Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
I used to think the iPad mini was just an inferior device to the 10" iPad and a misstep on Apples part. Well I decided to give one a try and i'm sold.

The form factor is awesome. Mostly, it's the light weight that makes a huge difference. I bought a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gen iPad, and after enjoying it for a few weeks I would lose interest and sell it and just stick with my iPod Touch.

I think it was because the size and weight of the iPad. The mini is remarkably comfortable to use. For example right now I am lying on my back on my bed typing this. Doing this would be uncomfortable on the 10" iPad. The minis form factor makes it very inviting to use and that makes a world of difference.

I can easily hold it with one hand while watching a youtube video so I can sip a drink with the other hand.

Yet the smaller screen is still large enough to use for longer periods of time. I love the look and the feel of the backing and the dual speakers have a lot of power for tablet speakers.

I am very used to retina displays but on the iPad mini, I don't miss it, and its not a glaring omission to me. The lower price point makes up for it.

Performance is great. The games with high graphics run well.

I had my doubts, but I believe Apple got it right and found the sweet spot with this form factor.

Duwsh

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2012
it is kind of a relief reading this because I have a tendancy to buy things and after two weeks not use them ever again so hopefully my iPad Mini will keep me entertained for the next year.

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
gotta say, I liked the size but everything else not so much... just the opposite of you I suppose....

m00min

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
it is kind of a relief reading this because I have a tendancy to buy things and after two weeks not use them ever again so hopefully my iPad Mini will keep me entertained for the next year.

I bought mine on release day and I can honestly say there have been very few times (such as popping out to the pub for example) where it hasn't been somewhere within arms reach since then. It's just so damn portable.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
The size and design are the only main pros of the iPad mini. After a few weeks of owning the mini I couldn't convince myself that a repackaged iPad 2 with old components was worth $350+ with taxes. The iPad 4 is heavier, but its not unwieldy like people on here make it seem, and other than that the 4 is as close to a perfect tablet that we have.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
The size and design are the only main pros of the iPad mini. After a few weeks of owning the mini I couldn't convince myself that a repackaged iPad 2 with old components was worth $350+ with taxes. The iPad 4 is heavier, but its not unwieldy like people on here make it seem, and other than that the 4 is as close to a perfect tablet that we have.

What are the old components?
The iPad mini has...
Better WiFi
better front and back cameras HD even on the front
Better connector - lightening
Better speakers
LTE, if you get the cellular version
Better screen - even if it is the same resolution
The only thing that is from the iPad 2 is the A5 chip, which is perfectly suitable for a device this size.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
^none of those items in our list are major incentives. The iPad mini is indeed a restructured iPad 2. I returned mine not just because of the lack of retina screen, but in fact it was too hard to not see how I was really paying for another iPad 2 (iPad 2 64GB 3G) I recently sold at a huge loss.

The cameras and FaceTime hd cameras are added in because it would be just a regular iPad 2 if not for the "upgrades"

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Great post, OP. I think the weight makes a difference in ways you wouldn't think about it, such as those outlined in your post.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
I used to think the iPad mini was just an inferior device to the 10" iPad and a misstep on Apples part. Well I decided to give one a try and i'm sold.
I'm glad to see that some Apple fans are capable of changing their opinions. Hopefully this is a lesson learned and people won't act like such jerks anymore whenever someone dares to mention touchscreen Macs or larger iPhone options.

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
^none of those items in our list are major incentives. The iPad mini is indeed a restructured iPad 2. I returned mine not just because of the lack of retina screen, but in fact it was too hard to not see how I was really paying for another iPad 2 (iPad 2 64GB 3G) I recently sold at a huge loss.

The cameras and FaceTime hd cameras are added in because it would be just a regular iPad 2 if not for the "upgrades"

Apple products have the best resale value. How much did you sell your mini for?

And I think you're overlooking the main point of the mini, which is the form factor. If you're only comparing hardware specs, then it's obvious that the product isn't for you. It's like saying the Macbook Air is a bad purchase when you can have a Macbook Pro with a discreet GPU and Retina for only a little bit more. Both products have their purpose.

Tutone

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2011
So basically it's better to buy the 21" iMac over the 27" and so on makes no sense,bigger is better period the mini looks like a child's toy.Also my iPad 4 is wicked fast could not imagine making a old spec purchase with smaller crappy screen. Now don't be offended just my two cents.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Admittedly I was disappointed with the mini but after checking it out, I bought won. I use it 90% of the time at home. My main Internet browser was my MacBook Air. Not anymore.

----------

Apple products have the best resale value. How much did you sell your mini for?

And I think you're overlooking the main point of the mini, which is the form factor. If you're only comparing hardware specs, then it's obvious that the product isn't for you. It's like saying the Macbook Air is a bad purchase when you can have a Macbook Pro with a discreet GPU and Retina for only a little bit more. Both products have their purpose.

