Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
I can confirm this one, I went to two apple stores here in Houston (Galleria and Willowbrook) I tried asking the rep if they sell AT&T iphone 5 device only without contract. He said they could but I am limited to buy only 2 units and I have to pay the full price each of $749 + tax 8.25% for 32 gig. No problem I said, I ended up getting it on Willowbrook branch after I was undecided initially at Galleria branch.
I could not wait for the unlocked Iphone 5 to come out officially and decided that if this is still locked to ATT network I can always return it back and wait for the unlocked one.
Hooked it to Itunes and after restoring it got the UNLOCKED message. Placed my tmobile nano sim and it worked... Still on EDGE though but patiently awaiting for tmobiles refarm..

North side of houston have 3G now lol. I'm on 1960 and i45.

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
The genius said that I cannot buy "Device Only". Should I ask him that I want to buy full price? I am afraid buying full price will put me on AT&T's customer list which I want to avoid or keep it as a last option. I am currently a Tmo customer.

I guess it depends of the store, in some areas they don't want to sell it to you but in other ones they will sell it if they have available. FWIW, both iPhones I talked about were bought in TX, one in Plano and one in houston

SenseiPhone

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
The big question is does at&t unlock my iPhone when I pay them ETF?

All of your feedback will help me to pick or not the currently reserved iPhone on my name.
Fingers crossed..

Yes if you use "factory unlock service".

jokemjokester

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2009
why not just buy an ATT from craigs? I'm sure theres a ton of people who are flipping their newly acquired iphone 5 just to have the extra cash. I'm sure you'll get some cheaper than retail then just unlock it yourself. It's a little extra work but I think it's worth saving a few bucks.

RotaryP7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2011
Miami, FL
AT&T off contract iPhone 5's are unlocked. I've had numerous people bring their 5's to TMO and they've said they have just walked in and bought an iPhone 5, full price and it comes unlocked. The AT&T version.

aznboi91

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2012
Hold up guys... why won't it work?

I bought a 32GB verizon one at the apple store contract free and they just told me to bring it home and restore it. But before I did any of that... I took out the verizon sim card while it was off, and booted it up. When I put my nano-sim from Tmo in there, it showed up in a few seconds.

Although my nano-sim has not been activated yet because I'm waiting for my case to arrive before I use it... and it is able to see it is T-Mobile and shows it at the top corner.... So is it already unlocked? Or just something else?

serkan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2012
Menlo Park,California
Iphone 5 shipping dates are now fallen to 1 week :) (Not in Europe)

Can we say that maybe after one week when the demand meets the supply and we can walk into a store and buy Iphones , can we able to buy the unlocked ones at Apple Store ? Maybe ?

serkan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2012
Menlo Park,California
Most likely.
Looks like it so far.

Finally I can order one online :) :)

Will it be ok to order online from another country and pay but the shipping adress different place ? I live in Turkey and want to buy one.I will order one online pay it and the bill will be for me but I want it tı shipped tı my friend living in US . Is it possible or could cause problems ?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Finally I can order one online :) :)

Will it be ok to order online from another country and pay but the shipping adress different place ? I live in Turkey and want to buy one.I will order one online pay it and the bill will be for me but I want it tı shipped tı my friend living in US . Is it possible or could cause problems ?

Nope.
Still you cannot order one unless you're a customer of AT&T or verizon.
They should have factory unlocked soon is my guess.

jts2

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2008
Now that the iPhone is sold unlocked, I am unable to reserve it online to be picked up from Apple store online. Do I have to give it a try at 10 P.M.?

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
I ordered last Friday and chose to pick it up at the local Apple store. I got an e-mail in an hour that the phone was ready for pick up. Choose the unlocked phone and after you add it to the cart you will see an option for store pick up. There was no need to "reserve" in my case. i just purchased and picked up at the local store.

Now that the iPhone is sold unlocked, I am unable to reserve it online to be picked up from Apple store online. Do I have to give it a try at 10 P.M.?

jts2

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2008
Yes. That is exactly what I am trying. Unlocked and pick up in store. It says unavailable in all the stores near by.

jts2

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2008
Tried it from 9.55 P.M. until 10.40 with no luck. Online apple store says not available in any of the stores.

Any other ideas?

jts2

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2008
Just want to use the Discover Cards 5% cash back as it is a big purchase item. This cash back is only valid for online shopping. Going through the apple online store and choosing the In Store pick will still be treated as online transaction by discover.

I ordered it on line and it will take 2 weeks for me to receive it. If I need it early, the only way is to reserve it online and pick it up from the store.

tejasm

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2011
Ordered one on 3rd, and received it today. As of now, the website shows just 1-3 days of shipping delay.

jts2

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2008
I tried last night around 8.30 P.M. and guess what, they were available instore for pick up through apple online store. Immediately ordered another one to be picked up in store. This morning when I woke up, I got an email saying that my online order has been shipped. So I will end up with two of them. May be I will try craigslist or amazon instead of returning one of them to the store

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.