Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pixelchild

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
hi. not sure if this option is hidden or i can't find it. i can't swipe to delete, only archive. thanks.

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
hi. not sure if this option is hidden or i can't find it. i can't swipe to delete, only archive. thanks.

I think Google wants to emphasize the idea that you don't need to delete anything and are thus offering Archive as a swipe action instead. Placing the delete option in a toolbar that appears at the bottom of the screen when checking off the boxes next to the messages doesn't seem like much of a hassle to me anyway.

beruo

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2011
It is a hidden option, and one that took me a LONG time to figure (but i'm slow like that). Go to Setting > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Gmail > then toggle Archive Messages to off. That replaces the Archive button with the trash can that used to be there and allows you to swipe to delete. HTH.

edit: nevermind. i skipped over the whole "new gmail app" part...that was in the title. all this is for the native mail app. my bad.

Last edited:

andyACEcandy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2008
This has been very frustrating. Such a small detail but swiping to delete is so much easier than getting my finger all the way to the top to press the trash can to delete. With the bigger phone, this is definitely one of those annoying problems to have (getting your finger to the top).

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This has been very frustrating. Such a small detail but swiping to delete is so much easier than getting my finger all the way to the top to press the trash can to delete. With the bigger phone, this is definitely one of those annoying problems to have (getting your finger to the top).
You can double-tap (not press but just tap) the home button to bring the top part of the screen closer down. Still extra work of course, but perhaps something helpful nonetheless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.