Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arcangel6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
Wisconsin
Hi,

I recently dropped my iPad Mini which resulted in damaged glass and case (see image below). Believe it or not the iPad is fully functional. It is a Verizon LTE model that I purchased direct from Apple. I do not have a contract with Verizon, rather I pay as I go (1 gig/Month $20).

My question is regarding the new iPad Mini (Verzion LTE) I ordered as a replacement. It should be here in a week. Can I just swap out the Sim cards for LTE service?

OR

Do I have to deactivate the the first Mini and open a new acount?

Thanks in advance.

Joe

iPadGlassFx1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

stuaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
Is the Mini you are getting on a contract or Pay as you Go also? If its the latter you should be able to just plop the sim in.

arcangel6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
Wisconsin
Is the Mini you are getting on a contract or Pay as you Go also? If its the latter you should be able to just plop the sim in.

Hi,

It is not on a contract. I pay as I go. So I should be able to just swap out the Sims? Does it matter if I restore the new iPad before or after I swap the Sims?

By the way, I purchased that first iPad Mini (and the 2nd as well) using American Express. I was able to successfully file a claim and get my money fully refunded through them!

Thanks,

Joe

stuaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
Hi,

It is not on a contract. I pay as I go. So I should be able to just swap out the Sims? Does it matter if I restore the new iPad before or after I swap the Sims?

If its pay as you go, then just take it out the broken Mini and put it in the new one when it arrives.

Restoring the iPad with the Sim in or out makes no difference.

Hope that helps.

kevroc

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
If its pay as you go, then just take it out the broken Mini and put it in the new one when it arrives.

Hope that helps.

I actually don't think you can do this. As this is normal with GSM carriers, I had a problem with Verizon.

I tried to take the sim from my iPad Mini and put it in my iPad 4 and it didn't work. There's a process where you have to call Verizon because they tie the SIM to the Device. It's not an easy process. I tried and the Verizon rep inadvertently nuked both sims. I ended up returning both iPads. After buying a new iPad, I called Verizon as I still had a pre-pad data plan that I wanted to use on my new Ipad. The first 2 times I called, the rep had no idea what I was talking about and transferred me to their post-paid department. They also start off by asking for your phone number or they can't help you, yeah, that's dandy. After the 3rd or 4th attempt I got to someone that asked me for the Sim #, the IMEI from the iPad, and after 8-10 minutes I was back in business.

So, I would not try and 'swap' sims. I would call verizon to have them transfer the service to the new sim instead.

If you google "transferring verizon ipad data plan" or something to that effect you should find a link on Apple Support site with the Verizon 800 number to call.

stuaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
I actually don't think you can do this. As this is normal with GSM carriers, I had a problem with Verizon.

I tried to take the sim from my iPad Mini and put it in my iPad 4 and it didn't work. There's a process where you have to call Verizon because they tie the SIM to the Device. It's not an easy process. I tried and the Verizon rep inadvertently nuked both sims. I ended up returning both iPads. After buying a new iPad, I called Verizon as I still had a pre-pad data plan that I wanted to use on my new Ipad. The first 2 times I called, the rep had no idea what I was talking about and transferred me to their post-paid department. They also start off by asking for your phone number or they can't help you, yeah, that's dandy. After the 3rd or 4th attempt I got to someone that asked me for the Sim #, the IMEI from the iPad, and after 8-10 minutes I was back in business.

So, I would not try and 'swap' sims. I would call verizon to have them transfer the service to the new sim instead.

If you google "transferring verizon ipad data plan" or something to that effect you should find a link on Apple Support site with the Verizon 800 number to call.

I guess the safest thing to do is ring Verizon as they have the answer. I just assumed they would behave like other carriers when you have a 'sim only plan'.

arcangel6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
Wisconsin
I guess the safest thing to do is ring Verizon as they have the answer. I just assumed they would behave like other carriers when you have a 'sim only plan'.

Hmmmm maybe I will just activate the new mini as is.

Thanks,

Joe

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.