Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
I've used the iPhone exclusively since it was first released and owned every generation. I love the software, and value what I believe to be the best industrial design on any mobile phone made to date.

Over the years, I've kept up with Android and Windows Phone competitors, and whilst I recognise they are getting closer to the iPhone overall, I still think they're not there yet. Particularly, when it comes to ease of use and hardware design. That said, I haven't used them as extensively as the iPhone and haven't taken the time to set them up as I would the iPhone, in order to truly compare.

Here's the dilemma. I own the iPhone 5. I recently won a sim-free Samsung Galaxy SIII. I LOVE the size of the SIII display. Not ridiculously oversized like the Note, but more appropriately sized for my taste than the iPhone 5. That said, I don't like how the SIII renders fonts, I don't like the unpolished appearance of the OS, and I prefer the design and build of the iPhone.

However, I keep coming back to that display. It's stunning.

I can only justify keeping one handset.

Tell me, forum friends, is there anything to consider in the SIII that I might prefer over the iPhone 5? I use Apple products throughout my home. An iMac, iPad mini, Apple TV etc. I realise the SIII won't integrate as well, but can be managed through DoubleTwist if I wanted. I was impressed when I was playing back a video on the SIII and I saw an option to wirelessly stream that to my Samsung Smart TV - I'll admit that's a feature I was ignorant of.

So, iPhone and Android users - give me your feedback. Help me decide!

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
I've used the iPhone exclusively since it was first released and owned every generation. I love the software, and value what I believe to be the best industrial design on any mobile phone made to date.

Over the years, I've kept up with Android and Windows Phone competitors, and whilst I recognise they are getting closer to the iPhone overall, I still think they're not there yet. Particularly, when it comes to ease of use and hardware design. That said, I haven't used them as extensively as the iPhone and haven't taken the time to set them up as I would the iPhone, in order to truly compare.

Here's the dilemma. I own the iPhone 5. I recently won a sim-free Samsung Galaxy SIII. I LOVE the size of the SIII display. Not ridiculously oversized like the Note, but more appropriately sized for my taste than the iPhone 5. That said, I don't like how the SIII renders fonts, I don't like the unpolished appearance of the OS, and I prefer the design and build of the iPhone.

Tell me, forum friends, is there anything to consider in the SIII that I might prefer over the iPhone 5? I use Apple products throughout my home. An iMac, iPad mini, Apple TV etc. I realise the SIII won't integrate as well, but can be managed through DoubleTwist if I wanted. I was impressed when I was playing back a video on the SIII and I saw an option to wirelessly stream that to my Samsung Smart TV - I'll admit that's a feature I was ignorant of.

Everything I say here are only based on my opinion and mine only. It is for you to agree or disagree but here I go.

iPhone 5 is better than S3 because:
- Better App store selection
- Better Camera, but I do find the S3 has better performance in very dark environments like in bars/clubs
- Smaller, more portable and lighter.

S3 is better than iPhone 5 because:
- Play Store is better than the App store in every way except for selection
- Larger Screen provides a generally better experience when it comes to content
- I hate the square edges of the iPhone 4/4s/5, this is my main reason why I did not buy an iPhone 5. The rounded edges on the S3 fits much better in my hand
- Android is far more customizable than iOS and somewhat has more features
- Build material: Many argue that S3 feels cheap but I prefer it over the scuff prone aluminum that many argue that it is bendable with time.

Overall, I have been very disapointed with the iPhone 5. I was not disapointed with the 4S since it came with Siri which I enjoyed using. iOS 6 seemed more like a downgrade for me when I was beta-testing it.

One important thing to note for the S3, the phone is so much better when running CM10.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA

I faced the same decision about the time the iPhone 4S came out. I had the 4 and I loved the screen on the Galaxy SII and finally made the decision to get one. I like you have Apple products throughout my home, Mac Pro, Macbook Pro, Various iPads, Apple TV etc...

I just couldn't get used to the OS. I'm a long time tech geek and programmer, so it wasn't that I couldn't figure it out. I just found that although I liked the screen and some of the features of Android, I missed my iPhone and found it way too hard to get things many times. I stuck it out for almost a year but when the iPhone 5 came out, I decided to get one.

