Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boob

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
I'm guessing:

A7 Quad core processor
Newer display
2GB Ram
Better camera
Better battery

I'm kinda hoping for a new design as well

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Indestructible

Weapons Grade Lasers

Plays PS3 Games

Is "Innovative"

Has More GeeBees

Boob

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
You're hoping for a miracle.

Why's that? Lots of phones are now moving to quad cores. Before when Android had dual core phones out, some people doubted the possibility of a dual core iPhone. But it came with the 4s, and now the 5. Now quad core phones are making their way on the market - phones like the Note 2, Nexus 4, DNA. I'm betting next year's iPhone will have a quad core processor and perhaps GPU. Coupe that with LTE and double the ram and we have one hell of an insanely fast iPhone.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
I'm guessing:

A7 Quad core processor
Newer display
2GB Ram
Better camera
Better battery

I'm kinda hoping for a new design as well

You will not see an A7 Quad Core. iPhone 5S no... iPhone 6 probably
You will not see a newer display
You will not see 2 GB of Ram
You will not see a new design...Period.... for a good while

You may see a slightly better camera
You may see a slightly better overall battery

Boob

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
You will not see an A7 Quad Core.
You will not see a newer display
You will not see 2 GB of Ram
You will not see a new design...Period.... for a good while

You may see a slightly better camera
You may see a slightly better overall battery

And how do you know? Oh that's right. You don't.

They may not call it A7 but I'm betting we'll see a quad core chip in it. People said the same thing about the 4s but it was dual core. And we most likely will see 2 gigs of ram. They've been updating the ram for years now. iPhone 4 = 256MB, 4S = 512MB, 5 = 1GB, Next iPhone = 2GB

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011

They may not call it A7 but I'm betting we'll see a quad core chip in it. People said the same thing about the 4s but it was dual core. And we most likely will see 2 gigs of ram. They've been updating the ram for years now. iPhone 4 = 256MB, 4S = 512MB, 5 = 1GB, Next iPhone = 2GB

What about:

A 12" Subwoofer
12 GeeBees of RAMS
A bigger chip (preferably chocolate)

And my favorite: An etching into the aluminuum of a monkey urinating on the Android robot while flipping the bird!

I would buy like, 70, but only if they do the monkey etching... It'd be INNOVATIVE! And I'd use the etching more than I'd use NFC :D

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY

iphone 4 was actually 512mn of ram, same as 4S

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009

You have high hopes but the truth is that the poster you quoted is more likely correct.

Apple just updated the physical design from a 2+ year old design. Why do you expect a redesign again? Maybe they will use different material so that the iPhone's coating won't chip.

It's hard for a company that's focused on minimalism to constantly redesign a phone. At some point, you will only have the bare essentials.

Also, based off history, here is what you can realistic expect:
+Improved iSight Camera (this is a given since they used the same one for 2 generations)
+Improved Processor
+New wireless tech (maybe NFC)?

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Why's that? Lots of phones are now moving to quad cores. Before when Android had dual core phones out, some people doubted the possibility of a dual core iPhone. But it came with the 4s, and now the 5. Now quad core phones are making their way on the market - phones like the Note 2, Nexus 4, DNA. I'm betting next year's iPhone will have a quad core processor and perhaps GPU. Coupe that with LTE and double the ram and we have one hell of an insanely fast iPhone.

The issue isn't "Can it be done" or even "Will it be done" - it's "Why would it be done?"

The iP5 (with A6 in tow) is on par power wise with the big players you mentioned....and it's only sporting a measly dual core processor. People get hung up on this stuff too much.

How about this - the next iPhone will sport a Geekbench score of about 3000 (roughly double the iP5 depending on your particular score), give you a bit better battery life, possibly IGZO, and some unknown iP5S only feature. And if they can do that with a dual core processor, they will. Whatever is in the phone will be finely tuned to the right balance of performance and efficiency. Quad core processors in phones are flashy, though not generally efficient (or necessary).

And of course, Jony Ive's iOS7 ;) which is what I personally am excited about.

Boob

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
You have high hopes but the truth is that the poster you quoted is more likely correct.

Apple just updated the physical design from a 2+ year old design. Why do you expect a redesign again? Maybe they will use different material so that the iPhone's coating won't chip.

It's hard for a company that's focused on minimalism to constantly redesign a phone. At some point, you will only have the bare essentials.

Also, based off history, here is what you can realistic expect:
+Improved iSight Camera (this is a given since they used the same one for 2 generations)
+Improved Processor
+New wireless tech (maybe NFC)?
I figured they'd tweak the design since there's a flaw with it. Chipping should not be happening. If the material they're using for the 5 isn't of good quality they should just go back to the glass/steel body of the 4/4s.

Even though I'm content with 3G, the main reason for me to upgrade to the next one would be for LTE speeds. Of course I'd like a faster processor with that. And that'll come for $200 on contract.

S

syd430

An extra .5" in screen height, hopefully.

Last edited by a moderator:

mobiletech

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2010
Quad core is actually quite feasible since two A6 would compete without a redesign.

For the iPhone 6 I could see the the CPU and GPU on the same chip to further Shrinking of the design.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
Bumped up specs not much else

Better camera
Still 1gb ram
Higher speed processor but not quad core
Better battery life

Maybe NFC?

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
15gb of ram
15 core A10 processor
30 mp camera
wider screen
new new charging port called strike
redesigned headphone port
bendable
unbreakable
never scuffs
made from diamonds

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
-Slightly improved camera+features
-Twice the speeed! Safari will be even snappier!
-Slightly improved Siri and Maps
-"exclusive" feature that could probably work on the 3GS but will on be supported by this device and the 5
-Another useless app that you can't remove (see: newsstand and passbook)
-Exact same design
-Name: 5S ( S for [unneeded] speed or scuffree)
(I realize some of these are software based, but they release the new ios with the new iphone, which ships with it, so...)

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
I actually think a quad-core chip is possible. Just think about it: the current A6 chip with dual-core "Swift architecture" CPU competes with quad-core "Cortex A9 architecture" CPUs.

Next year, all they'd have to do is to double the amount of cores and than they've got a really powerful quad-core variant that can compete with Cortex A15. Also, if they upgrade the GPU to the iPad 4's GPU architecture than we'll see improvements there as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.