Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yourmother

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
Japan
Mercury pro. But try mercury to see if u like it.

Ad blocker, font resize ability, disable images option, import bookmarks from Chrome or firefox.

These features are perfect for me when I use my ipad mini at work or at home.

Edit: Oh also you can go full screen which is great for landscape and watching youtube on the browser

Last edited:

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Mercury Pro, but it does have one flaw. If your screen blanks when surfing in private mode, you lose everything - Mercury reverts to a blank page. That is taking security too far for me.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I installed mercury pro on my gf's mini. It was working fine but I just lost the keyboard looking to search in google to type out what I wanted? Where did the keyboard go?? :)

Back to safari!

Highboy90

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2012
NY
Weeks later using my Mini, I find myself using Mercury (bottom page "arrows" are nice) the most but also like Dolphin (bookmark tabs are more defined).

Like the previous poster, the keyboard does "vanish" on occassion. Not sure if it's me or not.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Can you use an alternate browser for tapatalk? It points to safari to view a forum.

And how do you save a forum you are interested in viewing in that app?

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2010
I've been using Chrome, but like what Mercury offers (bigger font).

Last edited:

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Found this as a way to increase font size in any browser window. Works fine on Safari....don't know if the bookmarklets can be installed and if they work on other browsers.

http://marcos.kirsch.mx/2012/04/29/font-size-bookmarklets/

Installing on your mac and syncing to iDevices via iCloud works great.

I did that on Safari to the mini and use Perfect browser on occasion as well. Not sure those macros would work on other browsers. Maybe I will throw some searches into google to see what someone may have come up with chrome and dolphin to increase font size.

Kayakphotos

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2012
Naples, FL
Mercury Pro here. I have been using it with an enlarged font instead of safari. I have also experienced the "disappearing keyboard" on occasion and it is slightly slower than safari, but other than that I really enjoy it.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I now have the font on Perfect Browser set to 110% and I can pretty much read nytimes and CNN now in portrait mode. The brightness setting and room lighting makes a big difference to be able to do this. I use to have it set at 120% for those sites.

I am a little more open to folks feeling the mini screen is pretty darn good cause my reading vision is pretty bad. While using reading glasses before and still doing so, I see improvement in reading website text in portrait. If their vision is very good, then I can see them having no problems with the mini.

Piccio

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012
How is possible that Safari can't handle the text reflow? There is "Reader" but it's not the same and it doesn't work in some website. It can't be added or what?

If you got any Android device you should know how incredibly useful and easy to use that function is...

Especially on iPad Mini, where is quite essential manage the fonts size, but also for reading it's ridiculous to scroll right and left at every single line of the text on Safari.

LaurieAnn

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
I'm using Mercury Pro it does Google Chrome Bookmark sync. My bookmarks remain the same among all my devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.