I an soo glad I came back. I just feel way more comfortable using IOS. I'm really finding I use SIRI a lot. I do miss the screen of the Galaxy, but I wouldn't go back now. It's just sitting on my desk.

This is just my experience and I'm not saying the Galaxy is a bad phone. It's an excellent device, but I just like the iPhone better.

makotoisle

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2012
I have had both and can give the reasons why I'm back on an iPhone.

Galaxy S3 Pros:

Bigger screen
Google integration (I'm a heavy Google user.)
Better maps
Google Now is really cool

Galaxy S3 Cons:

Voice recognition was never accurate for me, however, on my iPhone, I use it almost exclusively instead of typing.

I dislike their "touchwiz" version of Android. Immensely. The whole nature theme is just obnoxious to me.

No integration. I have an iMac/Macbook/AppleTV and I like using my iPhone as a remote for the AppleTV.

Also, I don't know if it was a fluke or what, but sometime while I was using the S3, they made it incompatible with the Android connection app for Macs, so I couldn't use my computer to transfer files or save backups. Maybe they fixed it by now, I dunno.

People say the plastic was more durable, but I disagree. I had a white version, so I don't know if that matters, but my phone was nothing but swirl marks all over it.

I eventually rooted the phone to dump the whole "Nature Inspired" stuff, but then I went through that horrible cycle of finding roms, upgrading, realizing something was broken (i.e. in this rom update, people can't hear you on the other end of the phone!), downgrading, etc. I know that I'm probably one of the 1% and could have avoided all that hassle if I hadn't rooted, but like I said early, I extremely disliked the Samsung version of Android.

Widgets were kind of cool at first, but I began to feel like the cluttered the screen without offering any real value. Sure, I could see the weather or my calendar at a glance, but I would usually want more information that could fit on a widget which would cause me to just open the app, anyway.

I think the biggest issue for me was the whole breaking of Android transfer app for the Mac. It was beyond frustrating to me. I also think I would have enjoyed far, far more if it were a Nexus with stock Google so I didn't have to jump through hoops to remove the Nature theme.

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
I recommend posting this over to the iPhone Alternatives forum, as you will get a more diverse set of answers from people with similar dilemmas.

As for integration, you probably have to ask yourself how often you use your iPhone to perform X, Y, or Z, and is there an Android alternative. I am a recent iPhone 5-to-Android converter and have not missed any aspect of integration, even with my iMac, iPad 3 and Time Capsule. I can see how this could be an issue for someone with an Apple TV, or some AirPlay-enbled speakers, but when I'm at home, my phone solely becomes a phone, while the iPad becomes the browsing device. That has not changed even with my Nexus 4. Ultimately, your integration needs could be handed off to your iPad Mini if you choose to stick with your GS3.

Were you able to update to Jellybean on your GS3? I think the OS is quite polished and really smooth, and I am pretty content with the stock UI. I do encounter stuttering with a few apps, but not enough to bother me.

I really enjoy my Nexus 4 and have since then boxed up the iPhone 5. Once you get used to the 4.7-4.8 inch screen, it's SO hard to go back. Either way, go with what you enjoy the most. What will keep you content for months down the road? The iPhone 5 is a solid device. I just simply got bored of iOS and welcome diversity in my line of gadgets :D

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL
Having just returned a Windows Phone recently (specifically, the Nokia Lumia 920) I can understand your position. The Windows Phone OS has come a long way and the hardware just seemed to go so very well with it. Lots of big, bright colors and a smooth design almost won me over.

However, I came back to the iPhone for the following reasons:

• Lack of applications, and applications on the Windows Phone platform weren't as robust
  • No iTunes, iCloud, FaceTime, Siri, or iMessage support
  • Cheap overall feel compared to iPhone
  • Larger phone required two hands for some applications
  • Unhandled exceptions (Crashes/Hard Lockups)
  • Needing to duplicate schedules/reminders across platforms

I realize not all of these apply to Android but I think at least some do. I have a co-worker who is very happy with his S3 and I have to admit the phone is very attractive. But to me, Android OS isn't something to compare to iOS. Good luck to you, whatever you decide.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
Since you're integrated into the Apple family, ask yourself a simple question: Is my life going to be significantly altered? If you had not received the SIII, would you be able to make calls, text, surf, etc., happily on the iP5?

