Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Hey everyone,

I am on my 4th iPhone 5 now, each one has developed an issue about 2 weeks in where the home button becomes loose, and can be wobbled and make a click (a small, annoying click on one side of the button) before the full pressed click.

I've kept each one in a case, and they haven't been dropped (the one I have now has a small nick on top). I had a 4S before this and an iPod touch before that and never had a home buttom problem.

Each time I've brought the phone in and was told they can't fix them yet, so they've replaced them. After the last replacement, they told me it was my last one and they would not replace it again.

So of course, it has happened again and I don't know what to do. Do Apple Stores have the ability to do home button repair yet? If not, how long do you think till they do? I understand they must think I'm scamming them or something for replacements, but each time I ask if they can just fix it and they always say no..It bothers me they won't replace it again since they can't fix it.

Last edited:

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
Hey everyone,

I am on my 4th iPhone 5 now, each one has developed an issue about 2 weeks in where the home button becomes loose, and can be wobbled and make a click (a small, annoying click on one side of the button) before the full pressed click.

I've kept each one in a case, and they haven't been dropped (the one I have now has a small nick on top). I had a 4S before this and an iPod touch before that and never had a home buttom problem.

Each time I've brought the phone in and was told they can't fix them yet, so they've replaced them. After the last replacement, they told me it was my last one and they would not replace it again.

So of course, it has happened again and I don't know what to do. Do Apple Stores have the ability to do home button repair yet? If not, how long do you think till they do? I understand they must think I'm scamming them or something for replacements, but each time I ask if they can just fix it and they always say no..It bothers me they won't replace it again since they can't fix it.

I'd ask to speak to a supervisor or manager. Since they've replaced your other ones for the same thing, they've set a precedent that the issue qualifies for replacement under the standard 1 year limited warranty. Considering this, I don't think they can legitimately say you're out of replacements. That would be like saying that the first three had the warranty but the fourth did not. To my knowledge, they all come with the warranty, newly purchased or replaced, and Apple has to abide by it.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I'd ask to speak to a supervisor or manager. Since they've replaced your other ones for the same thing, they've set a precedent that the issue qualifies for replacement under the standard 1 year limited warranty. Considering this, I don't think they can legitimately say you're out of replacements. That would be like saying that the first three had the warranty but the fourth did not. To my knowledge, they all come with the warranty, newly purchased or replaced, and Apple has to abide by it.

It sounds normal. Since Apples quality control has declined, these types of things are routine.

Thanks guys, I will take it in next week or this weekend if the problem persists.

The first few times I took it in, the employees were very friendly and understanding.

The last time I took it in, the Genius I got told me it was probably a Software isssue and that a restore should fix it. It took me about 20 minutes to convince him otherwise and he then told me (and marked in my file) that it would be my last replacement..

I wish they could just fix it and not replace it, it's annoying to have to keep restoring my phone from backups..

Last edited:

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
If you can't get anywhere with the store, call Apple. They would more than likely send you a new one and maybe a free case or accessory to boot.

I was sent the wrong capacity iPhone 5. Not only did they replace it, they're sending me an iPod nano for my troubles.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Thanks for the input!

Is there anything I could be doing to cause this? When it happend with the first few, I thought it might be the case so I bought a new kind of case..but now it's happening again. I'm very gentle when using the phone, I don't mash down the home button or anything..

The last Genius I spoke to (the rude one who said it was probably software and told me it would be my last replacement) said I must be doing something to have 4 in a row with this problem. But as I said, I had an iPod touch and iPhone 4S for a long time and neither had any issue..

alexander25

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2012
i had this problem with my previous iPhone 5, but have since gotten it replaced.

all good now.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Yeah I've had it replaced 3 times now, and each has had the issue..having it again with my most recent replacement..

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
have you conisdered that maybe it's not the phone but the user?

Or perhaps it's a trait of the improved home button?

I can't imagine getting 4 phones with the SAME problem...

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
have you conisdered that maybe it's not the phone but the user?

