Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
I was going to install MacKeeper from macupdate as I thought macupdate was a trusted website, but then I read from Apple website and numerous websites that installing MacKeeper should be avoided as it's Malware and then very hard to remove.

What's true?:eek:

Nov 28, 2010
located
Avoid it, there is no need for such ****** software. It is not malware per definition as far as I know, but it can harm your OS. Also look at the developer's tactics, advertising on shady websites to get you to download this *****.

You probably have already been linked to this, but maybe take a look at them again, especially the second one:

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search or MRoogle to find similar threads using "mackeeper" as search term while you wait for more answers:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Does this apply to CCleaner as well?:rolleyes:
Yes. You don't need to "maintain" your Mac and you don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well. Some of these apps can do more harm than good. Some can even degrade, rather than improve system performance.

Some remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process. These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space.

Some of these apps delete caches, which can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt. Caches exist to improve performance, so deleting them isn't advisable in most cases.

Many of the tasks performed by these apps should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention. You can use Maintidget to see the last time these scripts were run.

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
I have heard that removing languages or architectures can break the OS!
It's true. While you might gain a tiny bit of storage space by removing support for other languages or architectures, many times it's difficult to know what to keep. I've seen reports of people removing English support (obviously their primary language was not English) only to find other elements of the OS or applications required it.

Roadlawyer

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2012
So Now what

I used the free trial of MacKeeper, like a fool, and now I'm having constant problems with my computer hanging up on various websites. So what to I do to both to get my Mac running properly and to make sure I've completely deleted MacKeeper. I'm using Mountain Lion, should I reinstall it?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I used the free trial of MacKeeper, like a fool, and now I'm having constant problems with my computer hanging up on various websites. So what to I do to both to get my Mac running properly and to make sure I've completely deleted MacKeeper. I'm using Mountain Lion, should I reinstall it?
The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
I have heard that removing languages or architectures can break the OS!

I removed all languages using CCleaner, and it hasn't broken anything on my Imac that I can see.

Who said it can break the OS? Source and evidence, and does it occur universally or only in some cases, if so, why in some cases and not universally?

----------

I noticed something very intresting when I installed MacKeeper. I installed it and realised fairly quickly that MacKeeper is not something I should have on my iMac, so I decided to reboot into my Carbon Copy Cloner partition that was on my USB Hard drive, that was connected to my Imac, and when I rebooted into the CCC Clone, it had MacKeeper on it as well!!!!!:eek: So MacKeeper must have recognised the CCC clone attached to my Imac and copied itself across to the CCC clone copy!!!!:mad:

durruti

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2004
Jersey
yes.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
I removed all languages using CCleaner, and it hasn't broken anything on my Imac that I can see.

Who said it can break the OS? Source and evidence, and does it occur universally or only in some cases, if so, why in some cases and not universally?

----------

I noticed something very intresting when I installed MacKeeper. I installed it and realised fairly quickly that MacKeeper is not something I should have on my iMac, so I decided to reboot into my Carbon Copy Cloner partition that was on my USB Hard drive, that was connected to my Imac, and when I rebooted into the CCC Clone, it had MacKeeper on it as well!!!!!:eek: So MacKeeper must have recognised the CCC clone attached to my Imac and copied itself across to the CCC clone copy!!!!:mad:

The guys over at the Mac Geek Gab podcast. Someone hade used Monolingual.

Negritude

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
I was going to install MacKeeper from macupdate as I thought macupdate was a trusted website, but then I read from Apple website and numerous websites that installing MacKeeper should be avoided as it's Malware and then very hard to remove.

What's true?:eek:

I know this thread is old but I have to respond:

What kind of question is this? MacUpdate is a trusted web site, and if you had bothered to read the reviews of the product there, you would never have even considered installing it. MacUpdate is there to give people a space to share information about software, but that does not and has never implied any sort of endorsement for those apps. Just because you see it on MacUpdate doesn't mean it's good. It's just a directory.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
It's not malware, it's just a marketing money spinner for the naive and gullible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.