Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caoimhe

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2012
I wanted white, preordered white... then saw them in the shop and chose the black.

shootingstar64

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2008
Monterey, CA
I always purchased my former iDevices in black but this time decided to go with the white iPhone 5 and iPad mini,.... well this decision did not last too long ;)

As of today, i gave the "white'ies" to my wife and treated myself with those awesome stealth looking black/slate models!

All black for me i guess :D

stevo8

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2007
I wanted a white back, but black bezel. Purchased the black/slate, put a white carbon film on the back and stuck it in a white poetic case.. Best of all worlds imo.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
You know they always say once you go black you never go back, but I say once you go white, you always hang tight! I prefer white and I don't find it distracting when watching movies or reading. I darn sure don't see it looking yellow as someone said. Overall I think the white just looks better and besides I got sick and tired of dealing with the fingerprints. OH and for all the white Apple products I've had I've never seen cracks or scratches. There have been tons of reports of the black scratching easy and even overtime looking like crap. No such reports on the white.

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
You know they always say once you go black you never go back, but I say once you go white, you always hang tight! I prefer white and I don't find it distracting when watching movies or reading. I darn sure don't see it looking yellow as someone said. Overall I think the white just looks better and besides I got sick and tired of dealing with the fingerprints. OH and for all the white Apple products I've had I've never seen cracks or scratches. There have been tons of reports of the black scratching easy and even overtime looking like crap. No such reports on the white.

I thought both of these claims were somewhat strange. I wish I could see a white mini in person. The black display at Best Buy has fingerprints all over it (granted it's mostly screen of course so white would be the same there). The black just looks pretty plain and looks just like every other tablet out there in my opinion. I'd like to see them side by side but don't want to drive 30 minutes away to an Apple store.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
If you only watch videos get black. If you do a variety of things get the color you like as there are no solid reasons why one is better than the other.

Mojopin

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2011
my two cents..

I bought the black/slate initially because I felt it looked sleek, was the first iPad with a different backing (other than the silver), and it was my first "gut" choice

After reading and seeing a few complaints about the back/bezel chipping and scratching easier than the white (being OCD :)), I exchanged for a white. I used it for a few days, but I just couldn't bring myself to like the color. This was my first white Apple product so I am historically biased to black.

Yes, it's prob a little better at hiding scratches/scuffs. Yes, it's better at hiding fingerprints. But it was distracting to me as I do watch a lot of movies/shows and I felt the bezel didn't melt away as a black bezel does. I also use some iPhone apps that don't fill the entire screen & found the black bezel also looked more seamless when I did

In terms of fingerprints, the border around where you would normally grasp a mini is so thin, you really don't have much surface area for showing many fingerprints. I rarely touch the top area of the mini and the bottom I just use the home button but have minimal fingerprints there if any.

So back went the white and once again got a black/slate and have been happy ever since. Thus far it's been perfect I have it in a Joy Factory SmartSuit case and have no scratches/scuffs on it.

Another thing to mention about the black/slate is that I primarily like black cases/folios/covers and the black is just more seamless in that area as well IMO. I like the monotone look, very sleek, stealthy.

But as everyone mentioned these are all personal preferences, we all love what we love so there is no right or wrong color to get.

supertomtom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
Went with black. Have the LTE version and felt the black plastic band on the back matches much more nicely with the anodized back than the white version. No scuffing or any other issues. Fingerprint isn't even really that big an issue to be honest.

M

Mr.damien

I had the black and currently own the white iPad mini.

White is better all around -- doesn't show fingerprints and dust as much as the black. White doesn't distract when watching movies... I think it's a misconception.

I think so too, or all TV should be black ...

ninermac

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
I prefer slate... of course I did the same for my 5. I consider it the Darth Vader of devices. Haven't bought my mini yet, but when I do, that's what it will be.

kindaobsessed

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2010
Houston, Tx
I had gotten iPhone 4 Black, iPhone 4S cause they looked the same and wanted it to see as though I had gotten a new product on the iphone 5 I got black - Big Mistake, any scratch on the side wears off the paint, i wanted to take back but ATT would not let me. When i got the ipad Mini that stuck in my mind so i got the iPad mini white, no regrets. I love my white ipad mini, when i have an upgrade for phone I plan on giving my daughter my iphone 5 black and getting white. I think black looks sleek but white is more natural with the aluminum finish. I dont know why am being so picky as I never go naked with any of my products, but just knowing the scratches are there kill me. I treat my apple products like they are my children, they are very well taken care of and those little scratches bug the hell out of me.

----------

By the way i had to return my Macbook Air because could not side the bevel being aluminum in place of black bevel around my macbook pro. That is the only thing i saw when i was on it.

Intruder

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2005
St-Hubert (Qc), Canada
On my side I got the white/silver combo.

It match the color scheme of my old Mac Mini on my desk and also think it make it look different compare to other tablets that are mostly all black colors.

Ohhh and...

Nazgûl dress in black, but Gandalf wears white. Case closed. ;)

Last edited:

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Looks like everybody like to match? I have a white iPad mini and white iPhone 4, I want my iPhone 5/5S to be black!

Yup. Matching black iPad Mini and iPhone 5 with matching black paint flaking off.

I started with a white Mini but felt black looked better and all 3 of our Mini's are black. But now I'm concerned about resale value since the black bezel paint does seem to chip away pretty easily (even the one in a case has problems). I dont regret getting black but I do hope future generations of black products are more durable against standard wear and tear.

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
Yup. Matching black iPad Mini and iPhone 5 with matching black paint flaking off.

I started with a white Mini but felt black looked better and all 3 of our Mini's are black. But now I'm concerned about resale value since the black bezel paint does seem to chip away pretty easily (even the one in a case has problems). I dont regret getting black but I do hope future generations of black products are more durable against standard wear and tear.

I feel the same too. I initially had the black mini but took it back due to the paint chipping off. The white mini does not have this issue. But hopefully Apple sorts out the issue with black products because the slate looks amazing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.