new line of Mac Pro's, perhaps with a revised form factor.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I made it two sentences in order to try and split appearing creepy (bad) from appearing gay (purely an observation based on his mannerisms).

I'm sorry if I misunderstood how you characterize "gay". In my experience, when someone says "He seems a little gay," or "That's so gay," they mean it in a derogatory sense. So regardless of whether you said you said he was creepy or not, I've only heard the use of "gay" as an adjective in a derogatory sense. Plus, on message boards, compared to talking in real life, it's hard to tell inflection and so forth. Forgive me if I misunderstood.

Hopefully that would be for a new line of Mac Pro's, perhaps with a revised form factor.

For Mac Pros, I feel a little sad for them. It's like a little of a chicken and the egg thing. Apple doesn't update them frequently because it's low volume. It's low volume because Apple doesn't update them. Before anyone says it, I know, most people don't need the power of a Mac Pro, but I've seen quite a few posts on other threads that say "Why buy a Mac Pro when an iMac/MBP is just as powerful?"

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Wow so scripted.

Tim Cook hasn't offered anything new. He's on a strick course of setting good PR.

Watch the post interview with josh topolski of the verge. They pretty much agree that Tim cook was a robot

I like the verge site but the reviewers come across as the biggest bunch of hipster pretentious douchebags I have seen on the web. Josh in his tv show seems so smug that he has that gig I had to stop watching that show on the site or else I would stop going to the website overall.

EDIT

Thats not to say Tim wasn't a robot in the interview, it was always a PR mission nothing more nothing less.

Last edited:

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
I like the verge site but the reviewers come across as the biggest bunch of hipster pretentious douchebags I have seen on the web. Josh in his tv show seems so smug that he has that gig I had to stop watching that show on the site or else I would stop going to the website overall.

EDIT

Thats not to say Tim wasn't a robot in the interview, it was always a PR mission nothing more nothing less.

Of course, plus it looks like nbc has a contract with apple anyway seeing the amount of powerbooks, iPads that are used on their news channels.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I like the thought that they are thinking facetime on TV. Certainly as of right now you should be able to (with some software) throw the facetime picture from your iphone onto your TV through Apple TV. Add a camera to the monitor and you could shift a call from your phone (which you are expected to have on you at all times) to your TV. Not that folks really like to video chat all that much. But maybe they would on big screen TVs. Seeing a whole body picture (and lifesized in the case of my projector throwing onto a ten foot wide screen) for a facetime chat certainly does improve the experience of "certain" facetime chats.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland

You linked to yourself? Masterlinking.

----------

I felt the same way. Seriously. It's unfair to compare him to Jobs but we can still expect a certain amount from him. He left a lot to be desired.

You just can't get over that he's not jobs. I thought that it was great to see that Tim knows exactly what's important about Apple, which is the main thing. This ship is sailing just fine.

----------

Brian Williams had an iphone on his table in one of the shots during the interview. He had a case on it, which probably made Cook cringe.

Yeah, come on, it's not Apple sells loads of cases.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Sadly, I cynically think it's obvious which Mac line will be made in the US: the Mac Pro.

It's the smallest-volume product, and the one most likely to be customized. Therefore the one that needs the least-automated configuration. Since they already do final assembly on some CTO Macs in the US, it only makes sense for this product to be the one made here.

I agree that I think that is the line. But I don't think it is sad. The new Mac Pro is going to be THE MOST POWERFUL PC THE WORLD! And it will be made in America. It will be big, heavy and something of a luxury good for some of its buyers. That's not a bad thing for America to be making. It kind of makes sense on some level.

Also it will play well in the press. Apple's best computer and biggest product getting made here in the US.

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
Wow so scripted.

Tim Cook hasn't offered anything new. He's on a strick course of setting good PR.

Were you expecting him to spill all (or any) of Apple's secrets on TV? Why else do CEOs do interviews go on TV - it's always for PR.
I hope more products move from the slavery of china to the US and support our economy.

In general, American consumers have shown time and time again that they want to pay lower prices and they want their stuff made quickly. To do that, you must manufacture in China.

Now Mac Pro customers - they've shown they can wait, and they've shown they will pay a premium. The Mac Pro (or whatever its replacement is) is likely the model of Mac that will be manufactured in the US.

Don't look for US-made iPhones and iPads any time soon. The mobile market is too cutthroat to facilitate it.

Is Apple getting a bit desperate now having to go on NBC to get attention...?

Tim Cook is likely tired of hack journalists still asking "What would Steve do?" He went on TV to show the world that he is running Apple; not the ghost of Steve.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
Never liked him on the stage, but here he was better.

He isn't a Jobs. Its not fair to look at him like that. He hasn't got the ability to pull someone into anything. As the interview said, he's a business man. Jobs was a visionary turned business man.

A visionary turned businessman? What the hell is that supposed to mean? Jobs was an extremely creative businessman, who was a visionary. You can't separate both of those things with Jobs, he was both, from the start.

kristokn

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2008
San Francisco, CA
// Our whole role in life is to give you something you didn’t know you wanted. And then once you get it, you can’t imagine your life without it. And you can count on Apple doing that. //

Love that quote! ...and to everyone bitching about no "new news" - NBC has larger reach than MacRumors, what Tim said is actually new news to most of the US population

jdegid

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
I agree as well that the Mac Pro line will probably be made in the U.S. . Low volume, easy to build, and cheaper to ship the heavy product nationally.

