Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Shipping estimates for Apple's new 27-inch iMac models have been updated today to "January", marking the first time availability of the machines has been pushed back into 2013. Orders had previously been estimated at 3-4 weeks for shipping.

imac_27_january_shipping.jpg
The new "January" estimate may or may not represent a lengthening of lead times given that the previous 3-4 week window was already pushing into January, but at the very least it seems that Apple is introducing some uncertainty into future availability by simply stating a one-month window for new orders rather than measuring estimates in weeks.

Supplies of the new iMac have been tight since the machine's launch one week ago, and were already expected to be constrained into 2013. The bottleneck for Apple is said to be the new production process on the machine's display, which is laminated directly to the cover glass. The process is more troublesome for larger screens, making supplies of the 27-inch iMac more scarce than those for its 21.5-inch sibling.

Article Link: Apple Now Quoting 'January' Shipping Estimates for 27-Inch iMac

omenatarhuri

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
Oh ****. Missing the holiday season with these shenanigans... Should have sold the old model until they had some real inventory built and lines running for the new models.

Hakone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2011
Southern California
Configured mine last night w/ all the bells/whistles minus the super SSD, and it it estimated the shipment to 7-11 Jan.

I guess they don't have an option to display "4-5 weeks" :eek:

nonillogical

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
I tried to order mine on Friday, and realized my credit card had expired! I don't use it much. Waiting on my new one and will order asap, but it sucks that I missed my window that would have been likely delivery before 2013.

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
how can we be sure it is the new iMac we are ordering when it looks exactly the same from the front!!

I can't imagine what an unpleasant surprise that can be...

Cisco_Kid

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2005
British Columbia
Assembled in the USA is already showing its ugly head, delay launch is step one, over budget will be next followed by quality control problems.

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
Can't wait to own one! They're beautiful.

Agreed! Went out to local Best Buy and it is a splendid piece of design. Good job Sir Jonathan. I was surprised that it didn't feel hot anywhere after my toying with it for a spell and the fact the display model is always on, running that promo on its screen!

I wouldn't worry about missed holiday. The demand for these suckers is built in due to the fact that they are over 550 days from a true refresh model. I can't wait for the 27" model to arrive at my doorstep! :)

When it does Apple, all will be forgiven! :D :apple:
/
/
/

joesegh

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
Now the real question: when will they be available for shipping to Apple Stores?

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Wow things are looking better for that macrumours member who bought 3 of them. Two to his kids and one for himself.

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
BTO through an authorized reseller takes 4-6 weeks so this is fine by me. :D

Looking forward to a great mid-January birthday gift! :cool:

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Oh ****. Missing the holiday season with these shenanigans... Should have sold the old model until they had some real inventory built and lines running for the new models.

The 27 is more of a prosumer model so the holiday isn't as much of a concern. And this says nothing about when they will arrive in stores. This is only for the limited quantity online channel

----------

Assembled in the USA is already showing its ugly head, delay launch is step one, over budget will be next followed by quality control problems.

What launch delay? This has nothing to do with the launch in stores. Which we did not get a set date for. They could arrive Dec 31 and the 'in December' is still not a delay since that is when they said the units would START shipping, not when they promised everyone that wants one will get it.

aquaboy

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2011
UK
So this effects people like me who ordered in the first hour of them going on sale? Noooooooo I want to cry!

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
how can we be sure it is the new iMac we are ordering when it looks exactly the same from the front!!

I can't imagine what an unpleasant surprise that can be...

Oh come on...:rolleyes:

----------

There's zero proof the first shipments are made in the USA.

Lou3000

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2011
January?

Well, November meant the last day of the month, so I wonder if this means shipping has slipped to 6-8 weeks and "January" just sounds better.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA

The article says Asian companies are having a hard time making those groovy thin screens.

Could they be made faster in the US? In BC? Well, not in BC obviously...

It is extremely unlikely that iMacs are actually made in the US! Maybe some options are attached at a distribution center. It is possible that components for Mac Pros could be stuffed into the case someplace. What would that take, an hour? And it could be done in any building or my garage for that matter...

The UK online store still quotes 3 - 4 weeks, though adding in BTO options will likely defer that window a week or so.

Bricks and mortar stores (in the UK at least) will stock the higher-end 27" model with 1.128TB Fusion drive as well as the standard 1TB HDD. Lower-end 27" models only with standard 1TB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.