Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmw16

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2011
I have a mid-2011 27" iMac. Specs are:

2.7Ghz i5
20GB RAM (probably sell with 16 for an even number)
1TB Hard Drive

Apple has this model refurb for $1439, but I've seen 1 or 2 on eBay go for over $1600. Might just be an isolated incident where people failed to price compare.

So realistically what is it worth? I'm asking because I'm thinking of getting a 13" Air and a Cinema Display to replace my desktop.

Thanks.

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2010
I have a mid-2011 27" iMac. Specs are:

2.7Ghz i5
20GB RAM (probably sell with 16 for an even number)
1TB Hard Drive

Apple has this model refurb for $1439, but I've seen 1 or 2 on eBay go for over $1600. Might just be an isolated incident where people failed to price compare.

So realistically what is it worth? I'm asking because I'm thinking of getting a 13" Air and a Cinema Display to replace my desktop.

Thanks.

I'm sure others will pipe in on where to check used prices, but my experience has been you have to be priced under the refurb prices to make it attractive (especially if it does not have AppleCare and the warranty is expired). If you have the time and patience, you can price it higher and see if anyone bites, but I usually price mine to sell and have pretty good luck getting things sold quickly.

Your other option is see if anyone wants to trade you an MBA, so I can see that costing about what you will ask (depending on specs). Otherwise, don't forget that iMac is still an external monitor for the MBA and might be worth keeping and just getting the MBA (I'm expecting you're going to spend around $2k on an MBA and Display).

dmw16

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2011
I'm sure others will pipe in on where to check used prices, but my experience has been you have to be priced under the refurb prices to make it attractive (especially if it does not have AppleCare and the warranty is expired). If you have the time and patience, you can price it higher and see if anyone bites, but I usually price mine to sell and have pretty good luck getting things sold quickly.

Your other option is see if anyone wants to trade you an MBA, so I can see that costing about what you will ask (depending on specs). Otherwise, don't forget that iMac is still an external monitor for the MBA and might be worth keeping and just getting the MBA (I'm expecting you're going to spend around $2k on an MBA and Display).

I would likely just put it on eBay. Rather than price it I just let the market decide what it's worth and set my reserve below the refurb price by some amount. If I get more great, if I don't then oh well. I was just trying to get a sense of the market for "selling the total cost after everything to the wife" reasons :D

As for cost I figured about $2300-$2400. I'd probably get a 13" w/ 8GB and then pick a CPU and then get a refurb monitor for $829. My wife is a teacher so at least we can get the discount on the Air.

I will look into using my iMac as monitor.

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2010
I would likely just put it on eBay. Rather than price it I just let the market decide what it's worth and set my reserve below the refurb price by some amount. If I get more great, if I don't then oh well. I was just trying to get a sense of the market for "selling the total cost after everything to the wife" reasons :D

As for cost I figured about $2300-$2400. I'd probably get a 13" w/ 8GB and then pick a CPU and then get a refurb monitor for $829. My wife is a teacher so at least we can get the discount on the Air.

I will look into using my iMac as monitor.

I tend to sell mine on Craigslist to avoid the extra fees, and I've been really fortunate to have had normal people looking to buy them over the years, but I know that's not how the majority of CL sales go.

The latest gen MBAs are in the refurb store, though getting a 13" with 8GB RAM usually costs you up in the $1800 as they only offer it with a 512GB SSD (if I recall). I considered selling my iMac and replacing with a Mac Mini and Display, but I just didn't find it to be the better deal in the end by losing a dedicated GPU. Instead, I'm waiting for a new 27" iMac and blowing a ton of money in the process.

dmw16

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2011
I tend to sell mine on Craigslist to avoid the extra fees, and I've been really fortunate to have had normal people looking to buy them over the years, but I know that's not how the majority of CL sales go.

The latest gen MBAs are in the refurb store, though getting a 13" with 8GB RAM usually costs you up in the $1800 as they only offer it with a 512GB SSD (if I recall). I considered selling my iMac and replacing with a Mac Mini and Display, but I just didn't find it to be the better deal in the end by losing a dedicated GPU. Instead, I'm waiting for a new 27" iMac and blowing a ton of money in the process.

I can build a 13" w/ 8GB for about $1400. 8GB was available on both versions of the 13", but if I want an i7 I'd need to get the 256GB upgrade 13" version.

dmw16

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2011
...losing a dedicated GPU. Instead, I'm waiting for a new 27" iMac and blowing a ton of money in the process.

Forgot about this. I think I'll keep the base model 2011 refurb I bought for $700 and just get another TB cable incase I need a monitor and just use my iMac in target display mode as required.

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2010
Forgot about this. I think I'll keep the base model 2011 refurb I bought for $700 and just get another TB cable incase I need a monitor and just use my iMac in target display mode as required.

Right on. Not to say that I don't also love that Thunderbolt Display and considered doing something similar myself, I just think at the end of the day having a full fledged iMac vs a screen really is the better setup (and would seem to save you some case as well). Leave that bad boy running all day encoding/transcoding media while you breeze along with the MBA on the side. (You can also forego target display mode altogether and just do screen sharing. Won't let you have two monitors, but its a simple, free option if you don't want to buy a Thunderbolt cable. I have three cables currently...)

And damn! You got that for $700?? That's less than the display alone! Well done!

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
In an ideal world....

I would say your computer can go up to $1400, tops. Things that sweeten the deal are a substantial amount of AppleCare still in the machine, no cosmetic/functional issues and good care, if applicable.

The refurb costs the price you mentioned with the extra RAM? For me,that would be a selling point for many people, not having to buy aftermarket and do the upgrade. But if this is the price with the RAM upgrade included, you must go lower than that. But I would say, no more than $100-150 lower IMHO

:):apple:

Last edited:

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011

Wow, how did you get one for 700? Awesome price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.