I understand the urge to try new and exciting things, but at the end of the day...I'm able to do exactly what I need to do with my iPhone. The more Apple adds in the future is just icing on the cake.

Don't get me wrong, when my friends pull out a N920 or SIII, I'll ask to look at it. I think...wow, this is nice...but there is no way I'd give up my iPhone due to the overall integration with the rest of my Apple products.

I am a fan boy, but I don't begrudge anyone who likes another platform better. To each his own. If the SIII does more for your needs, go for it. But to me, a screen (no matter how awesome) would not force me disrupt my integrated IT.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Tell me, forum friends, is there anything to consider in the SIII that I might prefer over the iPhone 5?
That's really for you to answer. Spend some time with it and actually use it. No one can tell you what you'll prefer.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
How is the guy trolling the man speaks sense. You do know you can change the font the phone uses and install a different launcher from the market to change the look of the phone quite a bit.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
How is the guy trolling the man speaks sense. You do know you can change the font the phone uses and install a different launcher from the market to change the look of the phone quite a bit.

Because, the poster in question obnoxiously quoted me without actually answering the questions I raised. This isn't about deciding for me, and I shouldn't have to explain the very obvious question that several users before you managed to decipher with relative ease.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
Because, the poster in question obnoxiously quoted me without actually answering the questions I raised. This isn't about deciding for me, and I shouldn't have to explain the very obvious question that several users before you managed to decipher with relative ease.

Why you even asking this question in the iPhone section where only a small minority here have even touched S3 let alone had extensive experience with one so next time you're asking questions about a non-iphone make it in the correct forum :rolleyes:

Ericcc

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
Montreal
Op, using both phones to compare / trying out the SIII through every day use does make sense.

Now that you have both phones, why not get a nano to micro sim adapter and use the SIII for a week or two as your main phone? If you encounter any issues, you got a lot of experience in Alternatives sub-forum to help you out.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Why you even asking this question in the iPhone section where only a small minority here have even touched S3 let alone had extensive experience with one so next time you're asking questions about a non-iphone make it in the correct forum :rolleyes:

I've been here a lot longer than you and I posted it in this forum as it has more users and I considered it to be the best place to get some viewpoints.

Here's a pro forum tip, if you have nothing to contribute to a thread - don't open it. Now, please troll elsewhere.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
I've been here a lot longer than you and I posted it in this forum as it has more users and I considered it to be the best place to get some viewpoints.

Here's a pro forum tip, if you have nothing to contribute to a thread - don't open it. Now, please troll elsewhere.

You're the one that started with the bad attitude and i did contribute to the thread, who cares what you considered correct this is the wrong section so next time get it right huh.

Last edited:

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I have had both, I compared them extensively for a month. Both are superb phones and either will be a worthy phone to own.

Customer service is by far and away superior with the Apple product. If it stops working then take it to an Apple store (If one close by) and swap it, you cant get better than that. There are no Samsung stores near me, or for that matter, IIRC in the UK.

I preferred the larger screen on the S3, my eyes are 55 years old and found that the larger screen suited them better.

Once I got used to Android ICS and then JB I quite enjoy it, it does take some time though, don't compare it against iOS, take it in it's own right. I chose the S3 in the end.

Enjoy the phone you choose, either is stunning.

Edit: I do believe that the iPhone would hold it's value better, but do not know for fact.

2nd Edit; O2 do an adaptor for the different sim sizes of the two phones.

Last edited:

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia

Here's a forum tip, do you actually expect that anyone should help you now after you've reacted aggressively towards a number of people trying offer suggestions? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

mikegasol

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2012

Keep the S3 then sell your iPhone for a new ipod touch which is basically the 5 without the call feature. I don't even miss my 5, the touch is the same thing in a lighter and more attractive package

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
I just could not get used to Android, no matter how hard I tried! I had a 3G and a 4, tried an SII I think it was and couldn't adjust to the OS. That plus it was going to cost a fortune to replace all the apps I have purchased over the years from the iTunes Store! Ended up back on my 4 for another year and am now the happy owner of a 5. Form factor, screen size, and OS all do it for me whereas the various Androids I have played with and the one I actually owned for about 2 days just didn't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.