Exactly. The air is only 150 less than the MacBook Pro. MacBook pro spec wise is superior but sales suggest people are willing to sacrifice for weight.

Jimmie Geddes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
I've owned iPad, iPad 2, iPad 3, and now the mini. It's by far the most used iPad I've ever owned. It's size and weight makes all the difference. Bigger isn't always better, it's all about how you use it ;) The mini is much more enjoyable to use than a full size/weight iPad for me. I do miss the retina screen at times, but the tradeoff for now is acceptable since I get more use out of the mini. There were times I was reading magazines on my iPad 3 when my hand or arm would get tired (I know it's not heavy, but you know it's not comfortable to hold for a long period of time), it would feel top heavy, I'd have to readjust holding it in different positions. Just like Apple did to the iPod, some people loved the classic full sized iPod and would never think about a mini/nano, but if history is any indicator of how things will play out, the mini is going to be very BIG.

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
I'm loving the mini more and more every day.

Tonight I used it to record live sound using auria. 30-40 Mins of testing(never used the app before in that setting), an hour and a half of uninterrupted recording, two tracks for left and right channel, used only 10% battery and the whole thing fit in a small camera bag. I don't have the interface for more than 2 tracks right not but I might invest later.
First time doing that. Pretty impressed.

Also, I've been taking it everywhere. Even use it as a GPS.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
So basically it's better to buy the 21" iMac over the 27" and so on makes no sense,bigger is better period the mini looks like a child's toy.Also my iPad 4 is wicked fast could not imagine making a old spec purchase with smaller crappy screen. Now don't be offended just my two cents.

Do you pick up your iMacs and move them around? Why don't you compare a more sensible comparison do a MacBook Air vs A MacBook Pro?

Oh yeah because that comparison isn't stupid. Don't be offended by my two cents...

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
I would never pick the mini over the 4 until it was at least remotely even close to being as good. the mini is a huge downgrade in my opinion because of the display alone. once the mini gets a screen that is comparable, it will be a different story but in my opinion the screen is the most important feature in a tablet and the mini simply lacks in that department.

as for the air/pro comparison, that is a much harder decision. I went back and forth for a month but since I was limited to the base model of either, I opted for the pro just because the ram can be upgraded. I could not see myself being stuck with the base 4gb. the first thing I did after receiving the pro was add 16gb of ram and 256bg ssd. I also wanted the DVD drive as I didn't want to use an external. those are just my opinions and I can see someone choosing either way.

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
I travel a lot so weight is important. I moved to a MBA from my old MBP and the weight difference in my bag was amazing. I bought an iPad 1 to try it out and see if I liked the concept and it became my most used device. When I tried the mini, the weight just blew my mind. The screen resolution is the same as my old iPad 1 but the picture is better, colours richer and overall a real step up. Speed is great and now I can slide it in with my MBA and the combination is unbelievably light and battery life is great too.

Some want ultimate power, some want ultimate lightness and battery life. The MBA and iPad mini combined with my iPhone put me out on the road with an excellent set of tools. I know Apple will add retina at some point when the price point and power use suits this new form but for now they were able to drop the entry price to the iPad ecosystem and produce something different from the full size iPads. Same thing happened when the iPod mini came out, complaints about the small capacity but it sold like hot cakes because people liked the design.

This time around I went for more capacity and cellular because that adds more mobility along with the smaller size. The full size iPad with the same capacity and cellular connectivity is a big jump in price and twice the weight so I made my choice. Choice is good, choose what you want based on your needs but I love my mini.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010

The Mini is just as fast as the 4 in everyday use. The screen is far from 'crappy'. The Mini does not get hot, nor feel l like you are carrying a kitchen tile around with you. The Mini exudes Apple - thinner, lighter, more beautiful, 2 speakers, chamfered edge, and looks far more modern than the iPad 4, regardless of retina or not...it is this years best iPad!

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
The Mini has won me over too. It's just so portable and honestly, when I am using it as an ebook, which I often do, the page I have on the screen is same size as the page I read off on my big iPad.

Both devices are absolutely wonderful.

I made the mistake when I bought my first iPad, the iPad 1, of not getting 3G, thinking that I'd never take it out of the house and just use my iPhone when out and about.

Turned out I did have it out a fair amount where I couldn't get WiFi even here in London, so when O2 announced PAYG, I ponied up for the iPad 2 with 3G. But now that I have a Mini, I doubt the iPad 2 will ever leave the house again.

SlasherDuff

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2008
Gator Country
I also took the plunge and bougt a 64gb white mini today. After i took it for a test drive in the store i liked how it felt in my hands and how convenient it is to hold. I dont know if i woulld notice a difference on the screen quality simply because i do have low vision but we shall find out

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.