Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
Single source witnesses mean **** unless you have a story to corroborate it with. This is just the intel analyst in me speaking.

The numerous witnesses are all independent and come from different backgrounds but have the same corroborating story about their iPhone 5 bending with typical use. That is very powerful witness testimony for a class action lawsuit.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
The numerous witnesses are all independent and come from different backgrounds but have the same corroborating story about their iPhone 5 bending with typical use. That is very powerful witness testimony for a class action lawsuit.

I still don't believe it to be powerful witness testimony. All it takes is a few people to put the idea out there that phones bend easily, a bunch of people read it and they start thinking "yeah, my phones bent too because I mistreated it, that must mean it bends easier. I'm gonna go online and tell everyone about my problem." I've seen it many times overseas. A source in a village heard something, they tell us, get paid/rewarded and then go tell their friends. Their friends want to get paid/rewarded too so they go tell another local unit the same thing and claim it as hearing it "from a friend of a friend". Pretty soon, we got a crap ton of reports about the same thing but none of them mean diddly because the original was bogus or unreliable to begin with.

I truly think this is what's happening with most of these cases. People heard about someone getting a free replacement on a bent phone that may or may not have been the fault of the user, so now everyone else wants a piece of the pie and get free replacements on a phone they messed up themselves but are going to blame it on poor craftsmanship and quality control testing.

macjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2011
Nashville, TN
People heard about someone getting a free replacement on a bent phone that may or may not have been the fault of the user, so now everyone else wants a piece of the pie and get free replacements on a phone they messed up themselves but are going to blame it on poor craftsmanship and quality control testing.

I don't think I've heard of anyone getting a free replacement phone. Everyone I've heard with the issue said that Apple refused to replace their phone for free. I'm guessing this isn't a motivating cause.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I don't think I've heard of anyone getting a free replacement phone. Everyone I've heard with the issue said that Apple refused to replace their phone for free. I'm guessing this isn't a motivating cause.

There was one who had a legit issue with the battery overheating and causing the bend in the phone. That was replaced.

Vundu

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
My little girl knocked mine off the counter this morning and mine bent next to the volume down button. It had a bumper case on.

Bent it back a little best I can without fear of damaging it. Works fine so far but definately a weak point.

See how it goes. It is insured.

polish101

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2012
It is amazing how many live in a bubble. Wake up! It is common practice for many to carry their phone in their pocket without damage. Just because you are perfect people and have always handled your phone as a fragile electronic device does not mean the general public has also. The majority of the general public do not not get on forums. Many of you act as elitist, show me the proof, the burden is on you, Apple is perfect, it's your fault. YOU are all LIARS!

I bought an IPhone 5 and its now bent. Apple took care of me and replaced it, thank you. Did I do something to bend it? I don't know, maybe but I treated the phone no differently than any other phone I owned in the past and this is the only phone I had a problem within a month of owning it. I don't remember doing anything that would have damaged it. I even put it in an Otter Box the first day I owned it. Did the Otter Box have something to do with it? Maybe but again should a phone really bend if in a protective case?

It is well known and accepted by Apple that the many phones were shipped new and received by customers that were scratched and scuffed. The representative in the Apple store said he revived his scuffed and Apple CS confirmed it was a problem. So it's confirmed **** happens and Apple is not perfect. Is there any chance that during assembly that some of the aluminum housings get slightly bent? Not all but maybe one in a hundred. Of course not Apple is perfect, never had any problem with any of their devices! Lets just pretend they are not perfect for a quick second. Could the housings get bent during production making them predisposed to bending? Not every single one but one here and there? Silly me, not Apple, sorry I am just another idiot who caries their phone in their pocket just like I have every other one I have owned in my life. Oooops wait I don't carry my phone in my pocket it's an electronic device I keep it on a pillow.

Last edited:

Peterg2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
so is this bendgate thing real or not?

My personal opinion is that these phones may well be prone to bending if enough force (not necessarily an outrageous amount which many would deem "abusive") is applied to it over a period of time.

I never have put my phone in a back pocket and to me that is just asking for trouble. I do, however, put my phone in a front pocket, whether in jeans or a pair of pants. Neither are tight but neither are they baggy. I will often sit down without taking the phone out of my pocket. I have never had a problem with my iPhone 3G and 4.

However, I believe this phone may perhaps have less torsional rigidity than say the 4/4S and when I get around to buying one in the next few weeks I believe I will put it in a holster case just to be safe.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Apple said "XYZ"

WRONG!

Apple has publicly stated nothing. Just because someone that felt some empathy for you for sitting on your phone tells you that they have seen it before, or that they "know of" something is NOT the same as Apple admitting there is a problem.

So far Apple's ONLY "official" statement on all of the tens of hundreds of cosmetic "issues" has been from Tim Cook stating that Aluminum wear was "normal".

That's it. No acknowldgement of anything. Because there IS NO PROBLEM.

If there was, 2 things would happen: 1) sales would be impacted (because companies like consumer reports instead of an OCD fanboy would be reporting the problem) and 2) Apple would acknowledge the problem (like they have done MANY times before (antenna and map "gate" come to mind).

There is no problem. Aluminum bends if you apply enough stress. It also scratches easier than glass. It's thinner, lighter, and doesn't shatter as a trade off for those "problems".

Nale72

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
Sweden
Apple has publicly stated nothing. Just because someone that felt some empathy for you for sitting on your phone tells you that they have seen it before, or that they "know of" something is NOT the same as Apple admitting there is a problem.

So far Apple's ONLY "official" statement on all of the tens of hundreds of cosmetic "issues" has been from Tim Cook stating that Aluminum wear was "normal".

That's it. No acknowldgement of anything. Because there IS NO PROBLEM.

If there was, 2 things would happen: 1) sales would be impacted (because companies like consumer reports instead of an OCD fanboy would be reporting the problem) and 2) Apple would acknowledge the problem (like they have done MANY times before (antenna and map "gate" come to mind).

There is no problem. Aluminum bends if you apply enough stress. It also scratches easier than glass. It's thinner, lighter, and doesn't shatter as a trade off for those "problems".

So just because Apple hasn't officially said so there is no problem with bending or scuffing? If that would be the case I don't believe we would have several scuffing and bending threads, do you? Or are they all making it up? And if they do, why?

Do you really think these people are all liars or have damaged their phones on purpose just to get a new phone or get to cry over it? Or could it really be that these people really have had real problems with their phones?

Putting your hands over your ears and closing your eyes or sticking your head in the sand won't make the problems go away. The only way of making them go away is to accept there are problems and deal with them. That is, if everyone complaining isn't just making this stuff up in some sort of big conspiracy (by Android fanboys maybe?).

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
So just because Apple hasn't officially said so there is no problem with bending or scuffing? If that would be the case I don't believe we would have several scuffing and bending threads, do you? Or are they all making it up? And if they do, why?

Do you really think these people are all liars or have damaged their phones on purpose just to get a new phone or get to cry over it? Or could it really be that these people really have had real problems with their phones?

Putting your hands over your ears and closing your eyes or sticking your head in the sand won't make the problems go away. The only way of making them go away is to accept there are problems and deal with them. That is, if everyone complaining isn't just making this stuff up in some sort of big conspiracy (by Android fanboys maybe?).

those claiming they have issues are in the minority of all those who don't ergo it is not a systemic issue and any problem with hardware is merely covered by the warranty, as intended

this thread has what? 387 replies? numerous posts by the same individuals who do have an issue and many like myself, who do not

hardly telling of a design flaw.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.