Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

114051_larger-150x150.jpg
Legendary role-playing game Baldur's Gate has arrived for iPad tonight. It's a port of the beloved 1998 game by BioWare, but updated and enhanced with touchscreen controls and extra content like in-app purchases.

Sister-site TouchArcade notes that Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition requires iOS 6 to play, which rules out the original iPad as a compatible device.
This classic saga of mystery, intrigue, and adventure has set the standard for Dungeons & Dragons(TM) computer role-playing games ever since.

Now, upgraded and enhanced, it comes to your iPad.

* 80 hours of Epic RPG adventure
* Over 40 classes and kits
* Over 100 spells
* over 150 magical items
* New adventure: The Black Pits, a thrilling combat adventure
* New character: Rasaad yn Bashir, a Calishite Monk searching for answers.
* New character: Dorn Il-Khan, a half-orc blackguard with a history of violence.
* New character: Neera the Wild Mage, a half-elf on a quest to control her powerful magic.
Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition for iPad is available in the App Store for $9.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition' Arrives for iPad

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
iPad 1/ iOS 5 support is coming. They just have some memory issues they need to work out first.

iRCL

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Played iPad 4 & iPad 3 multiplayer on Lan, multiplayer disconnected and had weird lag rubberbanding issues. Was pretty disappointed in general with the 'touchscreen' port which really doesn't take advantage of the touch much at all. The UI didn't really feel great and the options menus had all kinds of stuff talking about mouse speed etc.. I can't believe how rushed it feels, considering that it came out so many months late

Renzatic

Suspended
...and the options menus had all kinds of stuff talking about mouse speed etc..

Yeah, I thought that was a little weird myself. I think the touch controls work fairly well, though. The only thing I don't like is the lack of feedback when I press something. Having the doors, barrels, chests, stairs, and whatnot highlight and blink a couple times when you press them would help things out considerably.

Also, it's strange how I have to double-tap to get someone to attack a monster. The first click never seems to register as an attack. Instead, my guys just walk up and stand toe to toe with whatever I originally intended on killing.

JamonBull

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Australia
Love that so many serious games are coming to the iPad. GTA Vice City 10th Anniversary Edition and now Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition! Woo! Kinda sucked into The Walking Dead game at the moment though so these will have to wait.

kot

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2011
It's bad, it's really really bad to release a remake which looks worse than the original and is ridden with bugs not present in the original game.

slicktor

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2010
Anyone know when the one for Mac is supposed to release in the Mac App store?? Thanks!

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
I was hoping for the PS2 console port which turned it into a much easier to get into action RPG/Dungeon crawler.

I loved that game and I honestly think it would make a killer iOS entry.

arcite

macrumors 6502a
The thing is, the source art for the game was lost a decade ago, so it limits how much up-scaling can do. I like the zoom feature though, it has its uses. Playing on iPad 3, I can say that the Retina does show pixels when you are zoomed all the way in, but otherwise the game looks beautiful, a work of art.

BG has never played this good. There is zero wait for transitions, a big plus.
Game play is great too with the touch interface, sure there are a few bugs that need to be worked out with forthcoming patches (particularly fixing a monster spawn bug). Word is that the first iPad patch is already in the oven, waiting for App store approval.

However, the game is pretty good as it is, a masterpiece of D&D RPG excellence. The art, sound, music, characters, story, side-quests are all completely EPIC.

The team who did this port is already working on BGII/TOB, with potential for more infinity games if they do well enough!

RPG NIRVANA! :eek:

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
I'm digging it so far. It'll keep me busy until Eschalon 3 comes out next year. :D

kurzz

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
The graphics is a bit jarring, but I guess it's just shock as to how things have progressed in the past decade. Otherwise, it brings back a lot of great memories. :)

Renzatic

Suspended
Anyone playing on an ipad mini? How's the experience on that?

I was just about to ask this very question. Personally, I think it'd be a little too small, as most everything on the iPad feels right at the cusp of being just large enough to hit comfortably, with some things like items dropped from enemies, being just a bit too small.

Also, I gotta say the game would benefit from a couple of patches. I've had a couple situations where I get someone to cast a spell, and the framerate drops down to nearly single digits. If Beamdog were to fix that alongside the feedback issue, it'd be great. Right now though, it's a little rough around the edges.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Anyone know when the one for Mac is supposed to release in the Mac App store?? Thanks!

Very soon. We might see it before iTunes connect shuts down on the 21st if they can fix the remaining issues and get an expedited review. If not, end of month/early Jan.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I'll pick this up now if it has iCloud support between iOS and Mac, which I can't seem to find any info on.

Otherwise, I'll wait for the Mac version.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I'll pick this up now if it has iCloud support between iOS and Mac, which I can't seem to find any info on.

Syncing is on their to-do list. In the meantime you can move saves manually via iFunbox.

crosspath

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
7/10

My thoughts thus far.

Touch interface is not intuitive and lacks more rugged control.
Old controls and options from original game redundant.
New tutorial added but obsolete in my opinion.
Looting takes a long time. I'm guessing touch precision problems.
Entangle spell effect slooooowed the game on my iPad2. I' guessing this will be a problem in larger combat with other area effect spells.

I don't know if I'm the only one who noticed this thus far but at the crossroads map there is a hidden ring (was there in earlier versions too) but when i try to loot it a variation of wolfs start to attack every time. So i was there until I killed some 6-7 wolfs and then died miserably :) (no ammo).

A side from that I don't really care if its buggy because the fun is "too damn high" :) I finally get to play BG everywhere & anywhere. And i suspect Overhaul will give us some patches with fixes so I'm not that worried so far.

Cheers

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009

It's something they are working on I believe, but no update. With that said, I just wrote a guide on how you can transfer saves from the PC to iPad and this will work for the Mac version as well when it arrives.

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/16454255/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.