As a business in manufacturing, the cost to move manufacturing to the U.S. is more then just a hourly wage increase. I know most people think that, it is just not the case. The taxes, EPA and local regulations put a huge amount of cost into the mix.

Then, if you actually have a company that succeeds the Unions will start looming.

We are not a business friendly country, manufacturing or otherwise. :(

It's a sad statement to say that we are not competitive and that we have a government that makes it so. Then this same government complains about the companies that use overseas outsourcing.

I would gladly build in America. Just make it so I don't go bankrupt and can make a profit. Ohh wait profit is a bad word

rtdunham

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
St. Petersburg, FL, Northern KY
He comes across very creepy. And a bit gay.

I didn't sense the former, and don't know what difference the latter would make. "...and a bit Southern." "...and a bit skinny."

I thought Cook did a good job. The people here whining because he didn't reveal the company's deepest secrets are naive. He put official words to some things that have merely been speculation; he spoke to the company's ideals; and he was relatable. That's about all we should hope for in a public appearance like this.

To the whiners: Tell me another CEO you've seen do better recently--and how and why--and maybe I'll better understand.

Last edited:

mrhick01

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
Exactly. Apple was able to revolutionize the music industry because they were able to get in on the ground floor of digital content.

TV is a whole different ball game. Without first run series or live sports (a HUGE money maker), it is going to be difficult to make inroads to the cable/satellite/network model. Networks have aggressively defended the concept of 'a la cart pricing' or individual channels. There is no way they are going to support for a model that relies on individual shows being purchased when there is a lot more money to be made selling network packages to advertisers.

At some point there may be a tipping point where a different model makes sense, but it's very hard to picture a model where Apple TV is going to have enough fresh content to make it viable alternative for most cable/satellite subsribers.

AppleTV now does have connections/relationship with MLB and the NBA, do they not?

I am an NBA fan, and my team is the Los Angeles Lakers. I have the NBA League Pass Broadband so that I can watch Laker games (and four other teams of my choosing) from Louisville, KY.

They would still need the NFL (that is the vital sports get), but aren't they getting there?

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Tim Cook is likely tired of hack journalists still asking "What would Steve do?" He went on TV to show the world that he is running Apple; not the ghost of Steve.
Well said.

I cringe every time they dredge up the "Steve this, or Steve that" dialog. Let it go! The guy is _dead_.

Like it or not, we live in the present, returning to the past with hero worship, gushing over Mr Wonderful is time wasted.

Not to mention the disrespect for Cook who is a very intelligent, measured & accomplished executive in his own right. Give the man a break!

At this juncture I feel very good with Cook at the helm. The recent restructuring bodes well for Apple. Moving into 2013, Apple is well positioned for even greater success.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
too bad people keep comparing Cook to Jobs.

Communication, carisma and style is not one of his core strengths. But for sure Steve saw something on him that would keep Apple moving forward in his absence.

Have some faith on the guy, so for Apple has been doing very well and like or not Steve also failed on many levels too in the past, so Cook has the right to fail as well.

For one I think he can be a very good CEO and take the company to new heights.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Well said.

I cringe every time they dredge up the "Steve this, or Steve that" dialog. Let it go! The guy is _dead_.

Like it or not, we live in the present, returning to the past with hero worship, gushing over Mr Wonderful is time wasted.

Not to mention the disrespect for Cook who is a very intelligent, measured & accomplished executive in his own right. Give the man a break!

At this juncture I feel very good with Cook at the helm. The recent restructuring bodes well for Apple. Moving into 2013, Apple is well positioned for even greater success.

I agree. Steve was very visionary and a great sales person; to many people, Steve was Apple & Apple was Steve. However, as you mentioned, Steve's dead. Let's see what Tim can do.

Born Again

macrumors 68040
May 12, 2011
Norcal

EDIT

You should give the verge podcast a try. They're fun to listen to.

Do you think it was a successful pR campaign by Tim cook?

nazaar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
After watching this I actually like him.

All you haters can go back to your broom closets. He wasn't doing the interview to open up on all of Apples future plans.

Hopefully Apple can continue with being an innovative company and keep me coming back for more.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
AppleTV now does have connections/relationship with MLB and the NBA, do they not?

I am an NBA fan, and my team is the Los Angeles Lakers. I have the NBA League Pass Broadband so that I can watch Laker games (and four other teams of my choosing) from Louisville, KY.

They would still need the NFL (that is the vital sports get), but aren't they getting there?

Yeah, but League Pass doesn't allow you to watch your home team in your home town and you can't watch the national games, which are often the marquee matchups. It isn't really a great option unless you are living far from home (and better if your team is bad and not on national TV as much as the Lakers), so you are still pushed to sign up for a cable package.

Cable companies are holding pretty strong on this one. Getting much more than we have might be very hard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.