Or perhaps it's a trait of the improved home button?

I can't imagine getting 4 phones with the SAME problem...

Yes I have, I wish this thread could be merged with the one in the iPhone help subforum..I've touched on that topic.

I have had an iPod Touch and an iPhone 4S for a few years, and have never had a home button issue. I always have a case on my phones, I don't drop them, I don't press hard on the home button, I've never spilt anything on it. I am very careful with my phones and have been especially careful with each replacement, especially regarding the home button.

And yet the issue persists. It's driving me insane. I have modified my use of the phone to touch the home button as little as possible, and when I do touch it it is very gently. It's getting to be such a nuissance to waste time going to the store and then having to restore my phone AGAIN and AGAIN from my backups because they've replaced it..

I wish they could just fix it instead of replacing it, but as of now they say they have no way to just repair it.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Yeah, but what I'm saying is that they've re-designed the home button for the iPhone 5. It's supposed to now be more durable. So previous "home button" experiences are irrelevant.

I can tell you that my one-year-old 4s (that's now my wifes) has a different feel to the home button.

On my 5, if I press slow and to the side, it doesn't click at all. It registers on the phone, but no click.

All of them that I've seen have the same behavior. I'm still not convinced it's the phone but rather just your expectations.

----------

... for what it's worth, I don't notice any play in the home button on mine. I feel like the first one I had (sent back for different reasons) sort of did... but nothing worth replacing or fretting over.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Yeah, but what I'm saying is that they've re-designed the home button for the iPhone 5. It's supposed to now be more durable. So previous "home button" experiences are irrelevant.

I can tell you that my one-year-old 4s (that's now my wifes) has a different feel to the home button.

On my 5, if I press slow and to the side, it doesn't click at all. It registers on the phone, but no click.

All of them that I've seen have the same behavior. I'm still not convinced it's the phone but rather just your expectations.

----------

... for what it's worth, I don't notice any play in the home button on mine. I feel like the first one I had (sent back for different reasons) sort of did... but nothing worth replacing or fretting over.

I understand what you're saying and appreciate your input, I feel the error is in my description of the issues I've been having.

The issue that comes up (about 2 weeks after I've gotten each phone) almost feels like a loose home button (still not a great description). The button will click when pressed lightly (this time mainly on the right side of the button), but it's not the full, functional click that wakes the phone or sends me to my home screen. For that, I need to press down fully, as is normal.

But this other "click" occurs when lightly pressing the button, and also when I do do the full press. When trying to use the home button as normal. I get a "click" (both in sound and in feel) before fully pressing the button down and getting the real click that is supposed to be there and is part of the phone's normal functioning.

I have friends that have iPhone 5s (two since launch week, like mine) and there phones do not do this, even after all of these months. The genius' I took my original phone and first few replacements to immediately recognized what I was talking about as a problem and not normal action of the home button and issue replacements right on the spot.

As I said, I am not using the phone irregularly, and to touch on what you said about the home button mechanism being more sturdy and different from previous phones - I know about this and it's why I'm even more baffled by what I'm experiencing!

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
I think they are all pretty much the same. If you play with the home button anyone can get a similar reaction. Push slowly down on the edge and you can get a double press response or even no response. But why??

Can't you just use it normally? What are you really expecting?? :confused:

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Ahh, I see now. Yes, that sounds a bit irregular. I wonder if there was just a bad batch of component parts or something. If I were you, I would:

1. Wait a bit longer before you go back for a replacement (perhaps the "bad" home buttons will have cycled thru or they'll be capable of fixing it at that time)

or

2. Deal with a replacement through the 800 number.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I think they are all pretty much the same. If you play with the home button anyone can get a similar reaction. Push slowly down on the edge and you can get a double press response or even no response. But why??

