Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Has AT&T changed policy and now tethering with iPad 3?

I read Verizon does, but not find anything for AT&T

Thanks.

i7QuadCoreMania

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2009
no they have not for regular plans, although if you are on a mobile share plan like I am the tether can be enabled, I've tried it on my iphone 5 and it works fine.

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
no they have not for regular plans, although if you are on a mobile share plan like I am the tether can be enabled, I've tried it on my iphone 5 and it works fine.

This. The mobile share plan is actually a good deal if you have a couple iPads on it since they are only $10 a piece and can tether...

Just don't change your plan at the beginning of a billing cycle or your next bill will include your regular charges AND the new plan charges...the regular plan charges are supposed to be deducted from my next bill, though. A $360 cell phone bill when it should be $233 was pretty shocking...haha.

guitarmandp

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Unless you are very wealthy and have tons of disposable income why would anybody pay $10 a month to add a tablet to their plan (on top of spending an addition $130 for the cellular version of their tablet) when you can just hotspot it?

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Unless you are very wealthy and have tons of disposable income why would anybody pay $10 a month to add a tablet to their plan (on top of spending an addition $130 for the cellular version of their tablet) when you can just hotspot it?

Not everyone has a hotspot plan on their mobile. Right now, my data plan is $15 but hotspot would be $45. Others have unlimited data plans that don't offer hotspot. Etc etc. Additionally, hot spot takes a lot of battery on the iPhone.

guitarmandp

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Not everyone has a hotspot plan on their mobile. Right now, my data plan is $15 but hotspot would be $45. Others have unlimited data plans that don't offer hotspot. Etc etc. Additionally, hot spot takes a lot of battery on the iPhone.

Maybe I'm mistaken. I thought somebody posted in this thread, that a shared data plan includes a hotspot.

I am using a jailbroken iPhone 4S so I just use tetherme. I understand that not everybody wants to jailbreak their phone though.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Plans that are $50 and up (not unlimited) have tethering. You dont have to use mobileshare.

It works just fine with my 5GB LTE plan on the mini. If not working on your device, do a chat with AT&T and they will turn it on.

AdrianT

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2009
Plans that are $50 and up (not unlimited) have tethering.

So to confirm, the $30/3GB Dataconnect pass doesnt have tethering but the $50/5GB plan does? Can this be activated on the iPad mini itself or do I have to go to a store? I'm travelling to the US and already have an AT&T sim

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Correct.

No need to go to store. The folks on Att's chat can do it if its not active on your account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.