Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What's your ideal laptop size?

• 11.6-inch

Votes: 6 2.9%
  • 12.5-inch

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • 13.3-inch

Votes: 68 32.5%
  • 14.1-inch

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • 15.4-inch

Votes: 93 44.5%
  • 17.3-inch

Votes: 22 10.5%

• Total voters

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
It's not the size of the boat; it's the motion in the ocean;)

Seriously though, I prefer 15" just because 17 is neat but kinda too big for the whole laptop thing and the 13 just feels too small. Of course ask a question like that and 10 people will probably give 10 different answers

I learned; It's not how deep you fish but how you wiggle your worm ;)

anyway I all growd up and a 17" mac just isn't that heavy, if it is you might consider the gym or just growing a pair..:p

raptorstv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
Im probably gonna have to go with the 15"

I really hate carrying it around... But for gaming and opening multiple documents simultaneously its really a killer notebook

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
Interesting that the 17" remains very much niche. I have not exactly caved in to the 15" rMBP as yet, but I have been hands on with it, and I've also put out a feeler as to the value of my current MBP 17"

The retina display may compensate for the loss in real-estate, but I'm still sort of on the fence....So I voted 17"

I'm with ya...I used 17" MBPs solely for 7 years. I've got a 2011 17" and wasn't really in the market this year for another laptop

...until I played with the new 15" rMBP that is;)
I bought one in September and I'm not looking back. I'm still keeping the 17"-- and I put a Samsung 830-512gb ssd in there, expanded the RAM to 16gb...but the 15" is still my 'go to' machine these days. I'm happy with everything about it. Good luck with your decision...mine was tough as well. As much as I hated to see the big ones go, the performance, display and I/O options on the new rMBP are more than enough to sway me permenantly to the 'retina' camp. I'm no longer missing the 17" option

For those that consider the 17" too heavy, that's silly...even discontinued, for what it offers vs. the competition, it's a svelte package. The weight and size never bothered me as it's definitely a viable desktop replacement. As well, if you didn't update last year, there are some excellent choices in the refurb market at apple.com or on eBay...again with the option to slap an ssd inside, extra RAM, even a secondary HDD in the optical bay slot still makes this an excellent choice if you need the 'power and real estate' of the 17"

We also have a pair of 11" Airs. One for my wife and one for myself. We do a lot of traveling around the state of Alaska and it's the only way to go when you're on the run

In the poll, I selected the 15" model as I believe with the retina screen it's the optimal design for both casual and power usage.

Jer

michial

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
The ideal laptop size is whatever you want. Who cares what others want. Go check out the versions in the apple store and pick what you like. That is what will make you happy. Pick the one ideal for you and enjoy :)

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
My favorites are 13", 14", 15", 17"

I have very specific uses for each.

That said, if I only had the need or desire for one, it would be a 13".

Lanarae

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2011
I've had the 15in. and the 13 in. Macbook Pro and I have to say I really like the 13 in. :) because of its size.

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
17" is the Mother of all notebooks because the MacBook Pro is for PROSumers standard, ultimate size, you don't pick this up if you're just wanting to look good at a cafe, you'll look stupid or dramatic for sure. Show off !! Plus cafes are for socializing or relaxation, for those who have notebooks at cafes - man - lame-O ! Grow some muscles and quit whining about "lugging and weight", get over it.

Just spent an two hours at a cafe practicing with Gunsmoke dailies on my monster 17 incher. Ladies didn't know what to make of it.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
I've tried everything from 11 to 17 inches. If I'm going to own only one notebook then the 13 inch is my favorite size.

I found 11 inch screen to be a little too small for getting work done and using for long hours. The 15 and 17 inch have a bigger footprint than I like for using 'everywhere', such as on my lap or in cramped quarters when traveling etc.

Right now I have the 13 inch retina MacBook Pro with 768 SSD and it's the best laptop I've ever owned. I like it more than my 13 inch MacBook air because of the screen, it's quicker, has more ports and even a smaller footprint.