Can't you just use it normally? What are you really expecting?? :confused:

Trust me, not what I'm talking about. I have played with the home buttons of at least 30 different iPhone 5s (friends, and in-store), and none do what I'm experiencing. It happens now even when pressing the home button normally. It is definitely an issue as 3 different genius' recognized it as not normal and replaced it on the spot.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Ahh, I see now. Yes, that sounds a bit irregular. I wonder if there was just a bad batch of component parts or something. If I were you, I would:

1. Wait a bit longer before you go back for a replacement (perhaps the "bad" home buttons will have cycled thru or they'll be capable of fixing it at that time)

or

2. Deal with a replacement through the 800 number.

Thanks for the reply, glad I was able to explain it a little more clearly.

I am probably going to hold onto it for a bit longer. I wish the Apple Store was capable of just fixing it as I don't really want to deal with getting another replacement.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I got my iphone 5 on the first day of launch and within a few weeks my lock switch stopped working. I think you got 1 from a bad batch. Apple store should replace the button because it is easy to replace. If they don't want to fix it try this link http://irepairseattle.com

Both Apple Stores I have gone to told me they don't have the necessary parts and equipment to do any repairs to the home button. So frustrating.

matteo78

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2011
For what its worth, my iphone 5 home button has a slight wiggle to it, but it doesnt have the 'clicking' problem you're experiencing. If i place my thumb on home button, i can make it slightly wiggle up and down, but nothing that a non ocd person would even notice. I tested my wife's, and she has same issue. My iphone 4 that i had for over 2 years had same problem, yet never worsened or affected functionality of the phone. I really dont think its worth taking it back again because your next replacement could have a worse kind of defect, or simply another minor annoying problem.

jutte64

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2009
Fort Recovery , OH
i just did a search for loose home buttons and came across this post. I just noticed today that my home button wasn't lined up correctly. The bottom of the box on the home button was not parallel with the bottom of my phone. After I got to looking at it I realized I could turn the button and line it up and then turn it some more and it was out of alignment the other way. Small issue I know, I'm not going to run out and have it replace right now, plus the nearest apple store is 2+ hours away. Was just curious if anyone else has noticed this issue as well?

tlynch4

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2013
Same problem here

In defense of Tyler23, I would like to add my 2 cents.

I had an iPhone 3 for 3 years. No problems. My wife had an iPhone 4 for the past 2 years. No problems.

We each got an iPhone 5 (32GB) on the same day recently. We both had to have our SIM cards replaced within two weeks (suddenly no service) and now my phone is having a problem with the home button (the reason I found this thread). The "click" is weird and sometimes I have to click the button twice to get it to do anything. The home button also feels and sounds totally different from the home button on my wife's identical phone.

Like Tyler23, I am obviously very familiar with iphone home buttons and - like Tyler23 - I take good care of my phones or my last one certainly wouldn't have been problem-free for 3 years.

So, let's stop the comments about "what are your expectations" and "maybe it's the user, not the phone". Perhaps that time would be better spent calling your broker to sell your Apple stock because Steve Jobs is no longer around to enforce quality control.
------------------
Update: Yesterday, I took my phone to the nearest Apple store (40 miles away). Unlike Tyler23's experience of having to get a replacement phone, they told me they could replace the home button on my phone and they did it in about 15 minutes. Works like a charm again. Hope this one lasts...

Last edited:

BATTLEFIELD3guy

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2013
i just did a search for loose home buttons and came across this post. I just noticed today that my home button wasn't lined up correctly. The bottom of the box on the home button was not parallel with the bottom of my phone. After I got to looking at it I realized I could turn the button and line it up and then turn it some more and it was out of alignment the other way. Small issue I know, I'm not going to run out and have it replace right now, plus the nearest apple store is 2+ hours away. Was just curious if anyone else has noticed this issue as well?
This happens to me right now, the button feels not aligned and loose! So this is f@#%ng frustrating! #

bglover

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2013
Seattle
I had the same issue with mine. I ended up taking it into an Apple store and they guy at the genius bar just replaced my device. At the time, he said he hadn't seen this happen too often, however he also said there were definitely a few other customers here and there with the same issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.