Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
True they nailed it with the iPad I love mine. I use it more than the iMac now

Sorry to hear you have had issues transitioning. I have been using Macs since 1996 and continue to use Windows PC at work so have evolved with both OSs. But it qualifies me, I believe, to pass considered judgment on both OSs. And without doubt the Mac OS is the less clattered, faster and more intuitive of the two. Added to that the overall general lack of malware on Mac OS (because partly due to the way the OS sandbags third party software), and most of my Macs still run as fast as the day I bought them.

Give it time. You will get the hanf of it. One very simple tip would be to use spotlight more if you don't like Finder. It takes a bit more discipline to name your files in a more logical way but it should help. With regards to music and pictures, the 'abyss' is purposefully built in to stop Jo Public messing things up. But you can do things to allow you to see these files in Finder.

Dare, I say though given your leaning toward the iPad for everyday use, your computing needs are not particularly heavy duty anyway so perhaps you are not really getting the best out of such a beast of a machine?

Ak907Freerider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
Sorry to hear you have had issues transitioning. I have been using Macs since 1996 and continue to use Windows PC at work so have evolved with both OSs. But it qualifies me, I believe, to pass considered judgment on both OSs. And without doubt the Mac OS is the less clattered, faster and more intuitive of the two. Added to that the overall general lack of malware on Mac OS (because partly due to the way the OS sandbags third party software), and most of my Macs still run as fast as the day I bought them.

Give it time. You will get the hanf of it. One very simple tip would be to use spotlight more if you don't like Finder. It takes a bit more discipline to name your files in a more logical way but it should help. With regards to music and pictures, the 'abyss' is purposefully built in to stop Jo Public messing things up. But you can do things to allow you to see these files in Finder.

Dare, I say though given your leaning toward the iPad for everyday use, your computing needs are not particularly heavy duty anyway so perhaps you are not really getting the best out of such a beast of a machine?

Ok clear the air here in a sense I love the Mac. For one it is quiet two screen is awesome. The speed issue is due to final cut software not osx. Like I said the speed is still there just not in final cut. My main gripe is lack of help for new users. The salesmen I bought it from through apple was awesome very reassuring. After the initial purchase help has been hit or miss. Sometimes I will get a employee who is super helpful other times I get some guy who knows very little. Iam happy that even when the service is bad at least they. Speak in my language. I am at the point now where using the machine is easy just the initial start was rocky. As I keep saying it will come with time just need to drive it.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
Actually buddy been doing heavy video editing for quite awhile. I will admit iam new to osx and final cut iam coming from windows and Sony Vegas so two totally different animals. For my work I do CCTV work for my cities water systems, basically run a remote controlled robot with a camara and record water lines for problems. Think I know a little bit on how video files work. Issues I was having was the way osx handles video files. So maybe you should think before you type because you don't know what your talking about. Not every person who has a rough go of osx to start out is a troll. I'm learning it and trying maybe you should open your mind a bit and try new things to

Lemme guess you drive a Chevy to huh cause all fords are stupid. And if your a mechanic and you specialized in Chevy transmission for years and you happen to need to do a ford and you run into problems does this make you stupid also just wondering

Your the exact type of person who will never learn a new thing due to your close minded thinking. Now go run along to another forum and bash another new apple users who had a rough start. There are plenty of us out there remember you were new once also

I'd like to know what exactly I said that led you to believe that I had a closed mind. I even preceded my statements in my post with things like "I'm sure the OP has his reasons, but..." To avoid sounding like I was blatantly insulting you. I also never called you a troll once. I don't think that you are.

It was your interpretation that led you to believe that I was calling you stupid. My grandfather is one of the sharpest people that I know, but he's sparsely used a computer in his life.

Again, regardless of the inconvenience, go to an Apple Store and have all of your problems solved. No use in complaining; it's the solution for your issues. Other companies don't have such stores to go to.

Also, I do know what I'm talking about in terms of video. I'm a student, but I
work at my University's planetarium producing 8K video and animation for the theater. We use both Windows and Macs, but they seem quite similar to me in how editors handle video. Import files, edit, export to a standard format. It's just files in folders on both systems. Perhaps you're overthinking it.

mapleleafer

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2009
Sometimes I will get a employee who is super helpful other times I get some guy who knows very little.

Apple is part of the real world. It has the same proportions of knowledgeable and ignorant people as any other large group. If your purpose in coming to this forum was to get help with Final Cut, you came to the wrong place. Again, I recommend the Apple forums,

https://discussions.apple.com/community/professional_applications/final_cut_pro_x
https://discussions.apple.com/community/professional_applications/final_cut_studio
https://discussions.apple.com/community/professional_applications/final_cut_express_hd
https://discussions.apple.com/community/professional_applications/final_cut_server

If your purpose was to complain about Apple, of course you're going to encounter some sensitivity.

Ak907Freerider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
Apple is part of the real world. It has the same proportions of knowledgeable and ignorant people as any other large group. If your purpose in coming to this forum was to get help with Final Cut, you came to the wrong place. Again, I recommend the Apple forums,

https://discussions.apple.com/community/professional_applications/final_cut_pro_x
https://discussions.apple.com/community/professional_applications/final_cut_studio
https://discussions.apple.com/community/professional_applications/final_cut_express_hd
https://discussions.apple.com/community/professional_applications/final_cut_server

If your purpose was to complain about Apple, of course you're going to encounter some sensitivity.

No not to complain but to share my expierience switching to osx after buying iMac. Good bad and ugly

philosopherdog

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
Start by learning to use finder. Files never just disappear. You need to take 10 minutes and learn finder. Lots of videos on it. It's so simple. Nobody is forcing the use of iPhoto. Use whatever you want or learn how to use it. It's not the best app, but if you take 10 mins to learn it you might actually appreciate it. OS X is brilliant, but it can't help someone who isn't willing to do a bit of minimal investigation. It's not the OS. It's you! So either learn it or go back to Windows. Simple. Assume it's you and you'll be much better off. The 10 mins it took you to write your complaint could have been used to learn Finder! Apple can only do so much hand holding.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.