Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CountrySeacow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2012
Hello,
I am moderately new to applescript editor.
I have written code to copy a file from (for safety purposes named-) "DISK1". "DISK1" is a USB disk drive. A file, named "APPNAME.app", when the applescript is run, is supposed to be copied to the users desktop.
I know how to specify for one user, but I want to be able to run this script on any computer, and for it to still work without having to modify the script before running it.
My code is as follows:

Code:
tell app "Finder"
	activate
	set x to file "APPNAME.app" of folder "FOLDER2" of folder "FOLDER1" of disk "DISK1"
	set y to folder "Desktop" of folder "USERNAME" of folder "Users" of startup disk
	copy x to y
end tell

Any help would be useful, and i apologize if this topic is anywhere else on the forums.

Thanks!
CountrySeacow

CountrySeacow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2012

Okay, well i think the might normally work, but how to i put that into this script?
(in line;
if exists file "Macintosh HD:Users:USERNAME:Desktop Minecraft.app" then
)

Code:
tell application "Finder"
	activate
	if exists file "Macintosh HD:Users:USERNAME:Desktop Minecraft.app" then
		display dialog "it exists"
	else
		tell application "Finder" to move entire contents of folder "app" of folder "Minecraft_Mac" of disk "MINECRAFT" to folder "Desktop" of folder "USERNAME" of folder "Users" of startup disk
	end if
end tell

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.