Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
I love how my iPhone always tells me when apps have updates, but is that possible on iMac as well for FREE?

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Both iTunes and the Mac App Store have badges like on the iPhone to show you when updates are available. Am I missing the question?

Are you saying that when I load itunes or app store in snow leopard that it should check all my apps etc, for example checks flash player etc and tells me there is a new update avaible?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Are you saying that when I load itunes or app store that it should check all my apps etc, for example checks flash player etc and tells me there is a new update avaible?
You'll be notified of available updates for apps installed from the Mac App Store. Non MAS 3rd party apps usually have their own process for checking for updates when you launch them. It doesn't work the same way the iPhone does, because Mac apps can be installed from sources that Apple doesn't control.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
You'll be notified of available updates for apps installed from the Mac App Store. Non MAS 3rd party apps usually have their own process for checking for updates when you launch them. It doesn't work the same way the iPhone does, because Mac apps can be installed from sources that Apple doesn't control.

Ok thank you. So much to learn, but I am enjoying learning iMac from scarch. :D

Are there any freeware apps that help check for updates? I found one but it costs money.:(

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Ok thank you. So much to learn, but I am enjoying learning iMac from scarch. :D

Are there any freeware apps that help check for updates? I found one but it costs money.:(
You don't need another app to check for updates. Each app checks for itself, and the MAS checks for updates for apps installed through the MAS. Based on several of your threads, it appears you're trying to install as many apps as possible. You don't always need another app. Mac OS X does a lot of things well, without you having to install apps for everything. I recommend you take some time to get familiar with how OS X works, and only look for an app if you have a specific need that isn't met by OS X.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Audo App Update Feature?

I norticed that Unarchiver have released 3.6 version yet my Mac is runing 3.5, but I am never notified that there is a new version of Unarchiver. Is there a way to get my Mac to automatically tell me that there is a new App version out?

Doing a "software update" reports nothing!

And I seem to have some App installed AJ Application Update which reports NOTHING all the time and has never reported an update!

What can I do?

And how do I remove that worthless piece of junk AJ Application Update ?

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
"software update" will only work on Apple products.
If you buy from the app store, then you get notified.

If you get an app directly from the developer, there's no way to check for updates - each developer has their own website and own way to do updates; no program could deal with all of them.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
There is no app to monitor software updates for non-Apple applications. If you want notifications, you can use the Mac App Store. Otherwise (unless the developer has built an updater into the app), you have to check manually.

Last edited by a moderator:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
There is no app to monitor software updates for non-Apple applications. If you want notifications, you can use the Mac App Store. Otherwise (unless the developer has built an updater into the app), you have to check manually.

I have tried it myself, but I did notice this app on MacUpdate that checks for app updates.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
If you followed all the steps properly and it doesn't appear, it's probably not installed, or the app has a different name.

It appears nowhere, but this is the one, how do I remove this thing because everytime I do a refresh it says its connecting to macupdate, but always says "NOTHING TO BE DONE!" even when there are updates available for some apps I downloaded from macupate.

http://i48.tinypic.com/9j239h.png

Enzedder

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2012
Macupdate Desktop

I have tried it myself, but I did notice this app on MacUpdate that checks for app updates.

I have used MacUpdate Desktop for a few years now and at $20 a year it's (IMHO) the best application for updating 'Non App Store' apps out there. It is one subscription I renew without thought, highly recommended. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.