Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
I have used gmail forever now and figured I would give the app another try since I last tried it a couple years ago. It was horrendous back then. It seems top notch now? Worthy of me actually moving it into my bottom row to replace the default iOS mail app. Figured I would give it a chance for awhile.

Any other opinions? Or tricks?

Thanks

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
I have used gmail forever now and figured I would give the app another try since I last tried it a couple years ago. It was horrendous back then. It seems top notch now? Worthy of me actually moving it into my bottom row to replace the default iOS mail app. Figured I would give it a chance for awhile.

Thanks

I love it. Most reviews have been very positive.

KirkL

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
United States
Seems pretty good. My only complaint is that the notification badge shows unread emails, but there aren't any when I open the app :mad:

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
Seems pretty good. My only complaint is that the notification badge shows unread emails, but there aren't any when I open the app :mad:

Hmm mine is working fine so far. Nice to have push email back though. I did not setup exchange since I got the i5.

Edit..actually this reminds me of why I gave the app a second chance today. I am so tired of Opening the default iOS mail app and waiting for it to update and tell me there is an email. Usually I see the data thing circling saying its doing something, then it stops, then starts again. By this time I usually figure I have no email an close the app out. Then I hear the notification sound indicating an email :mad:

I tHonk that first part of the data usage is syncing contacts or whatever other tHings are enabled for syncing from your account, then email follows. Should be reversed :

Last edited:

KirkL

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
United States
Hmm mine is working fine so far. Nice to have push email back though. I did not setup exchange since I got the i5.

Edit..actually this reminds me of why I gave the app a second chance today. I am so tired of Opening the default iOS mail app and waiting for it to update and tell me there is an email. Usually I see the data thing circling saying its doing something, then it stops, then starts again. By this time I usually figure I have no email an close the app out. Then I hear the notification sound indicating an email :mad:

I tHonk that first part of the data usage is syncing contacts or whatever other tHings are enabled for syncing from your account, then email follows. Should be reversed :

Mine started acting up today. It was fine the past few days.

Yep. It's also nice to have proper conversation view back...

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
It's quite slow on my 3GS after the 2.0 update, so I deleted it and went back to the default mail app using exchange. :)

bteam

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012

I had a similar problem. After opening an unread message, the unread count wouldn't disappear.

It works now, but since I haven't experienced it in a few days it's an intermittent bug and programmers sure love those kinds of bugs.

I have no expectation of Google fixing it any time soon unless it personally affects a Gmail app developer.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA

Thanks

Works so much better than it did when Google first released it. I love how it automatically sends a notification when I get mail, like exactly when it comes into my inbox. It's so much better than the default mail application.

KirkL

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
United States
That happened to me too, but I had to force restart the app and now it works fine :)

I arbitrarily marked a read email as unread and then I "read" it. This solved the problem for me :)

But now it won't send any emails :confused: I had to close and re-open the app for it to work.

It's definitely better than before, but still needs a bit of work to iron out bugs like these...

Scott-n-Houston

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2008
Houston (duh)
I love it. On advice from a friend I installed it so I could audibly hear a personal email vs a work email (using the native mail app).

It's now on the bottom row. I love that it's push, and notifications are instant.

jordancrombie92

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2012
United Kingdom
much prefer it! got 3 gmail accounts and can easily access them from the app without any hassle of constantly physically signing in and out. much faster, quite like the loading icon.

My only criticisms.
  • Not having the next/previous email arrows, for quickly moving through emails.
    Not having an option to mark all as read or a select all button

Personally I find it a lot easier and a much nicer experience compared to Apple's Mail app

SuperSnake2012

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2005
NY
The app works well but I noticed since installing it, my battery life has been dropping faster than ever. I disabled all of my accounts to see if the app has been causing it.

RWil85

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
much prefer it! got 3 gmail accounts and can easily access them from the app without any hassle of constantly physically signing in and out. much faster, quite like the loading icon.

My only criticisms.
  • Not having the next/previous email arrows, for quickly moving through emails.
    Not having an option to mark all as read or a select all button

Personally I find it a lot easier and a much nicer experience compared to Apple's Mail app

True.

I found myself trying to swipe between emails, etc - how could they not put that into the app?

Also, the user above me posted about battery life - being that it pushes multiple accounts vs. Apple Mail's fetch schedule, I'd imagine it would consume more battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.