Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KiranB

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2012
Birmingham UK
Got my ipad 4 LTE two weeks ago, and since that day I haven't even used by MacBook it has been well and truly neglected ... The ipad is amazing and does everything plus more .. Are any of you finding that you use your ipad more than your laptop or desktop? :rolleyes:

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Congratulations.

What about typing and editing word docs and powerpoint slides? :confused:

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I do. I only use my MBA when I need to do something the iPad can't do, like rip a DVD, run Quicken for Windows, update the firmware on one of my gadgets, etc. But 90% of my usage is all iPad, including minor edits to my websites (with Gusto), email, browsing, light gaming, watching all 7 seasons of Star Trek Voyager through Amazon instant video, and much more.

KiranB

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2012
Birmingham UK
Congratulations.

I got an app called documents it was a free app .. It does word docs and spreadsheets which is all I pretty much use.. However there is the iWorks package which may be useful for you? ... I used to use my macbook to stream Alot of tv shows however I now use the puffin browser on the ipad to watch these flash videos! :)

GraphicsGeek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2008
I immediately sold my 17" MacBook Pro when I got an iPad and replaced it with an iMac. The only reason I have a regular computer is because I am a freelance graphic designer. So my iMac handles all of the heavy work while my iPad mini is for everything else.

How do you download torrent files?

I dload torrents from my iPad using uTorrent on my iMac. I set it up to watch a specific DropBox folder for .torrent files. On my iPad when I download a torrent I save it to that DropBox folder and uTorrent on my iMac sees it in that folder and begins downloading it.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
iPad is great, but when it comes to the use of really heavy applications, computer programs, and games - laptops and desktops are irreplaceable. I also prefer typing long documents on my laptop and even more so on my desktop - although, I don't have an attachable keyboard for my iPad.

MacIke

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2003
The Frigid Wasteland of MN
Congratulations.

I have stopped (for the most part) using my Mac Book Pro for the most part in favor of my iPad 1.

I use my computer for DVD conversions, making keynotes, and holding music, apps, movies, and TV shows for my iPad and iPhone. I do the majority of my writing on my iPad with a keyboard.

Keynotes (powerpoints) are the real problem.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
Since getting my iPad, I do find myself using my MBP significantly less than before. My MBP is essentially my portable desktop which houses all my files. I do my work on my MBP as well as any photo editing and such on it. For the casual web browsing/gaming/screwing around, iPad has taken pole position in that aspect. I'm starting to use my iPad more for entertainment purposes like watching Hulu, NBC app, YouTube etc which has become quite addicting to say the least. Now that I have an iPad, don't think I'll be without one in the future. This thing is just way too useful/fun to pass up :D

token787

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2012
I bought my Ipad 4 in November and have not once used my MacBook Pro. I will take my IPad everywhere with me before I take my purse. :D roflol

trvsglr

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2009
Got my ipad 4 LTE two weeks ago, and since that day I haven't even used by MacBook it has been well and truly neglected ... The ipad is amazing and does everything plus more .. Are any of you finding that you use your ipad more than your laptop or desktop? :rolleyes:

When I bought my first iPad I used it so much, I got rid of my laptop. I still have my desktop, I pretty much just use that for back ups of my IOS devices.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I still use my laptop for downloading movies via utorrents. But thats all it is for.

Other tasks, i use Ipad. Wouldn't call it a replacement because i still prefer using optic mouse for navigating browser.

Ipad 65/ Laptop 35

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
I bought MBA instead of rMBP and instead of waiting for new iMac because the iPad2 had reduced use of computers to roughly half the time.

Now have ipad4, love it, the screen and everything else, use it for everything it can do, computers for the rest.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
I only use my MB to DJ with and update my apps. Besides that, it's iPad for everything else. I'm actually ordering an iPad 4 LTE next week.

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
My galaxy note 2 replaced my iPhone 4S/5 and my N7, iPad 4 replaced my ipad3, and the mini... Well I just can't get used to the screen ><

jomirrivera

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2011
I immediately sold my 17" MacBook Pro when I got an iPad and replaced it with an iMac. The only reason I have a regular computer is because I am a freelance graphic designer. So my iMac handles all of the heavy work while my iPad mini is for everything else.

I dload torrents from my iPad using uTorrent on my iMac. I set it up to watch a specific DropBox folder for .torrent files. On my iPad when I download a torrent I save it to that DropBox folder and uTorrent on my iMac sees it in that folder and begins downloading it.

I want to do this, how do I setup uTorrent to do that?:confused:

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space
In combination of Dropbox and Google Drive i can do all my papers and assignments on my iPad with a Bluetooth keyboard and my iPad tilted up with the smart cover.

I also record all lectures encase i missed any key things. All my classes also have PDF/ powerpoints that can be downloaded off their servers.

GraphicsGeek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2008
I want to do this, how do I setup uTorrent to do that?:confused:

Look in the preferences for uTorrent. I'm not on my home computer or else I'd screen cap it for you. When you find it, set the watch folder for a folder in your DropBox (must have a DropBox account).

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
While I had my Macbook Pro in for repairs, I was using my Powerbook G4 and iPad. Although the iPad was faster than my PB, I wished I had my MBP. The PB was slow when viewing videos online. The iPad battery life sucks. For some reason I'm getting 5hrs. Then, you can't charge while using. On a MacBook you can. Uploading movies or videos can't on iPad. I mean you can, but if you have large files, you might as well get a Macbook.

Quick surfing was okay on the iPad... but for long use and for researching or editing I prefer Macbook. Also, youtube on an iPad sucks.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
my iPad 3, 64GB LTE w/ iOS 5.1.1 and jailbreak + Kensington BT Keyboard Case + Microsoft 5000 BT Mouse has replaced my laptop for nearly everything outside of the house

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.