I have a Mac Pro and other computers and tablets but my new 13 inch retina is my go to machine. I use it more than anything else, my Mac Pro sits at my desk and collects dust but it works well as a server and for occassional heavy lifting tasks.

raptorstv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
I've tried everything from 11 to 17 inches. If I'm going to own only one notebook then the 13 inch is my favorite size.

I found 11 inch screen to be a little too small for getting work done and using for long hours. The 15 and 17 inch have a bigger footprint than I like for using 'everywhere', such as on my lap or in cramped quarters when traveling etc.

Right now I have the 13 inch retina MacBook Pro with 768 SSD and it's the best laptop I've ever owned. I like it more than my 13 inch MacBook air because of the screen, it's quicker, has more ports and even a smaller footprint.

I have a Mac Pro and other computers and tablets but my new 13 inch retina is my go to machine. I use it more than anything else, my Mac Pro sits at my desk and collects dust but it works well as a server and for occassional heavy lifting tasks.

How's the portability like for the retina 15"? The weight is basically the same as the regular 13" MBP

whg

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012
Switzerland
I have a 15" MBPr that replaced my 2010 Air. They weight is OK for traveling, but the size was uncomfortable in trains etc. Therefore I also got the 13" rMBP which is perfect! Now I use the 15" mainly at home only. Before the Air I had the 13" cMBP which has the same weight as the 15" Retina and I had no problem with the weight. The main reason I changed to the Air was not the weight but the higher screen resolution.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I went with the 15" in the poll and in real life.

I tried an 11" MBA at the apple store and found the screen and text too small. The 13" is great mobility wise but the lack of screen real estate was an issue for me (running lightroom, photoshop and gotomypc).

The 17" is just a giant monster and its portability is less then that of its other smaller brothers.

That basically leaves the 15" which to me is the sweet spot in laptops and I own a 15" rMBP

raptorstv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
I have a 15" MBPr that replaced my 2010 Air. They weight is OK for traveling, but the size was uncomfortable in trains etc. Therefore I also got the 13" rMBP which is perfect! Now I use the 15" mainly at home only. Before the Air I had the 13" cMBP which has the same weight as the 15" Retina and I had no problem with the weight. The main reason I changed to the Air was not the weight but the higher screen resolution.

Damn... Youre a lucky man

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
It's definitely the sweet spot between the 13 and 17.

Apple doesn't make 17" laptops anymore, so the choices are 11–15.

I think if you do a lot of work and need a 17", the 15" is super nice and you just need to get an external display and plug it in when you get home. A 17" is a bit too heavy to lug around and most of my friends who are designers definitely complain after they get the 17".

Just because Apple is not making them anymore doesn't mean they are not available. There are plenty of 17" on the market, new and used...

Baytriple

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2012
I'm so sad that apple doesn't cater for me any more I really enjoy using my 17 incher. If I want any smaller ill use my iPad or phone.

2high2aim

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
SoCal
I love my MBP 15 but its a little annoying to be traveling around with it. I will be getting a 13 mbp once I feel this one is outdated. The 15 is a great size and feels very solid but the 13 is more portable (less powerful) but the general person will not usually use it to the max. Also depends on what you are doing with your computer.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
I went with the 15" in the poll and in real life.

I tried an 11" MBA at the apple store and found the screen and text too small. The 13" is great mobility wise but the lack of screen real estate was an issue for me (running lightroom, photoshop and gotomypc).

The 17" is just a giant monster and its portability is less then that of its other smaller brothers.

That basically leaves the 15" which to me is the sweet spot in laptops and I own a 15" rMBP

I also have a 10.1 inch netbook and I know what you mean about the screen real estate. It's just entirely too small and makes my eyes hurt. I have a 13" and I guess it's big enough but I don't know, I have a feeling I would've been just a tad bit happier with the 15".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.